Official 2023 QB Thread

NYRaider

7 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

I mean, imagine him getting Pat White'd in his first game.

Maybe if he was running around like a madman. I don't expect him to be utilized as a running QB though. He's like Russell Wilson, if anything. Runs around to find WR's, but doesn't really use his legs as part of the designed running game. I see your point though. GM's overthink everything & fall back on 'conventional' prospects to avoid looking silly.

5 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Dude, I'm telling you it's going to happen. Not saying I agree with it, I don't. But Levis is a QB you talk yourself into, Young is a QB you talk yourself out of. 

You may be right. I would still be shocked if a team made that dumb of a decision, but it happens all the time.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Maybe if he was running around like a madman. I don't expect him to be utilized as a running QB though. He's like Russell Wilson, if anything.

Not every team's staff are capable/flexible enough to run an effective system like that. We'll see! I love him as a player, but I don't think the discussions around his size have nearly got started. 

14 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

You may be right. I would still be shocked if a team made that dumb of a decision, but it happens all the time.

It happens every year man! If the Colts move up to first, ain't no way it's for Young - not the unless Ballard decides to break every rule in his own book. 

4 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Dude, I'm telling you it's going to happen. Not saying I agree with it, I don't. But Levis is a QB you talk yourself into, Young is a QB you talk yourself out of. 

Great comment but with one small caveat (I think we talked about this a while back but I forget)....I just really wonder when Youngs height is actually going to become a talking point in this process. We heard about it with Murray, we heard about it with Baker at nauseum and so-on but we have not yet heard about it as much with Young. Murray being a all-time athlete at the position and Baker being all-time accurate in college helped them go #1.....but what about Young? 

Young being slotted in as essentially the unanimous #1 pick feels a lot like Zach Wilson being the unquestioned #2 pick in the draft that nobody even batted an eye at for months leading up to the draft. Like why are people not questioning this more...is he really that much better than Stroud? If at all? Are his weaknesses being glanced over too easily?

Maybe Im more concerned with height and skinny frame at QB than most but man I cant keep referencing Drew Brees 20 years ago as the one singular outlier that didnt have elite athleticism to continue justifying taking 5'10" QBs with average builds in the top 5 picks unless he puts 30lbs of muscle on and turns into Jalen Hurts/Russel Wilson. Thats just my personal opinion.

With Levis, like you said, there is a lot of talking into. For me, this feels a lot like people chasing the next Josh Allen as their justification for slotting him into the top 5. He has prototypical size, arm, small-ish football school, yada yada. Its just a complete gamble and feels like a lot of scouts are trying to be the smartest person in the room by putting him where they currently are when in reality, he is a guy you take in the 10-15 range as project QB3 with upside but is now receiving that Tray Lance treatment by scouts. 

At the end of the day, it doesnt matter. The success of these QBs is going to fall more on where they go, what system they get put into and the coaching they receive more than it will anything else. 

Cheers

Edited by AkronsWitness

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Young being slotted in as essentially the unanimous #1 pick feels a lot like Zach Wilson being the unquestioned #2 pick in the draft that nobody even batted an eye at for months leading up to the draft. Like why are people not questioning this more...is he really that much better than Stroud? If at all? Are his weaknesses being glanced over too easily?

I think if Young measured at 5'11" and 195, he goes first overall, and pretty easily.  He's got talent out the wazoo.  He's mobile, but tends to use his mobility in the backfield, running around evading pressure until something opens up.  He also has among the best pocket presence of any prospect in recent memory.  As for the rest, yeah, he was surrounded by talent, but he's looked much better than Mac Jones did with some of the same cast, and seems to be mentally pretty good.  He's not perfect in some other aspects, but the only real knock on him, in my mind, is the size.  But man, is that a big one.

