The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

22 hours ago, big_palooka said:

My issue with that is, it doesn't jive with the current characterization of him from his players in NE, Mac Jones being just one example. Or guys like Crosby and Adams last season. But those are dismissed as "players often say nice things about coaches". 

So in this article, when something is said positive about him, you dismiss it because "yeah but in Denver" .... Well that was over a decade ago. 

1) weak examples of players saying nice things when there’s no pressure on them    Are just that weak examples.  Do you really expect Crosby to bash JMD on Bussin with the Boys?  Come on!

2) Sadly JMD is doing the same things he did in Denver (and that short bit of time in Indy) all these years later.  Thats the concerning part.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Players couldn’t wait until someone held Carr accountable for his play 

And when’s JMD being held accountable for his errors?

it’s funny everyone keeps trying to pit JMD opponents as Carr zealots.  This argument is about JMD not Carr, Carr’s gone.

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Not really, you have a HC who actually searches the players social media accounts like a crazy person, so why would you open yourself up to financial loss and hardship (ie being traded) that comes from the retaliation that would bring.  I’m sure players spoke privately about it though.  It’s not like speaking out would have brought Carr back.  The writing was on the wall for weeks.

Professionals gonna be professional. 

We had a guy get unceremoniously canned a couple years back. Total bs. He wasn't the best, but was hardly a weak link in the system. 

Nobody officially said a word. Business has to go on as usual.

But at the bar after hours? You bet we talked amongst ourselves about so and so getting railroaded and how if up to us, some of the folks still around would've been the ones getting the axe. That talk started and ended at the bar. At work afterwards, it was the job, not our feelings, that mattered. 

Different scenario, obviously. But needless to say, the correct axe finally fell. And so and so was offered their spot back in short order (karma being what it is, he actually moved up the ladder elsewhere, so good on him). 

I don't expect NFL players to publicly pout about any teammate. I'd quickly ship them off. I'd do the same for anyone publicly throwing the coach under the bus, even if I dislike the coach. You're paid to be a pro, so I expect nothing less. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, massraider said:

Did you find it unusual that none of his teammates really cared when he was benched, or were angry when he left?

you expect them to sit out or something. Tae indirectly said something but he is a humble human being. Same thing with Maxx and Renfrow. Most of our star players are good people.  Waller was a cancer and Jacobs just wants to get paid. Jacobs wants the ball more to get paid. It's like people want Maxx and Tae to demand a trade 

Edited by Humble_Beast
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

And when’s JMD being held accountable for his errors?

it’s funny everyone keeps trying to pit JMD opponents as Carr zealots.  This argument is about JMD not Carr, Carr’s gone.

Funny how that works, ain't it? 

I work in the legal field for the US government. Over the years, I've answered questionable Congressional inquiries from both sides of the aisle. I've had bones to pick with plenty of elected officials who, frankly, have absolutely zero understanding of the law. Hell, my ultimate boss, the head of the entire Department, is a political appointee. 

1. You never, under any circumstances, allow your political feelings to influence your job. 

2. I've had major disagreements with appointees from 3 different administrations. There will inevitably be more. Saying, in private, that I think appointee from administration A is a total idiot does not mean I'm any more or less inclined towards appointee from administration B, or C, or D. It's not an endorsement in any capacity. 

3. If someone under me made such an endorsement, even if I agreed privately, they're getting an earful from me and possibly losing their job. Even when a new administration comes in, you never ever ever publicly say anything about the past administration in your professional capacity. And even in private, you choose your words carefully lest they be misconstrued as using your position to endorse. 

Being critical of McDaniels doesn't mean someone is 100% pro Carr. Like you said, he's gone. It's not about him in any capacity other than to provide general context amd baseline of the last few years. 

• Like 3

we could turn around the defense by 

7- Gonzalez CB

trade into the 20s from the 2nd round pick for one of the 

Kancey/ Van Ness/ Myles Murphy/ Brian Breese 

that would be a huge boost to the DL/DB units. 2 cornerstones, and I don't think it will cost much to trade up 15 spot to the 20s. 

4 hours ago, NickButera said:

Fwiw Hondo's new article had some comments and sources that really cleared up his Carr article. Essentially that McDaniels is very personal and relational as a person, but when it comes to his job, he is very cold and a "do it my way" kind of coach. He compared it to gruden who was less personal day to day but he loved football collaboration and would listen to anyone who wanted to talk football with him, including players who came to him with ideas. (I.e-Carr)

Yep. No collaboration with players. Which I personally dislike. I would want to design an offense/defense around what my players do best. But that's just me.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

7- Gonzalez CB

that would be a huge boost to the DL/DB units. 2 cornerstones, and I don't think it will cost much to trade up 15 spot to the 20s. 

I’ve got to go back and watch tape on Gonzales… pff did a thing on him and said he did everything right but struggled mightily at the catch point.

im not buying what there selling just yet, but it’s worth looking into.

https://youtu.be/Pd80dPNdyKM

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

7- Gonzalez CB

Naw trade back take Porter or Banks add picks take Anudike in the 2nd and 2 more studs with the 2nd and 3rd you just added.

Mazi Smith and a LB, that's how you fix the defense.

Edited by raidr4life

50 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

1st round CB and 2nd round edge is the way to go. Unless the FO changes their mind about carter, Will Anderson drops somehow, or stroud/young make it to 3.

Agreed, that’d be my blueprint as well in a vacuum.

I’d take it a step forward and say a lb and IOL in the 3rd

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 101Raider said:

Agreed, that’d be my blueprint as well in a vacuum.

I’d take it a step forward and say a lb and IOL in the 3rd

In mocks, I've tended to go CB, DT, LB, IOL with the first 4 picks, usually in roughly that order, regardless of accepting a trade or not. 

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

1st round CB and 2nd round edge is the way to go. Unless the FO changes their mind about carter, Will Anderson drops somehow, or stroud/young make it to 3.

Yup agreed, then go G, TE, LB/S ideally.

• Like 1

As much as people want Will Anderson to be the next Nick Bosa, Myles Garrett, Micah Parsons, etc he’s not. I’ve seen so many scouting videos on the guy and they all say the same. He’s a GREAT edge prospect but not generational. The only generational prospect in this entire class is Jalen Carter. And boy oh boy the off-field stuff…

Blue Chippers though, I would consider the Top 3 QB’s, Will Anderson, Tyree Wilson, Christian Gonzalez, Jalen Carter would be the blue chip prospects of this class imo. And without Gruden pulling the strings, one is guaranteed to be a Raider! Pretty exciting. 

• Like 1