The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I wonder how CJ Stroud scored on SO2 cognitive test and wonderlic? Rumors are Bryce was in the 99th percentile and Richardson in the 90th percentile. Whereas Stroud is rumored to be way behind both, which is definitely kind of concerning. Ohio State QB’s already have a bad rap for processing speed in the NFL. And if Stroud scored badly on both of those tests, especially SO2 cognitive (many GM’s like this test for processing speed), then will he have trouble processing progressions in the NFL like all other Ohio State QB’s before him? 

Food for thought, I guess. It’s pretty annoying they don’t release SO2 and wonderlic until a day before the draft. 

The SO2 is still fairly new hasn’t been around long enough to find holes in it yet but, it has shown that elite QB's score pretty high, is it full proof I don't know.

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Top, yes. But I’m always searching for that superstar/elite Top 6-7 guy. I think Stroud’s ceiling is that 8-9 range and best QB in the league that’s not “elite”. If that makes any sense. 

No, that doesn’t make any sense.

I just want to start by saying I mean no disrespect or have any malice saying this…

Who cares about arbitrary QB rankings and where you, or anyone, projects Stroud to land in there?  And for 6-7 to be acceptable (to you) but believing Stroud would top out at 8-9…. That’s a totally subjective razor thin margin.  Do you really think GMs think like that?  

If a GM/team believes Stroud is talented enough to be a franchise QB for them, fits the scheme, and the best player available then they draft him.  If not they pass.  

again no offense meant… but this is another example of you having a confirmation bias:  the tendency to find evidence confirming your biases in situations — even if that evidence is purely circumstantial, ignoring information that doesn’t confirm your stance. 

You have the opinion that Stroud won’t be good enough to warrant drafting at  certain pick.  Just say that.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I just can’t ever see Stroud being elite like Allen, Mahomes, Burrow. But he’s a guy that can become a Top 10 guy and win you a ring if the entire roster is near perfect. He will be in the Prescott, Cousins, Carr, Lamar tier of QB’s, but he has the ability to be #1 of the tier. 

My concern with Stroud is that he literally had 3 1st round WRs he threw to as well a top 5-10 pick next season. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

You can say the same about other Ohio State QB’s too. The system has not translated well and progressions are much easier than a traditional NFL pro offensive system.

Don’t get me wrong, I like Stroud a lot and would love to have him. Just keeping an open mindset about possible positives and negatives.  

I don’t believe in the whole “other QBs from the same college” thing, especially when we’re talking significant amounts of years down the road.  Different coaches, different systems, different players = different results.

Maybe you can find some correlation or comparison from Stroud to Fields…. Or any player and the player he immediately replaced after graduation/leaving assuming the coaching staff remained the same.  If a coach isn’t teaching a skill then it’s fair to Assume Both players would be weak in that area, Or maybe the scheme doesn’t require much of something- so it’s not a strong suit for both players since they haven’t done it consistently.  But even then there’s varying degrees of the questioned skill And two different players will Have varying experiences improving on the assessed weakness once they get to the NFL. 

Simply put…. You got a million variables and just one common thing: the team.

4 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

My concern with Stroud is that he literally had 3 1st round WRs he threw to as well a top 5-10 pick next season. 

It’s could actually end up being 5 with Harrison but also Egbuka possibly being a 1st rounder too.

20 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

He will need great weapons for sure. 

ALL young QBs need weapons.  Heck, even established QBs will suffer when the team lacks quality receivers and an offensive line.  The same could be said about Young… and certainly Richardson.

Your saying something that says nothing and acting as if it’s a justification for your previous statements.  

Even teams with “elite QB prospects” like Burrow paired their young QB with high level Receiver talent.  Teams like Buffalo with Josh Allen and Jacksonville with Trevor Lawrence that didn’t initially have that saw their QB suffer until they did and then saw a significant jump. Miami invested heavily in weapons for Tua.  

Every team who drafts a QB high in round 1 will commit the resources needed to surround him with talent as soon as they can because it’s recognized that it’s a necessity.

Edited by jimkelly02

Latest 4 round Mock, traded down added some picks and decided to go mostly BPA according to the simulator with need in consideration if its close. Is this a homerun???