Stroud, to me, is a dude that checks every box, but failed to really impress an awful lot.  He's got size, arm, ability to read a defense, and athleticism, but he does so little with all of that.  And he had an even better supporting cast in the best WR in football and an amazing OL.  His Georgia tape is stellar, but that's the only game where he was legitimately impressive.

Maybe Im more concerned with height and skinny frame at QB than most but man I cant keep referencing Drew Brees 20 years ago as the one singular outlier that didnt have elite athleticism to continue justifying taking 5'10" QBs with average builds in the top 5 picks unless he puts 30lbs of muscle on and turns into Jalen Hurts/Russel Wilson. Thats just my personal opinion.

Yeah, the thing is, Young may not even be 5'10"  There's a photo of him standing next to Stetson Bennett (listed as 5'11") in 2021, and Bennett is noticeably taller than him.  Seemingly by a few inches.  And he looks slight in build, not even average.  He will definitely be heavier at the combine than he ever played at, and even then, I think he's not gonna weigh a lot.

With Levis, like you said, there is a lot of talking into. For me, this feels a lot like people chasing the next Josh Allen as their justification for slotting him into the top 5. He has prototypical size, arm, small-ish football school, yada yada. Its just a complete gamble and feels like a lot of scouts are trying to be the smartest person in the room by putting him where they currently are when in reality, he is a guy you take in the 10-15 range as project QB3 with upside but is now receiving that Tray Lance treatment by scouts. 

I would say even worse of Levis than you, but yeah, that's pretty much it.  Levis is all projection.  And he doesn't project nearly as much as Richardson, IMO, and I don't think it's particularly close.

AP21339047941515.jpg?w=2500&auto=compres

1355883344.jpeg

Nick Saban is 5'6".

10f3d26b-8e67-4b0f-a4e3-1386c622642b-USA

This is what a 6'1" QB looks like standing next to Nick Saban.

I'm not sure I like it either, but front offices will ALWAYS look for the prototype. If you deviate from the prototype, you've gotta walk on water. Young is a scary prospect to NFL teams due to his height.

If Bryce Young goes #2 overall to the Texans that will be a good landing spot for him.  They already have Mills if Young does not work out.

Honestly though this past year Bryce Young played on a Bama team with zero guys who will be first round picks at WR, nothing amazing at TE and honestly on the OL none of those guys are 1st round picks either most likely.  

Mac Jones his final year played with (5) 1st round picks on offense for example, 2 WR, 1 RB and 2 OL.

Jalen Hurts his 2nd to last year on Bama when he was the main starter played with (5) 1st round picks on offense, 3 WRs and 2 OL (did not include DeVonta Smith/Najee Harris which would have made 7)

Bryce Young played with (zero) first round picks unless Cohen greatly improves on Miami next year or someone really breaks out at WR or RB next year which I doubt.  The guy got killed in the pocket this past year and had so little help, yet still produced and lead the football team and showed great character and leadership not to mention toughness.  Go ahead and draft Will Levis over him because he is bigger and stronger, who really cares if mentally he does not see the field or process as well as Young and is not as inspiring of a leader etc.  

2 hours ago, General Tso said:

It's not about his height, it's about his weight. I don't see him adding weight this off-season because he'll be busy with interviews and work outs. But I could see him doing it next season.

Weight itself isn't a concern to me. I can see being concerned because he missed some time in college due to injuries. But frankly, if I think a QB can play, I'll take injury risks, as long as there are no gigantic red flags. I'll just need to make sure I have a good backup.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, General Tso said:

It's not about his height, it's about his weight. I don't see him adding weight this off-season because he'll be busy with interviews and work outs. But I could see him doing it next season.

It can be about both though. When the guy is in college, I'm not looking for examples of their height. I just take people's word for it w/ a grain of salt. Now that I'm seeing more and more of him next to other people at award shows and whatnot, he looks like he might be every bit of 5'8", max. You can be concerned about his weight as well and it's valid but to say it's not about his height is an incorrect statement for some and I'd be the majority. It's very much about his height.