Nacho Simulation Football League (Season 24 - Taco Bowl XXIV POSTED!)

1 hour ago, swoosh said:

I feel 7/8 teams (sorry RTTRUTH) ranked could compete this year with the right moves. 

8. Cox's Bazar Freedom Fighters (Owner: RTTRUTH)
kLXaNMi.png
WR: Michael Gallup (DAL)
OT: Jedrick Wills (CLE), Jonah Williams (CIN)
DE: Joshua Allen (JAX)
OLB: Logan Wilson (CIN)
CB: Darius Slay (PHI)

Summary: RTTRUTH is walking into a difficult situation, like a lot of new owners. The nice thing about this league is it allows for quick turnarounds if you can draft well. 

That’s fair. I appraised the situation the same way. That’s why I didn’t bother over-committing my tags or keeping Matt Ryan. It’s a middling team. I kept the youth with upside and I’ll build from there.

Luckily I have confidence in my drafting. Already up a 2025 10th and 2024 4th & 7th. We’ll see what I can pull off this year. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, swoosh said:

4. Hanoi Viet Kongs (Owner: ravens5520)
6O8y1z8.png
QB: Joe Burrow (CIN)
RB: Dalvin Cook (MIN)
WR: Antonio Brown (FA)
DE: Christopher Jones (KC)
CB: Marlon Humphrey (BAL)
SS: Jamal Adams (SEA)
FS: Minkah Fitzpatrick (PIT)

Total Keepers: 7 (3 offense, 4 defense)

Summary: The Defending Champs made an interesting decision to move DeAndre Hopkins, but I see the appeal of trying to get out in front with that one. In the meantime, Antonio Brown will have big shoes to fill. I prefer Cameron Jordan over Jamal Adams, but Jordan wasn't a great fit at 3-4 DE. Burrow/Cook, paired with four strong keepers on defense, gives Ravens a nice starting point to make a run at defending their title. 

You missed a keeper. Jerry Jeudy PS 

I don’t disagree with you here. Tough to move on from both Cam and Hopkins. His suspension, health, QB play hasn’t inspired me and I am taking the plunge on hype for Jeudy pairing with Wilson. Hoping Cam the best in a 4-3, but I really am curious what I can have as a secondary if I fill the #2 cb with a few targets in mind. 

Love when you guys do write ups! Wish I had the time like I used to. Miss the days of pre-season rankings

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

No notes on how strong the collective keepers are in our conference, @swoosh?

I'm not even talking about my team. There are some l33t dlines and secondaries.

I was 3 teams in, then I poured some whiskey. 

Alright, here we go. Ignore any typos, I've been drinking and usually have a lot of typos regardless (who wants to check spelling/grammar?). 

Hard to say because I left my team out, but I feel like the Cheesy Conference has a little more talent from top to bottom. But again, I left my team out and we all know I'm taking home the title this year. 

Enjoy?

1. Indianapolis Predators (Owner: RandyMossIsBoss)
ysIAyyV.gif
QB: Justin Herbert (LAC)
RB: Alvin Kamara (NO)
TE: Dallas Goedert (PHI)
WR: Calvin Ridley (ATL)
DE: Khalil Mack (CHI), Myles Garrett (CLE)
DT: DeForest Buckner (IND)
MLB: Bobby Wagner (SEA)

Total Keepers: 8 (4 offense, 4 defense)

Summary: I know, I'm bias with Justin Herbert but this core is so damn strong. Mack, Garrett, and Bucker is downright scary. Paired with Wagner to clean things up and you'd have to really screw things up in the draft not to have a great defense. On offense, Kamara had a "down" year last season but is still elite. Goedert looks like he could be a top 5 TE. Ridley will be the key with his suspension, but I think Herbert/Kamara + that defensive core gives them the top spot going into the draft, slightly above Scranton. 

