NBA Offseason Thread: Durant will remain in Brooklyn

NYRaider

19 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

Would Memphis for sure not include JJJ in a deal for KD?  He’s always hurt and not an all-NBA caliber player.  Let’s say it’s JJJ/picks and they keep Bane/Ziaire…

No, not for sure.  If push came to shove then they'd put JJJ in a deal, but with his injury history I'd worry what else it would take to pry Durant away. If I'm giving away JJJ then Clarke can't be part of the deal.

Memphis receives: Kevin Durant

Brooklyn receives: Jaren Jackson, Jr., Ziaire Williams, Dillon Brooks, 2023 Memphis 1st Round Pick, 2024 Golden State 1st Round Pick, 2025 1st round pick swap

I feel like that's fair value.  JJJ has shown the ability to be an elite defensive player and a great 3P shooter...just not at the same time.  Ziaire is a high potential youngster.  Dillon is a solid starter on an expiring deal.

That would leave for Memphis...

PG: Ja Morant / Tyus Jones / Kennedy Chandler

SG: Desmond Bane / John Konchar / David Roddy / *Danny Green

SF: Kevin Durant / Killian Tillie / Jake LaRavia

PF: Brandon Clarke / Santi Aldama

C Steven Adams / Xavier Tillman

2-Way: Vince Williams, Jr. and Kenneth Lofton, Jr.

13 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

No, not for sure.  If push came to shove then they'd put JJJ in a deal, but with his injury history I'd worry what else it would take to pry Durant away. If I'm giving away JJJ then Clarke can't be part of the deal.

Memphis receives: Kevin Durant

Brooklyn receives: Jaren Jackson, Jr., Ziaire Williams, Dillon Brooks, 2023 Memphis 1st Round Pick, 2024 Golden State 1st Round Pick, 2025 1st round pick swap

I feel like that's fair value.  JJJ has shown the ability to be an elite defensive player and a great 3P shooter...just not at the same time.  Ziaire is a high potential youngster.  Dillon is a solid starter on an expiring deal.

That would leave for Memphis...

PG: Ja Morant / Tyus Jones / Kennedy Chandler

SG: Desmond Bane / John Konchar / David Roddy / *Danny Green

SF: Kevin Durant / Killian Tillie / Jake LaRavia

PF: Brandon Clarke / Santi Aldama

C Steven Adams / Xavier Tillman

2-Way: Vince Williams, Jr. and Kenneth Lofton, Jr.

I mentioned Memphis the day he requested a trade. If you guys can get him, then you have to go all in to make it happen. The Grizzlies will have two top 10 caliber players for at least three years, if not four years. With the other talent on the roster, that's enough to win a title or two. 

I'm in the camp for the Nets tell Kyrie, KD, and all the other teams to piss off if they don't get a decent deal. What reason do the Nets have to cater to any of them? Not like they can just tank and get high picks, they are all gone.

Nets willing to drag on Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving trade talks into training camp

With four years left on Kevin Durant’s contract, and Kyrie Irving having opted in to the last year of his deal, the Nets have leverage and every intention of using it. And league personnel say the Nets have implied if they don’t get what they want, this could well drag on into training camp.

Nets general manager Sean Marks and owner Joe Tsai had agreed to work with Durant and business partner Rich Kleiman to try to trade him to one of his preferred landing spots. But in the end, Durant and Irving are expected to be moved where and when it works best for Nets management.

5 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

And? I fully get teams wanting to do right with their superstar to an extent. Again, we aren't talking about moving him to Orlando or Sacramento. But if it came down to a team like Denver or Phoenix with Denver having the better package, then the easy choice is going with the Denver package. 

The top two destinations have been leaked but the Nets would be stupid not trying to move him elsewhere if they get a better package. And if they can't get ANY package they deem good enough, then bring him up and run it with the team they have. 

We aren’t on these phone calls so we can’t know how stern Kleiman is sounding.  It probably hits different when you hear it directly that guy doesn’t want to play for you and it’s hard to mortgage your entire future if it doesn’t feel mutual.

The thing is that it’s not like Nets are showing much resistance to this. It’s seems like they want to trade the both them just as much as the two of them want out. It’s why I think leverage isn’t much of a factor here. It’s not like they’re saying “we have no intention of trading you”. Nets seem to be content and ok with being irrelevant again even it means losing your two best players.

10 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Nets willing to drag on Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving trade talks into training camp

With four years left on Kevin Durant’s contract, and Kyrie Irving having opted in to the last year of his deal, the Nets have leverage and every intention of using it. And league personnel say the Nets have implied if they don’t get what they want, this could well drag on into training camp.

