NBA Offseason Thread: Durant will remain in Brooklyn

NYRaider

12 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

If they don't get rid of Westbrook, then I'm glad THT got out of there. 

I don't mind the trade overall for LA I guess. Moreso still flabbergasted at the Lonnie Walker signing. Hearing they traded THT because they signed Walker is so funny. Also heard they wanted to get younger after all their signings and then they traded by far their youngest rotation player away. He was inefficient last year and there's no guarantee he'll turn into an efficient scorer, but they gave up on him too soon.

And don't tell me (not you, but what else I've read about why they traded him) they did it for cap purposes. THT could have easily been dumped next summer if that was an issue.

Only problem is that you have LeBron at the top level for only likely two more years so at this point how long can you wait on someone like THT? Is he going to turn into a better shooter all of a sudden? THT can end up taking the next step up and get better but it was always going to be on another team. 

Lakers have gotten younger overall but I don't think there is anything wrong with trading for a proven commodity in Beverley. The wing depth is certainly suspect but not sure what they can do there. You bring Turner and Hield, if possible, and then all of a sudden you have very solid shooting and have the potential to have a very good defensive team with AD/Turner holding it down in a similar way to what Dray/Looney did for the Warriors this postseason. 

At this point it is pretty much a lock they get rid of Westbrook. If not, then getting someone like Beverley for THT makes even more sense. The Lakers are not done yet so let's see what other moves they make but I like getting someone like Beverley. They will be seeing teams like Memphis in the playoffs and we just saw how well Beverley defended Ja. 

Overall, is this a big game changing move? Of course not, but I do think the Lakers got better and this was a need. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Only problem is that you have LeBron at the top level for only likely two more years so at this point how long can you wait on someone like THT? Is he going to turn into a better shooter all of a sudden? THT can end up taking the next step up and get better but it was always going to be on another team. 

I mean...he's better than Walker and has shown more potential as an all-around player. That's my issue here. The mistake was already made so they're trying to fix it I guess, but no one can tell me Lonnie Walker makes more sense than THT. He's a Klutch client and that's it.

7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Lakers have gotten younger overall but I don't think there is anything wrong with trading for a proven commodity in Beverley. The wing depth is certainly suspect but not sure what they can do there. You bring Turner and Hield, if possible, and then all of a sudden you have very solid shooting and have the potential to have a very good defensive team with AD/Turner holding it down in a similar way to what Dray/Looney did for the Warriors this postseason. 

They got younger, then traded the one young guy with potential. He stagnated last year, but giving up on him after 1 season is a mistake IMO. THT, with his length and bulk, could actually have helped on the wing against bigger players; Walker can't.

I guess my ultimate issue is still with essentially picking Walker over THT...after they picked THT over Caruso. Just bad decisions.

6 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

I mean...he's better than Walker and has shown more potential as an all-around player. That's my issue here. The mistake was already made so they're trying to fix it I guess, but no one can tell me Lonnie Walker makes more sense than THT. He's a Klutch client and that's it.

They got younger, then traded the one young guy with potential. He stagnated last year, but giving up on him after 1 season is a mistake IMO. THT, with his length and bulk, could actually have helped on the wing against bigger players; Walker can't.

I guess my ultimate issue is still with essentially picking Walker over THT...after they picked THT over Caruso. Just bad decisions.

THT over Caruso was certainly a bad decision in hindsight and honestly just in general as Caruso fit in very well...I guess they are trying to correct that mistake in a way in getting someone like Beverley that is in some ways similar to Caruso.

I mean is THT no longer a Klutch client? Sorry, but I'm not really understanding the logic here or following what you are trying to say. Walker and THT as far as I know are BOTH Klutch clients. 

Again, the potential of THT may be reached one day and he turns into a very good NBA player, but he is not that right now and may never be THAT guy with the Lakers. I don't think losing him in this trade means much. Walker may also never end up being a legitimate NBA player but do we even know if he will in the rotation come playoff time...If the Lakers get there? I think you are focusing on Walker a bit too much here. 

19 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean is THT no longer a Klutch client? Sorry, but I'm not really understanding the logic here or following what you are trying to say. Walker and THT as far as I know are BOTH Klutch clients. 

I'm saying the only reason they signed him was because he's a Klutch client. They didn't sign him because of his fit or his potential. If they did then they don't know the player. There were better players they could have gotten for the MLE.

I did forget THT is a Klutch client though. At least he was picked by the Lakers and homegrown, but definitely dampens my Klutch conspiracy theory.

23 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Again, the potential of THT may be reached one day and he turns into a very good NBA player, but he is not that right now and may never be THAT guy with the Lakers. I don't think losing him in this trade means much. Walker may also never end up being a legitimate NBA player but do we even know if he will in the rotation come playoff time...If the Lakers get there? I think you are focusing on Walker a bit too much here.

That's a fact.

If we're questioning whether the guy they gave their MLE to would even be in the playoff rotation before the season starts, then we know the caliber player they gave that MLE to: a bad one.

3 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

I'm saying the only reason they signed him was because he's a Klutch client. They didn't sign him because of his fit or his potential. If they did then they don't know the player. There were better players they could have gotten for the MLE.

I did forget THT is a Klutch client though. At least he was picked by the Lakers and homegrown, but definitely dampens my Klutch conspiracy theory.

That's a fact.

If we're questioning whether the guy they gave their MLE to would even be in the playoff rotation before the season starts, then we know the caliber player they gave that MLE to: a bad one.

Not arguing that since I'm not high on Walker either. They probably think there is untapped potential with his athleticism but I need to see it to believe it. 

I'm just interested in seeing where they go next.