2. Scranton Papermakers (Owner: Scalamania)
Scranton+Papermakers.gif
QB: Kyler Murray (ARI)
WR: DeAndre Hopkins (ARI), Davante Adams (GB)
DE: Joey Bosa (LAC), Cameron Jordan (NO)
MLB: Nick Bolton (KC)
CB: Jaire Alexander (GB)

Summary: Not a ton of depth, but that group of 5 (Hopkins, Adams, Bosa, Jordan, Alexander) could stack up against any group of 5 non-QB keepers. This team will go as far as Murray takes them. He'll be elevated by two absolute studs at WR. I talked about this earlier, but I like Cameron Jordan over Jamal Adams so good trade there to give Joey Bosa someone on the opposite side. Alexander is a stud behind those guys at CB. It'll be tough to throw against these guys (especially after moving Adams 😉). Big threat to contend this year with that core. 

3. Phoenix Rattlers (Owner: bucsfan333)
Phoenix%2BRattlers.gif
QB: Kirk Cousins (MIN)
RB: Antonio Gibson (WAS)
WR: Mike Evans (TB), Deebo Samuel (SF)
OT: Tristan Wirfs (TB)
OG: Joel Bitonio (CLE)
C; Frank Ragnow (DET)
DE: Shaquil Barrett (TB)
OLB: Eric Kendricks (MIN)
MLB: Darius Leonard (IND)

Total Keepers: 10 (7 offense, 3 defense)

Summary: Bucs is going for it this year and I don't blame him. It's really, really hard to compete for titles in this league without an elite QB, but if there's a team to do it's this team. Cousins will be elevated by two great receivers in Evans and Samuel, to go along with three big boys up front. I imagine RB will be a position of focus and if so Gibson will slide to RB2. On defense, Kendricks is probably a borderline keeper at this point but LB is a generally weak position in this league so I see the value. Barrett and Leonard are both great focal points. Good depth, solid star power. Simply lacking an elite QB, but still a threat. 

4. Pittston Waste Walruses (Owner: TL-TwoWinsAway)
CYak5ou.png
QB: Aaron Rodgers (GB)
RB: Aaron Jones (GB)
TE: Darren Waller (LV)
WR: Kyle Pitts (ATL), Amon-Ra St. Brown (DET)
DE: Trey Hendrickson (CIN), Odafe Oweh (BAL)
DT: Jeffery Simmons (TEN)
K: Justin Tucker (BAL)

Total Keepers: 9 (5 offense, 3 defense, 1 special teams)

Summary: Maybe as a unique of a keepers group as you'll find, which is a testament to TL's willingness to mix it up and try new things (neither here nor there, but he's been a great addition to this league). Obviously it starts with Rodgers who gives any team a chance, but TL has surrounded Rodgers with plenty of talent. After trading away Taylor (ty), Aaron Jones was a nice addition and should be a familiar face for Rodgers. 2 top 5 TE's with Pitts lining up at WR. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out. St. Brown had a nice rookie year and was worth a flyer with just one tag, but not sure he'll turn into a legitimate WR keeper once he costs 3 tags. On the defensive line, three young talents which is a great place to start. And then to close things out, the best kicker in the game. Great mix of strong vets with young talent.

5. Freiburg Venom (Owner: SirA1)
Cobra.png
QB: Matthew Stafford (LAR)
RB: Derrick Henry (TEN)
WR: Adam Thielen (MIN)
DE: Maxx Crosby (LV)
DT: Derrick Brown (CAR)
OLB: Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah (CLE)
MLB: Roquan Smith (CHI)
CB: Jaycee Horn (CAR)
FS: Devin McCourty (NE)

Total Keepers: 9 (3 offense, 6 defense)

Summary: Throw my rankings out the window because SirA1 always seems to outperform what I think of his roster. He either is a genius with sliders and/or I just underrate the talent of his roster. Henry is obviously special, but the rest of the roster leaves a little to be desired for me. Stafford just had a big year with the Rams and he's as solid as they come, but I feel he was elevated by that offense. Thielen will likely have a ratings decrease, but he's still a solid keeper at WR. Brown , Owusu-Koramoah, and Horn are all good young talents on defense, but feel they're a little too raw to be stars at this stage. Smith is polarizing at MLB, but LB is weak in general so I definitely get the appeal of keeping him. To close things out, the old vet McCourty is patrolling the secondary. Solid, solid group, just feels a little lacking with studs. Still a threat to compete for a title.

