2022 Around league

dll2000

18 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Adding Buckner next year would be interesting.  

I was actually thinking about this yesterday - with all our cap space, we might be able to prey on teams that are up against the cap with some high priced guys that are still good. Buckner was the first guy that came to mind. was gonna look at other high priced guys and what their teams cap space is.

Imagine trading a 4th for buckner to play 3T then signing payne to play NT. i would then use another 4/5 on a developmental edge like robinson

1 minute ago, HuskieBear said:

we wont be drafting high enough for carter. he's going top-5, and it's starting to look unlikely were up there. 

We are scoring points, but still actually losing.

But yes, other teams are looking more horrid and schedule has some winnable games upcoming.

I think teams are going to adjust to Justin now with heavy boxes, pressure and press coverage.   Going to take away screens and run.   Be interesting to see how Bears adjust to that.

Really only answer is your outside WRs have to win off LOS and fast.   

19 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I think some of you are getting alittle ahead of yourselves here. But maybe thats just me cautioning against not committing long term money on guys who havent proven themselves.

I really like Mooney, and I originally had him as an Extension guy this offseason, but the start of the year has me hitting the pause button. If the offense keeps up through the rest of the season, and he is that good again, then sure probably something that is coming.

And yes we used draft capital for Claypool, but just assuming both sides want and extension already seems premature.

To be clear, I’m not of the mind that we have to extend either guy, because that usually leads to massive overpays. I think the team will pursue a multi-year extension with Mooney at least though. I made my case for how a 1-year extension for Claypool could be mutually beneficial a few days back.

It makes sense for both players and for the team IMO if they can get something in place that gives them a bump ahead of FA with escalator clauses if they grossly outperform a new deal. Stability for Fields has value, and locking in Claypool and Mooney sets a far more reasonable floor than what we came into 2022 with as well. I’m thinking shorter extensions for both though. Both are young enough to seriously consider a bridge type deal that rewards them a bit a year early but still lets them get a huge FA payday should they blow up too.

I’m not giving either #1 money or close to it though. 

They will offer extensions to both Mooney and Claypool in the offseason. Mooney is a given, the start of the season won't matter with how things are trending. Claypool will get an offer because they trade for him to be part of the long term plan and alternate options are crap.

I do not know if either will sign them, but they will both get real offers.