49ers OTAs Thread

49erurtaza

Good to hear, should have a full house! 

Now just get #10 out of here in a month's time and get Deebo's extension completed...I don't know if Bosa will want to sign his deal this offseason as he may elect to wait until next offseason. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't know if Bosa will want to sign his deal this offseason as he may elect to wait until next offseason. 

Yeah, that's what I keep saying as well. 

Nick won't want to sign early. He knows that the longer he waits the more money he will get. I think his contract situation is a bit impervious to injury because he obviously takes care of his body like few other athletes. 

Obviously he will get tagged before he hits FA. 

"The 49ers should sign Bosa now before the price goes up" is something I keep reading. It's like people don't think Bosa's agents know how it works. 

On 6/6/2022 at 7:51 AM, NcFinest9erFan said:

Depending on how in depth the talks are, this could indeed be the best news of our offseason! Would absolutely love it if our up-and-coming QB was picking the brain of our most recent great QB talent. Hopefully, they're taking a deep dive into mechanics and perhaps decision making or misdirection--Steve was great at pump fakes!

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Good to hear, should have a full house! 

Now just get #10 out of here in a month's time and get Deebo's extension completed...I don't know if Bosa will want to sign his deal this offseason as he may elect to wait until next offseason. 

I'd be surprised if he wants to wait. There's nobody resetting the market between now and then, I think, so there's really no reason to wait. Just risking injury. Joey's money is guaranteed through next year as is TJ's. MGs is pretty much guaranteed as well. You would really be banking on one of them demanding a new deal to reset the market percentage wise. Interesting conundrum.

But Joey waited, so it's definitely possible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N4L said:

Yeah, that's what I keep saying as well. 

Nick won't want to sign early. He knows that the longer he waits the more money he will get. I think his contract situation is a bit impervious to injury because he obviously takes care of his body like few other athletes. 

Obviously he will get tagged before he hits FA. 

"The 49ers should sign Bosa now before the price goes up" is something I keep reading. It's like people don't think Bosa's agents know how it works. 

The problem is that this doesn't always work. During his prime earnings years, he'll never make as little as he's going to earn this year....and that's by a substantial amount.  There's a lot of math and projection that has to go into it. 

Nick Bosa makes 5 million this year. 

If he signs an extension that averages 30 million per year for  5 years, that's 150 million and he's a free agent again at 30 and gets to sign another deal. So 150 Million (30m/yr) + another one year veteran contract in year 6. 

If he waits a year, what do you think it gets bumped up by ? Another 2 million per season? The highest AAV is 28 right now and as I mentioned, there shouldn't be anyone resetting the market between now and then. The top of the edge market is roughly about 13.5% of the cap at the time they signed (Watt is a bit of an outlier given the covid year, but they heavily backloaded it, which makes sense while MG3 is a bit of an outlier on the low end at just over 12%). That would put his AAV at less than 31 based on a projected cap of 225M next year as per OTC, so I'm potentially being generous with the math below. 

If he signs next year for 33 million over 5 years (which would be a huuuuuuuuge jump in payscale and I'm not sure how much the increased cap will raise the roof on some of these positions yet...we will have to wait and see how that plays out), that's a total of 165M + 5.  That's 170 Million over 6 years 28+ M/yr) and he's a free agent at 31. I'm not sure that works well for him financially. 

Basically, he needs to be certain that he can make up more than 25M over the course of his career. Lets say that his prime earning years are 25 - 31 ,which I think is fairly reasonable for most edge rushers. That gives him 6 years to bypass that extra 25 million he's giving up by not extending this year. No easy task.