24. Joey Porter Jr. - CB

38. Michael Mayer - TE

46. Mazi Smith - DT

60. Derick Hall - Edge

70. Hendon Hooker - QB

78. Daiyan Henley - LB

90. Luke Wypler - OC

100. Emil Ekiyor Jr. - OG

131. DeMarvion Overshown - LB

135. Jaquelin Roy - DT

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

No, that doesn’t make any sense.

I just want to start by saying I mean no disrespect or have any malice saying this…

Who cares about arbitrary QB rankings and where you, or anyone, projects Stroud to land in there?  And for 6-7 to be acceptable (to you) but believing Stroud would top out at 8-9…. That’s a totally subjective razor thin margin.  Do you really think GMs think like that?  

If a GM/team believes Stroud is talented enough to be a franchise QB for them, fits the scheme, and the best player available then they draft him.  If not they pass.  

again no offense meant… but this is another example of you having a confirmation bias:  the tendency to find evidence confirming your biases in situations — even if that evidence is purely circumstantial, ignoring information that doesn’t confirm your stance. 

You have the opinion that Stroud won’t be good enough to warrant drafting at  certain pick.  Just say that.  

It’s not about the specific number. It’s just that there are usually only 5, maybe 6-7 Elite QBs top in the nfl at any given time. If there are 9 and Stroud is one, great. But there is never nine. 

The main point is, take numbers out of it. You can forget I said it entirely. I don’t think Stroud ever develops an Elite QB skillset like Mahomes, Allen, Prime Rodgers, etc. He’ll never be in that elite tier. 

With that said, I still absolutely love Stroud. 

Like many, very hit and miss when it comes to QBs, but I'll say I'm just as scared of Stroud then I am Levis.  

His situation is a lot closer to Mac Jones then people want to think. We was a game manager behind one of the best O-lines in the country, the best WRs group for two years and NFL running backs.  Yet, he looked terrible under pressure, he struggled to play off script until the Georgia game. 

His style of QB, you're looking at Burrow for best case and I just don't see it outside of that one game!! 

My options on other QBs;

Young, Best in the class but I'm not sold that it's just his size that will stop him being elite. Would trade up for him though.  Watson is my Comp

Levis, I was high then very low and coming back up to what it probably should've been. See him as a top 20 talent. Wouldn't trade up for him but wouldn't be going crazy if we take him at 7, would be a numb feeling if anything.  Age and pocket awareness scare me.  I think his accrucy is down to his feet which can be fixed.   Don't like his body, too Brady Quinn for me.  Wentz is my comp. Can he be pre injury Wentz? 

Richardson, I'd love him at 7 and wouldn't mind a trade up either. Love his arm, pocket awenress and his accrucy isn't as bad as many say, never going to be elite with it but with his ability to make plays, I think you can build around that.  It's the lay ups he struggles with.  Probably can be coached.  Josh Allen is my Comp. 

Hooker I'm not that high on. Age, the scheme and he looked stiff.  Get the vibe he'll be a Bridgewater level QB.  He'll look okay at times but you'll always want that next guy. 

DTR, Tune and McKee are the guys I want later in the draft. Bagent interests me but I haven't seen him play enough for an option.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BayRaider said:

He will need great weapons for sure. 

Yea that’s the biggest concern in my opinion. Powerhouses like OSU have deep teams. His weapons were whipping corners getting open and making plays. He was still making good throws but what happens when his WRs are average. Panthers and Texans both have mediocre WR cores. 

Stroud would need a core like ours to mirror what he had at OSU

• Like 1

9 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Latest 4 round Mock, traded down added some picks and decided to go mostly BPA according to the simulator with need in consideration if its close. Is this a homerun???

24. Joey Porter Jr. - CB

38. Michael Mayer - TE

46. Mazi Smith - DT

60. Derick Hall - Edge

70. Hendon Hooker - QB

78. Daiyan Henley - LB

90. Luke Wypler - OC

100. Emil Ekiyor Jr. - OG

131. DeMarvion Overshown - LB

135. Jaquelin Roy - DT

Pretty damn close. 

I'd personally forego TE until day 3 because I like the potential of Hooper/Howard getting a real shot, but I get the idea. 

• Like 2