The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, FloydFan said:

The only offensive player that makes sense there is a QB.

With at least the top two QBs gone (and with even better options likely in 2024), that may be the worst option.  Start at #7 and Ziegler can score a top 3 DE, two top 5 Safeties, and a top 7 CB, LB, and DT. 

Of the remaining three pivots (i.e. QBs Hooker and Levis, RB qua QB Richardson) there is no consensus that any will be significantly better than Garoppolo.  On the contrary, there will be sharp division on who is the best choice and at least a two to one chance of the Raiders getting it wrong.

1 hour ago, raidr4life said:

4 round no trade mock.

7. Jalen Carter, DT

38. Jack Campbell, LB

70. Tyrique Stevenson, CB

100. Cameron Latu, TE

109. Ricky Stromberg, OC

Not a fan of Carter, but it has little to do with on-field potential. 

That aside, I'd say that'd be a slam dunk first 5 picks. 

Carter is good-great if motivated

Campbell screams stud LB

Stevenson is a sleeper CB for me

Latu is solid, even if I'd target a TE post 109 myself. 

Stromberg is a solid choice. Gets James out of the way and would allow Parham to continue to grow at OG. 

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

With at least the top two QBs gone (and with even better options likely in 2024), that may be the worst option.  Start at #7 and Ziegler can score a top 3 DE, two top 5 Safeties, and a top 7 CB, LB, and DT. 

Of the remaining three pivots (i.e. QBs Hooker and Levis, RB qua QB Richardson) there is no consensus that any will be significantly better than Garoppolo.  On the contrary, there will be sharp division on who is the best choice and at least a two to one chance of the Raiders getting it wrong.

It's not about if they will be better than Garoppolo this year, it's if they identify him as the guy going forward and want him to be the long term plan for the future. Also if we take one of the safeties in this class at 7 over someone like Richardson that's crazy, this safety class is meh at best and none deserve to be drafted that high. I'm not high on AR but if the staff think he is "the guy" then taking him at 7 is fine if he is there and that presents good value.

4 hours ago, raidr4life said:

@DessieDrafting a C like Wypler now you can cut James sign the former Broncos LG move Parham to RG just saying let things play out.

Haven’t seen Henley so low but hard not to like it otherwise. Ekiyor can play center as well can’t he ? 

16 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Haven’t seen Henley so low but hard not to like it otherwise. Ekiyor can play center as well can’t he ? 

Ekiyor is a pure RG all his snaps the last 3 years have been at RG. I like him because if the plan is to keep Parham at LG or move to C at some point then give me a career RG and let him play RG, I like versatility but sometimes it seems they go overboard with that, give me a guy who plays his position well and let him play it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, raidr4life said:

4 round no trade mock.

7. Jalen Carter, DT

38. Jack Campbell, LB

70. Tyrique Stevenson, CB

100. Cameron Latu, TE

109. Ricky Stromberg, OC

Everyone has the right idea this year. Let's hope they dont' do a grudock and just make smart picks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FloydFan said:

Also if we take one of the safeties in this class at 7

No one is suggesting we shouldn't prioritize team needs.  Quite the opposite:  we should put needs before wants.  Wasting a critical tempo in Round #1 would be questionable at best.

Six teams with markedly worse QBs than Garoppolo are chasing five starting QBs in 2023.  On both the supply and demand side the QB market rates to be more favorable next year.  We just need a little patience.

13 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

No one is suggesting we shouldn't prioritize team needs.  Quite the opposite:  we should put needs before wants.  Wasting a critical tempo in Round #1 would be questionable at best.

Six teams with markedly worse QBs than Garoppolo are chasing five starting QBs in 2023.  On both the supply and demand side the QB market rates to be more favorable next year.  We just need a little patience.

Oh I absolutely agree on needing patience with this draft and don’t get me wrong I am totally about staying at 7 and drafting best defensive player available. My point was just that if there was going to be an offensive player we drafted there it better be a qbotf because it’s the only way I can start to see the logic in it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FloydFan said:

My point was just that if there was going to be an offensive player we drafted there it better be a qbotf because it’s the only way I can start to see the logic in it. 

There is no question that QB is, by far, the most important chess piece on the board.  (A recent geek discussion argued that, in evaluating teams, the QB is worth the rest of the players combined.) 

The issue is what constitutes a "need" at this position.  If Super Bowl QB Garoppolo creates a need then at least half the league should be concentrating their draft resources on upgrading their QB in annual drafts that produce, on average, about two top 24 pivots per year.

21 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

There is no question that QB is, by far, the most important chess piece on the board.  (A recent geek discussion argued that, in evaluating teams, the QB is worth the rest of the players combined.) 

The issue is what constitutes a "need" at this position.  If Super Bowl QB Garoppolo creates a need then at least half the league should be concentrating their draft resources on upgrading their QB in annual drafts that produce, on average, about two top 24 pivots per year.

To be fair just calling Jimmy a Super Bowl QB removes a ton of context to the genuine concerns about him. He’s never worked with a bad defense, has been injury plagued his whole career, etc. I’m not nearly as down on Jimmy as some and am all about benefit of the doubt, but he has plenty of concerns that would warrant drafting someone to have as the future, but like I said it matters if the value and fit is there. You don’t just draft on to do it. 

2 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Interesting news from Shefter…

No QB at #2 or #3 

I don’t believe this for a second, lol. Especially with Irsay tipping his hand and also saying it. I still think Texans 90% go QB at 2. And even if Texans pass on QB, someone will trade to 3. Indy is not getting the second QB. They are dreaming. 

• Like 3