Official 2023 QB Thread

NYRaider

13 hours ago, General Tso said:

His height hasn't been an issue in college where he played behind tall linemen and against tall linemen. The NFL is not that much taller if at all, than SEC competition.

That's great but college isn't the NFL and if only the line was the only issue...... but yes, NFL linemen are typically much bigger

7 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

That's great but college isn't the NFL and if only the line was the only issue...... but yes, NFL linemen are typically much bigger

Not really. Wider maybe, which is irrelevant for a short QB. It's absurd to say NFL players are significantly bigger than what the SEC has. I would venture to guess that NFL OL/DL are MAYBE a 1/2 inch taller on average than what most teams Bryce Young is facing in college? If that.

The skill level is different. The speed is different. The schemes are different. But the actual height of the players is not.

1 hour ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Not really. Wider maybe, which is irrelevant for a short QB. It's absurd to say NFL players are significantly bigger than what the SEC has. I would venture to guess that NFL OL/DL are MAYBE a 1/2 inch taller on average than what most teams Bryce Young is facing in college? If that.

The skill level is different. The speed is different. The schemes are different. But the actual height of the players is not.

You're right, I was looking at it from an overall standpoint and not just "taller" like that person said. This is what I get for commenting late at night after a couple glasses of whiskey lol

The QB School talking about Levis.  I do really like the QB School for educating me on what a QB should be doing vs what they do.

I will add that he has breakdowns of Richardson, Stroud, Young and Hooker on his channel.

Edited by jebrick

On 2/15/2023 at 8:24 AM, BetterCallSaul said:

Yeah he's tiny, but unless you're a dunce of an OC, you can work around that. Young is a master manipulator of the pocket and has that sixth sense of when to step up vs. retreat in the pocket. He doesn't get a lot of balls batted despite his size. He has a great arm and excellent movement skills...and those aren't his best attributes (processing, accuracy, leadership).

Young is going to be very good. I see your point that he's a crazy outlier. For sure he is. But he isn't Kyler Murray--Young has legitimately every trait you could want in a QB aside from height.

Weight? I could care less about. It used to be important, but nowadays you can't breathe on a QB without being flagged 15 yards.

It only takes one big hit to potentially end his career.

On 2/15/2023 at 4:31 PM, minutemancl said:

Nick Saban is 5'6".

This is what a 6'1" QB looks like standing next to Nick Saban.

I'm not sure I like it either, but front offices will ALWAYS look for the prototype. If you deviate from the prototype, you've gotta walk on water. Young is a scary prospect to NFL teams due to his height.

If Young measures anything larger than 5'10 at combine/pro day than the fix is in lol 

I mentioned it in another thread but Young, if drafted, will be the smallest QB to EVER play in the NFL. Hes not just short like Hurts/Wilson/Brees/Baker/ect, he is even a notch below them. The only QB to ever play meaningful snaps in the NFL that comes close to Youngs height/weight is Doug Flutie. Would you feel comfortable drafting that at #1 overall when there is a guy like CJ Stroud sitting there who for all intents and purposes is a 'safer' option with similar upside?

Im not trying to start a smear campaign on Bryce Young, its just that I dont think scouts/fans from what Ive heard are being nearly critical enough of his evaluation. There is far too much 'pencil him in to #1 overall and lets keep moving' without any sort of critique.

In regard to how this will effect him in the NFL, we have seen examples with Baker/Kyler. Its not about taking a hit but about the mental. Baker/Kyler both in college didnt have their height effect them. Baker struggles with it in the NFL with batted passes and hes not fast enough to get away from NFL rushers which is why hes on his 3rd NFL team. Kyler has developed the yips in recent seasons where he DOES have athleticism to get away and now takes off running after his 1st read because he doesnt want to hang in the pocket and take a hit like a Josh Allen or Joe Burrow. Both Kyler/Baker have developed 'I cant hang in the pocket' syndrome because of their size and 2-3-4 seasons of getting hammered in the NFL. Young is going to be no different unless you are telling me Bryce Young is a generational QB prospect like Andrew Luck or Trevor Lawrence.

Edited by AkronsWitness

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

In regard to how this will effect him in the NFL, we have seen examples with Baker/Kyler. Its not about taking a hit but about the mental. Baker/Kyler both in college didnt have their height effect them. Baker struggles with it in the NFL with batted passes and hes not fast enough to get away from NFL rushers which is why hes on his 3rd NFL team. Kyler has developed the yips in recent seasons where he DOES have athleticism to get away and now takes off running after his 1st read because he doesnt want to hang in the pocket and take a hit like a Josh Allen or Joe Burrow. Both Kyler/Baker have developed 'I cant hang in the pocket' syndrome because of their size and 2-3-4 seasons of getting hammered in the NFL. Young is going to be no different unless you are telling me Bryce Young is a generational QB prospect like Andrew Luck or Trevor Lawrence.

He's not as athletic as Kyler but I think he has a much better pocket presence than either of those guys, he's excellent at evading/sensing pressure when his blocking breaks down. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

He's not as athletic as Kyler but I think he has a much better pocket presence than either of those guys, he's excellent at evading/sensing pressure when his blocking breaks down. 

To play devils advocate--Baker also had tremendous pocket presence in college and early in his career. He then got hit a bunch trying to hang in the pocket year 1-2-3--he developed the yips and started leaving the pocket early and kept getting injured further outside of the pocket trying to run away. 

Small guys hanging in the pocket getting hit eventually takes its toll and thats when we see them starting to run. The only difference is Kyler can run away from rushers, Baker cant and Young is TBD

Edited by AkronsWitness

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

I've tried to like Will Levis but man it's hard, lol.

There's a lot to like when you watch the tape... from last year (2021 season). 
This year he wasn't really good, although he didn't have much help from his OL, WRs or coaching staff 

Edited by MagicMT

9 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I've tried to like Will Levis but man it's hard, lol.

He ain’t it man. I don’t see it. I don’t think it’s really there. 

this that Zach Wilson effect man. If he goes about either Young or Stroud it’s a straight crime and I’m 99% sure that team will end up regretting it. 

1 hour ago, brownie man said:

He ain’t it man. I don’t see it. I don’t think it’s really there. 

this that Zach Wilson effect man. If he goes about either Young or Stroud it’s a straight crime and I’m 99% sure that team will end up regretting it. 

It’s also weird that Levis will be a 24 year old rookie and is still getting this hype & possible #1 overall pick buzz. I don’t think I would take him in R1, let-alone #1. It’s also weird because I think Stroud and especially Young are fantastic prospects.

I think Levis has developmental tools, but it seems any QB with a great arm and size is getting pushed up draft boards again. Maybe it’s the terrible draft class that is causing him to shoot up boards? In any case, he is definitely a bizarre “loved” prospect. Especially when Richardson has the same developmental tools and then some, is younger, and appears to be just as mature.