6. New Zealand Blobfish (Owner: EaglesPeteC)
fiCyxiq.png
QB: Ryan Tannehill (TEN)
RB: D'Andre Swift (DET)
WR: Jaylen Waddle (MIA)*, DeVonta Smith (PHI)
DE: Chase Young (WAS), Brian Burns (CAR)
DT: Quinnen Williams (NYJ)
CB: Denzel Ward (CLE)

Summary: I get the appeal of moving on from C-Mac because if he suffers another injury this year, he likely takes a huge dip. With that being said, I'm ranking keepers mostly off of where it puts each team in a position to compete this season. Tannehill is a fine QB, but one that would need to be surrounded with a great supporting cast to compete. Swift, Waddle, and Smith, while great talents, are a little too raw at this stage. 4 good young pieces on defense, but I just think this squad is a little too inexperienced right now. Set up extremely well for the future though. Reminds me of Scoundrel's squad. 

7. Greenland Polar Bears (Owner: Pickle Rick)
HVz3mKE.png
QB: Mac Jones (NE)
RB: Elijah Mitchell (SF)
WR: Chris Godwin (TB), Diontae Johnson (PIT)
OT: Rashawn Slater (LAC)
NT: Vita Vea (TB)
OLB: Robert Quinn (CHI)
ILB: Devin White (TB), Zaven Collins (ARI)
FS: Derwin James (LAC)

Total Keepers: 10 (5 offense, 5 defense)

Summary: I like the move to acquire Mac Jones. Given his rookie season, he has the best chance of any of the young QBs to be able to contribute early in this league. Pickle paired Jones with a couple of other rookies in Mitchell and Slater, whom time will tell if they turn into legitimate keepers but are well worth the tags at this stage. Godwin is a stud and Johnson flies under the radar a bit at WR2. With this write up, I'm just now seeing how good Quinn was last season in the NFL. What? Quinn is paired with Vea up front to clog the middle and a couple of talented middle linebackers behind him. Collins is in the same boat as Mitchell/Slater. Love James in the secondary, we'll see how he bounces back from his injury. Overall a solid group of players with lots of depth, but likely too raw to compete this year. 

8. Lake Minnewanka Ice Orcas (Owner: The Orca)
izJlQju.png
QB: Tua Tagovailoa (MIA)
RB: Christian McCaffrey (CAR)
WR: CeeDee Lamb (DAL), Kadarius Toney (NYG)
OT: Orlando Brown Jr. (KC)
DE: Frank Clark (KC)
OLB: T.J. Watt (PIT)
K: Evan McPherson (CIN)

Total Keepers: 8 (4 offense, 3 defense, 1 special teams)

Summary: Orca was dealt a tough hand not too long ago, as well. I like the move of taking a risk on C-Mac. Fair trade for both teams. C-Mac, if he stays healthy, gives Orca a stud on offense like has on defense with Watt. Other than that, Orca is taking a bunch of flyers. We'll see how Tua does in real life with Hill. I get the appeal there. Lamb is a good, young WR. Toney is talented but can he stay out of his own way? The rest of the group leaves a little to be desired, but we know things take time. Likely won't be in contention this year, but all it takes it one good draft to be right in the thick of things the following year. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Glen said:

Swoosh just stole an elite WR and two tags for a 5th and 10th, from a new owner to boot.

Disgusting act

Meh. Thomas is almost 30, has a suspect QB throwing him the ball and missed the entire 2021 season after playing only part of 2020. He'll be fine in the sim, of course, and is worthy of being kept, but it feels like he's on the downslope.

I also disagree about the trade thing: make trades. Try and educate yourself through past discussion threads first, but make trades. Get players you like in real life and try to build a roster you enjoy. Take some chances. Negotiate. If there's a trade you like: make it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, swoosh said:

Alright, here we go. Ignore any typos, I've been drinking and usually have a lot of typos regardless (who wants to check spelling/grammar?). 

Hard to say because I left my team out, but I feel like the Cheesy Conference has a little more talent from top to bottom. But again, I left my team out and we all know I'm taking home the title this year. 

Enjoy?

