Tales from the Eagle-verse

Kiltman

6 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

I came on here to post the Jesse Bates tweet but I should have known that you have some alert for every Honest NFL tweet and it goes from their fingers to this forum lol

Lmfao I was on Twitter struggling to sleep when he posted it and conversed with him a little bit further about the safety situation after that

Glad Grayland found a home with the Texans.

Really hope Epps steps into that starting role and shows out after a promising season in 2021.

If he does just that like Maddox did as the slot CB, then I can see the Eagles extending him (UFA in 2023) midseason just like w/ Avonte last year.

Then, we would only have to worry about filling 1 safety spot going into the offseason which would be nice.

16 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Glad Grayland found a home with the Texans.

Really hope Epps steps into that starting role and shows out after a promising season in 2021.

If he does just that like Maddox did as the slot CB, then I can see the Eagles extending him (UFA in 2023) midseason just like w/ Avonte last year.

Then, we would only have to worry about filling 1 safety spot going into the offseason which would be nice.

It’s hard to even fathom a homegrown talent on defense outside the Dline 

3 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

It’s hard to even fathom a homegrown talent on defense 

Especially at DB where we hardly ever commit high draft capital.... yeah lol.

The most we've spent on draft capital there was Sidney Jones and Rasul Douglas on Day 2 in 2017 and both of them should've probably had better play in their first contract with the Eagles if Schwartz adapted more and didn't focus most of his attention on the pass rush. We saw both Sidney and Rasul play a lot better with other teams last year, so they had it in them. I think Caplan reported one area they missed on with Jones is he didn't have that dawg in him. He wasn't as competitive as you would like a corner to be. I think Rasul didn't have that problem so much, but wasn't put in the best position under Schwartz. Sidney started to pick it up a bit towards the last year he was with us. I didn't think it was smart for us to move on from both of them in the same offseason. I thought we should've at least kept 1 of them for another year, but yeah.

I really think Howie got nervous to spend high draft capital on safety after back when Reid was still here and influencing draft selections we got burned on Allen (more injury related) and Jarrett (just a bust) with 2nd round picks in back to back years. He moved his philosphy to trying to get good safeties who hit the open market in their mid 20s like Jenkins, McLeod and almost Williams this off-season. I think its a smart strategy, cause safety is a harder position to scout how a player will transition from college to the NFL. Howie got burned with the Asomugha and Maxwell big signings at CB and I think that is partly why we have at least spent some higher capital in 2017. But, even at corner we hardly spend high capital there although I'm much more inclined to believe Howie would select a corner back in round 1 before he would a safety just based on pure positional value.

For us to find a diamond in the rough with Epps who we claimed off waivers midseason his rookie year after being waived by the Vikings would be nice and help make up for the fact we cut Jordan Poyer way too soon... just into his rookie season (didn't even give him a real shot) and he went on to other teams and transitioned to safety and developed into an All Pro last year for the Bills. I kinda doubt that would've happened here, so I'm happy for Jordan that it worked out the way it did.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Oh but the pff 25 and under talent list doesn't care about us. We have no young talent. Cowboys got it doe. As usual.

Bad take man. The guys they listed for the Cowboys are fine and the only Eagle from that list that is under 25 and should be on that list is AJ Brown and if you read the article you would’ve seen them make this note about the age cut off:

The cut-off for this list is that the players need to still be under 25 years old when the season begins. That means A.J. Brown and Kyler Murray, among others, are out.

So, them leaving Brown off the list makes sense and honestly even before I went to check the article I kinda figured that making their age at the start of week 1 would make the most sense as the cut off for the list.

Some of those guys younger than Brown could for sure be deserving to be on that list next year like Smith and Dickerson. I think Davis and Dean can definitely crack it in the future, but they haven’t even played yet.

Let’s be fair here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Bad take man. The guys they listed for the Cowboys are fine and the only Eagle from that list that is under 25 and should be on that list is AJ Brown and if you read the article you would’ve seen them make this note about the age cut off:

So, them leaving Brown off the list makes sense and honestly even before I went to check the article I kinda figured that making their age at the start of week 1 would make the most sense as the cut off for the list.

Some of those guys younger than Brown could for sure be deserving to be on that list next year like Smith and Dickerson. I think Davis and Dean can definitely crack it in the future, but they haven’t even played yet.

Let’s be fair here.

I did read the article. Trevon Diggs is a cowboy so he's on it. He lucked into like half of those ints maybe more. Other than the ints he was not good. But yeah I read it and understand why Brown wasn't on it. Just getting tired of these lists not including Eagles lol. Stupid 25 age cutoff always seems to screw us. I just don't like that the "young talent" barometer is 25 and under. I know there needs to be a cutoff but.

Edited by EagleBlueDon