Nets general manager Sean Marks and owner Joe Tsai had agreed to work with Durant and business partner Rich Kleiman to try to trade him to one of his preferred landing spots. But in the end, Durant and Irving are expected to be moved where and when it works best for Nets management.

I am wondering if we get another Ben Simmons situation (at least with Kyrie). I would like to see more teams just say 'no' when these guys ask for trades in the middle of their contracts.

4 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

The thing is that it’s not like Nets are showing much resistance to this. It’s seems like they want to trade the both them just as much as the two of them want out. It’s why I think leverage isn’t much of a factor here. It’s not like they’re saying “we have no intention of trading you”. Nets seem to be content and ok with being irrelevant again even it means losing your two best players.

I mean all we have heard is that they will try to move Durant but they have hefty demands on a deal. If they can't get what they are looking for, then they shouldn't move him period. No doubt they are tired of all the drama (not really KD, but Kyrie/Harden) and want to kind of reset but they can't just move KD to move him. The Nets with Simmons returning are legitimate contenders. They need to remember that before they make any move. If KD is upset that they did not give Kyrie the max and wants to get out before Kyrie leaves for nothing, I get that....BUT, he is under contract for four years so he shouldn't have much say in this matter. Like I mentioned yesterday, the Lakers had Kobe under contract for three more years when he made his demand and they ended up just holding on to him and calling his bluff. He got booed like crazy on opening day but that quickly went away and the team ended up being much better than expected and all was good. Same could happen with the Nets. 

10 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

We aren’t on these phone calls so we can’t know how stern Kleiman is sounding.  It probably hits different when you hear it directly that guy doesn’t want to play for you and it’s hard to mortgage your entire future if it doesn’t feel mutual.

But once again, does that REALLY matter? What is KD going to do if he is not moved before the season?

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean all we have heard is that they will try to move Durant but they have hefty demands on a deal. If they can't get what they are looking for, then they shouldn't move him period. No doubt they are tired of all the drama (not really KD, but Kyrie/Harden) and want to kind of reset but they can't just move KD to move him. The Nets with Simmons returning are legitimate contenders. They need to remember that before they make any move. If KD is upset that they did not give Kyrie the max and wants to get out before Kyrie leaves for nothing, I get that....BUT, he is under contract for four years so he shouldn't have much say in this matter. Like I mentioned yesterday, the Lakers had Kobe under contract for three more years when he made his demand and they ended up just holding on to him and calling his bluff. He got booed like crazy on opening day but that quickly went away and the team ended up being much better than expected and all was good. Same could happen with the Nets. 

As they should. He’s an unprecedented player and this hasn’t happened since Kobe so naturally they should want a hefty price. 

I agree I don’t think they should just let him go if the compensation isnt right as much as this front office and ownership is the reason for this trade. It says a lot of that this team could’ve had a trio of Ben-KD-Kyrie plus Seth, Harris, Mills etc which can go against anybody yet he still wants to leave. 

3 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

As they should. He’s an unprecedented player and this hasn’t happened since Kobe so naturally they should want a hefty price. 

I agree I don’t think they should just let him go if the compensation isnt right as much as this front office and ownership is the reason for this trade. It says a lot of that this team could’ve had a trio of Ben-KD-Kyrie plus Seth, Harris, Mills etc which can go against anybody yet he still wants to leave. 

You would think, but Durant is 34 years old with a history of leg/foot injuries. As great as he is, whoever trades for him will likely be only getting 'Kevin Durant' for 3ish more years.

How much are teams willing to give up for a 3-4 year championship or bust window with a older player who is starting to battle injuries on a yearly basis.

Somebody is going to do it, obviously, but I think the final price tag is going to be lower than some think. A good young player + 3 FRPs will probably do it. 

The Suns for instance--if they trade Bridges + 3 FRPs for Durant--they are in a instant title window for probably 3 years. In 2025 Durant/CP3 will be done and their team will go back to Devin Booker and no young talent because you gave it all up with the picks. Is selling the next 10-12 years of your team worth it for a 3 year title window knowing you will likely go into a full scale rebuild once Durant/Paul retire?

Edited by AkronsWitness

20 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I'm in the camp for the Nets tell Kyrie, KD, and all the other teams to piss off if they don't get a decent deal. What reason do the Nets have to cater to any of them? Not like they can just tank and get high picks, they are all gone.

Until Kyrie Irving pulls a Ben Simmons, and collects paychecks for not playing while the Nets are stuck paying the luxury tax for him to sit in street clothes.  Seems like a great business model.  At this point, the Nets need to figure out exactly what they NEED to get out of an Irving deal.  If it's draft capital, take back the long-term money and/or give up Seth Curry.  If it's cap flexibility, try and bring in a 3rd team that's willing to eat Russell Westbrook's contract for draft picks.  But the Nets aren't getting both.