1. Indianapolis Predators (Owner: RandyMossIsBoss)
ysIAyyV.gif
QB: Justin Herbert (LAC)
RB: Alvin Kamara (NO)
TE: Dallas Goedert (PHI)
WR: Calvin Ridley (ATL)
DE: Khalil Mack (CHI), Myles Garrett (CLE)
DT: DeForest Buckner (IND)
MLB: Bobby Wagner (SEA)

Summary: I know, I'm bias with Justin Herbert but this core is so damn strong. Mack, Garrett, and Bucker is downright scary. Paired with Wagner to clean things up and you'd have to really screw things up in the draft not to have a great defense. On offense, Kamara had a "down" year last season but is still elite. Goedert looks like he could be a top 5 TE. Ridley will be the key with his suspension, but I think Herbert/Kamara + that defensive core gives them the top spot going into the draft, slightly above Scranton. 

2. Scranton Papermakers (Owner: Scalamania)
Scranton+Papermakers.gif
QB: Kyler Murray (ARI)
WR: DeAndre Hopkins (ARI), Davante Adams (GB)
DE: Joey Bosa (LAC), Cameron Jordan (NO)
MLB: Nick Bolton (KC)
CB: Jaire Alexander (GB)

Summary: Not a ton of depth, but that group of 5 (Hopkins, Adams, Bosa, Jordan, Alexander) could stack up against any group of 5 non-QB keepers. This team will go as far as Murray takes them. He'll be elevated by two absolute studs at WR. I talked about this earlier, but I like Cameron Jordan over Jamal Adams so good trade there to give Joey Bosa someone on the opposite side. Alexander is a stud behind those guys at CB. It'll be tough to throw against these guys (especially after moving Adams 😉). Big threat to contend this year with that core. 

3. Phoenix Rattlers (Owner: bucsfan333)
Phoenix%2BRattlers.gif
QB: Kirk Cousins (MIN)
RB: Antonio Gibson (WAS)
WR: Mike Evans (TB), Deebo Samuel (SF)
OT: Tristan Wirfs (TB)
OG: Joel Bitonio (CLE)
C; Frank Ragnow (DET)
DE: Shaquil Barrett (TB)
OLB: Eric Kendricks (MIN)
MLB: Darius Leonard (IND)

Total Keepers: 10 (7 offense, 3 defense)

Summary: Bucs is going for it this year and I don't blame him. It's really, really hard to compete for titles in this league without an elite QB, but if there's a team to do it's this team. Cousins will be elevated by two great receivers in Evans and Samuel, to go along with three big boys up front. I imagine RB will be a position of focus and if so Gibson will slide to RB2. On defense, Kendricks is probably a borderline keeper at this point but LB is a generally weak position in this league so I see the value. Barrett and Leonard are both great focal points. Good depth, solid star power. Simply lacking an elite QB, but still a threat. 

4. Pittston Waste Walruses (Owner: TL-TwoWinsAway)
CYak5ou.png
QB: Aaron Rodgers (GB)
RB: Aaron Jones (GB)
TE: Darren Waller (LV)
WR: Kyle Pitts (ATL), Amon-Ra St. Brown (DET)
DE: Trey Hendrickson (CIN), Odafe Oweh (BAL)
DT: Jeffery Simmons (TEN)
K: Justin Tucker (BAL)

Total Keepers: 9 (5 offense, 3 defense, 1 special teams)

Summary: Maybe as a unique of a keepers group as you'll find, which is a testament to TL's willingness to mix it up and try new things (neither here nor there, but he's been a great addition to this league). Obviously it starts with Rodgers who gives any team a chance, but TL has surrounded Rodgers with plenty of talent. After trading away Taylor (ty), Aaron Jones was a nice addition and should be a familiar face for Rodgers. 2 top 5 TE's with Pitts lining up at WR. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out. St. Brown had a nice rookie year and was worth a flyer with just one tag, but not sure he'll turn into a legitimate WR keeper once he costs 3 tags. On the defensive line, three young talents which is a great place to start. And then to close things out, the best kicker in the game. Great mix of strong vets with young talent.

