The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

I think the O is set up for a young qb . . .but the D is still a mess.

Unfortunately in this league, all people care about our wins. We could have a young QB throw well, but this forum will write him off if we go 4-13 because our D struggles. 

Go D heavy in this drft, and make a move for qb in 24. Jimmy will be fine for 1 or 2 years. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

The offense has a solid group of pass catchers including an all pro in Adams. An all pro RB. An above average LT to protect the blindside. I'd say it's a damn good situation for any young QB to step into. 

The Oline is not as bad as exaggerated and outside RG, will be fairly solid. The defense will get an influx of talent via the draft and should improve slightly if they hit on the right pieces (CB for example). 

Lastly, the Raiders were not playing catchup last year. They blew several leads. So that argument is weak as well. 

All that said, I'm totally fine waiting until 2024 for a young QB and building up a bad defensive roster. But to act like the offense is not situated to have a young QB strive, is misguided in my view.

Adams is a stud, no doubt about it.  Meyers is a slow average #2 and Renfrow regressed last year although I think he can still be a good slot WR.  We have a good WR corp but it takes more than 3 players to make an O good.  Our TE's are JAGs and Jacobs is holding out so who knows what happens there.  I also don't blame him for the holdout as he knows the plan is to run him into the ground.  Back in the Brinks truck for a long term deal or else hold out...  It will be interesting to see how it ends but if the Raiders cave and pay him I think that would be unwise. 

Outside of Miller we have nothing proven along the Oline.  JE tested FA and came back on a 1 year 3M contract.  That speaks volumes about what caliber of player he is despite fans on here propping him up.  James is also a bum who is overpaid.  Parham showed promise but is far from a proven commodity.  Bars is a joke...

Don't get me started on the D as we still have no pass rush which will make it difficult for any incoming rookie CB to have success, regardless of that fact we still need one as we have a collection of Jag's as our current starters.  Jones is an old, over paid, washed up bum.  We need an interior disruptor as we have bums along the interior and a young stud on the opposite side of Maxx.  

The move is to trade back and draft a CB or an edge rusher.   If we can't the philosophy doesn't change, draft the best CB or edge rusher and hope he is an elite stud.  

1 hour ago, OldManWillis said:

Gonzalez and Witherspoon I'd love. The OL would definitely be underwhelming selections at #7.

I honestly just want the trenches minus Skoronski unless we move down. I'm sick of not getting pressure on the QB so preferably on the defensive side of things. We have arguably the best QB in the league in our division and a couple others who could be excellent (giving Russ a pass for last year). You beat guys like that by hitting them and we were 3rd worst in sacks, gave up almost more yards and points per game than anyone else in the league also. I know people want the sexy method of just outscoring everyone but I don't like that and it's not working. Let's try to build a bully on the defensive side of the ball..... not gonna get my hopes up though

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I honestly just want the trenches minus Skoronski unless we move down. I'm sick of not getting pressure on the QB so preferably on the defensive side of things. We have arguably the best QB in the league in our division and a couple others who could be excellent (giving Russ a pass for last year). You beat guys like that by hitting them and we were 3rd worst in sacks, gave up almost more yards and points per game than anyone else in the league also. I know people want the sexy method of just outscoring everyone but I don't like that and it's not working. Let's try to build a bully on the defensive side of the ball..... not gonna get my hopes up though

Agree. Keep adding disruptors. You can never have enough guys who get after the QB. Second to having a great QB, is a defense full of guys who can disrupt one. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Agree. Keep adding disruptors. You can never have enough guys who get after the QB. Second to having a great QB, is a defense full of guys who can disrupt one. 

**** is so annoying. Expectations are very low for this season w/ Jimmy as our QB so let's start to build on that side of the ball to try to bust these guys in the mouth instead of just being walked over all the damn time.

34 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I'm sick of how season after season the defense is ignored.

If it were up to me this entire draft be defensive picks with a OL or two. Ideally we trade back in 1st, draft Deonte Banks, with 38 grab FAU, and move back up into the 2nd to grab Dexter or Mazi Smith, then in 3rd grab Noah Sewell. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

I don’t mind Peter Skoronski with a trade down to a let’s say 11. Those extra picks would make it easier to stomach. 

If the Raiders are not gonna take Richardson at 7. They better be ready to trade down 

Don’t see Richardson making it past Seattle.

41 minutes ago, OldManWillis said:

If it were up to me this entire draft be defensive picks with a OL or two. Ideally we trade back in 1st, draft Deonte Banks, with 38 grab FAU, and move back up into the 2nd to grab Dexter or Mazi Smith, then in 3rd grab Noah Sewell. 

If we did exactly as you said, all D and a couple OL, I will thoroughly enjoy that as well. It certainly won't happen though, unfortunately. 

2 minutes ago, OldManWillis said:

This. It doesn't matter how good the offense is if the D remains garbage. We need the wiggle room for the offense to hit a speed bump or two during the season and not see them get out of sync and the season go down the toilet because our D is a bottom feeder. And I'm just beyond tired of seeing our D piss away wins all the time

Our O could add nothing for the rest of the off season and I would still place them firmly in the upper half of the league, possibly even within the top 10. 

Our D could add a ton and still probably rank in the bottom 1/3 of the league. 

Time to start closing the gap, I say. 

• Like 2