5. Freiburg Venom (Owner: SirA1)
Cobra.png
QB: Matthew Stafford (LAR)
RB: Derrick Henry (TEN)
WR: Adam Thielen (MIN)
DE: Maxx Crosby (LV)
DT: Derrick Brown (CAR)
OLB: Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah (CLE)
MLB: Roquan Smith (CHI)
CB: Jaycee Horn (CAR)
FS: Devin McCourty (NE)

Total Keepers: 9 (3 offense, 6 defense)

Summary: Throw my rankings out the window because SirA1 always seems to outperform what I think of his roster. He either is a genius with sliders and/or I just underrate the talent of his roster. Henry is obviously special, but the rest of the roster leaves a little to be desired for me. Stafford just had a big year with the Rams and he's as solid as they come, but I feel he was elevated by that offense. Thielen will likely have a ratings decrease, but he's still a solid keeper at WR. Brown , Owusu-Koramoah, and Horn are all good young talents on defense, but feel they're a little too raw to be stars at this stage. Smith is polarizing at MLB, but LB is weak in general so I definitely get the appeal of keeping him. To close things out, the old vet McCourty is patrolling the secondary. Solid, solid group, just feels a little lacking with studs. Still a threat to compete for a title.

6. New Zealand Blobfish (Owner: EaglesPeteC)
fiCyxiq.png
QB: Ryan Tannehill (TEN)
RB: D'Andre Swift (DET)
WR: Jaylen Waddle (MIA)*, DeVonta Smith (PHI)
DE: Chase Young (WAS), Brian Burns (CAR)
DT: Quinnen Williams (NYJ)
CB: Denzel Ward (CLE)

Summary: I get the appeal of moving on from C-Mac because if he suffers another injury this year, he likely takes a huge dip. With that being said, I'm ranking keepers mostly off of where it puts each team in a position to compete this season. Tannehill is a fine QB, but one that would need to be surrounded with a great supporting cast to compete. Swift, Waddle, and Smith, while great talents, are a little too raw at this stage. 4 good young pieces on defense, but I just think this squad is a little too inexperienced right now. Set up extremely well for the future though. Reminds me of Scoundrel's squad. 

7. Greenland Polar Bears (Owner: Pickle Rick)
HVz3mKE.png
QB: Mac Jones (NE)
RB: Elijah Mitchell (SF)
WR: Chris Godwin (TB), Diontae Johnson (PIT)
OT: Rashawn Slater (LAC)
NT: Vita Vea (TB)
OLB: Robert Quinn (CHI)
ILB: Devin White (TB), Zaven Collins (ARI)
FS: Derwin James (LAC)

Total Keepers: 10 (5 offense, 5 defense)

Summary: I like the move to acquire Mac Jones. Given his rookie season, he has the best chance of any of the young QBs to be able to contribute early in this league. Pickle paired Jones with a couple of other rookies in Mitchell and Slater, whom time will tell if they turn into legitimate keepers but are well worth the tags at this stage. Godwin is a stud and Johnson flies under the radar a bit at WR2. With this write up, I'm just now seeing how good Quinn was last season in the NFL. What? Quinn is paired with Vea up front to clog the middle and a couple of talented middle linebackers behind him. Collins is in the same boat as Mitchell/Slater. Love James in the secondary, we'll see how he bounces back from his injury. Overall a solid group of players with lots of depth, but likely too raw to compete this year. 

8. Lake Minnewanka Ice Orcas (Owner: The Orca)
izJlQju.png
QB: Tua Tagovailoa (MIA)
RB: Christian McCaffrey (CAR)
WR: CeeDee Lamb (DAL), Kadarius Toney (NYG)
OT: Orlando Brown Jr. (KC)
DE: Frank Clark (KC)
OLB: T.J. Watt (PIT)
K: Evan McPherson (CIN)

Total Keepers: 8 (4 offense, 3 defense, 1 special teams)

Summary: Orca was dealt a tough hand not too long ago, as well. I like the move of taking a risk on C-Mac. Fair trade for both teams. C-Mac, if he stays healthy, gives Orca a stud on offense like has on defense with Watt. Other than that, Orca is taking a bunch of flyers. We'll see how Tua does in real life with Hill. I get the appeal there. Lamb is a good, young WR. Toney is talented but can he stay out of his own way? The rest of the group leaves a little to be desired, but we know things take time. Likely won't be in contention this year, but all it takes it one good draft to be right in the thick of things the following year. 

Richmond Flying Squirrels (Owner: swoosh)
Richmond+Flying+Squirrels.gif
QB: Russell Wilson (SEA)
RB: Jonathan Taylor (IND)
WR: Julio Jones (TEN), D.K. Metcalf (SEA)Michael Thomas Jr. (NO)
OT: Ryan Ramczyk (NO)
DE: Demarcus Lawrence (DAL)
CB: Stephon Gilmore (CAR)
FS: Jevon Holland (MIA)

Total Keepers: 9 (6 offense, 3 defense)

Summary: I'm still relatively new to this league, but I can't imagine a better group of keepers on offense. I just made a post critical of Michael Thomas, but that was as a #1 WR... as a #2 or #3, it's tough to find one better. For "not being ready for the sim" (rip me), Jonathan Taylor and his gaudy, league-leading 4.99 YPC is already a monster, and is on an upward trajectory. Locking in a stud OT to go with Russell Wilson, a top 5 QB and an undisputed sim darling, is a no-brainer move. On defense, you have the essentials: a 10+ sack EDGE and a shutdown CB. It's easy to sleep on Holland, but he put up a S23 performance that compared to Tyrann Mathieu.

The only downside to swoosh's S24 approach is the lack of draft capital, as his first two picks come in the 3rd and 5th rounds, but he still has the rest of his picks with an extra 6th and 10th. Owners routinely build competitive rosters with far less in the draft. He's in a prime position to return to the Taco Bowl, and his subtle brags about his roster are completely justified. The man built himself a monster.

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, swoosh said:

Obviously it starts with Rodgers who gives any team a chance, but TL has surrounded Rodgers with plenty of talent. After trading away Taylor (ty), Aaron Jones was a nice addition and should be a familiar face for Rodgers. 2 top 5 TE's with Pitts lining up at WR. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out. St. Brown had a nice rookie year and was worth a flyer with just one tag, but not sure he'll turn into a legitimate WR keeper once he costs 3 tags. On the defensive line, three young talents which is a great place to start. And then to close things out, the best kicker in the game. Great mix of strong vets with young talent.

Thanks for doing these write-ups. A fantastic read as usual.

I've taken a different approach to roster building, which could very well bomb in the end, but I'm willing to see it through. Instead of looking at individual stats along the DLine and WR/TE, I'm looking at my overall position score as I shift players around to save tags. For example: my EDGE1 position put up near-elite numbers during S23:

FNAME LNAME GS TAK STFS COV SACK FF FR SFTY INT X
T.J. Watt [16 106 (10 10 12 2        
Edge1 Edge1 [16 77 (14 4 11 4 2     x
Robert Quinn [16 97 (10 5 11 1 1      
Myles Garrett [16 65 (16 1 10 3        
Demarcus Lawrence [16 81 (13   10 1 1      
Nick Bosa [16 61 (12 4 10 1        

Pretty good company up there. (Trey Hendrickson, Frank Clark and Odafe Oweh contributed to that output.) Coming away with one of the stud EDGE players in the S24 draft was a must, as I've mapped out a 5-man DLine rotation, the goal being to have 4 great EDGE players putting out elite or near-elite EDGE production while rotating between 4-3 DE/3-4 DE (Hendrickson) and 4-3 OLB/3-4 OLB (Oweh) for tag savings. With Hutchinson, I'll have a 4-3 front of Hendrickson-Hutchinson at EDGE (Oweh at OLB2), and a 3-4 front of Hutchinson-Oweh at EDGE (Hendrickson at DE2), while Hutch is a rookie. I'm expecting to see great production, and they will only ever cost me 2 tags each.

At WR/TE, Pitts and Waller will rotate between WR2/TE as they did during S23. My WR2 production was... decent.

FNAME LNAME GS REC YDS YPR LNG TDS DRPS X FUM PANC
WR2 WR2 [16 65 871 (13.40   5 1 X 1  

I like the low drops and solid YPR. Hoping to see a bump in the yardage moving forward as I continue to gain an understanding of the sim.

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway

2 hours ago, Glen said:

Swoosh just stole an elite WR and two tags for a 5th and 10th, from a new owner to boot.

Disgusting act

My man got MT and Jonathan Taylor for practically nothing, That's how you hustle - Harper is somewhere smiling right now.