Official 2023 QB Thread

NYRaider

20 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

5’10” 204lbs

5'10 and playing weight is 193. Thats why he didnt get weighed at his pro day because he bulked up to 204 for combine measurements and is going to go all the way back to to 193 for playing..

He will be the lightest QB drafted since 2006 and the shortest since 1967.

desmond-watson-desmond.gif

Edited by AkronsWitness

5 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

5’10” 204lbs

You’re correct about the height. He officially measured 5’10” 1/2 at the combine, which would make him the second shortest QB starter in the league. Murray is the shortest who measures exactly 5’10” on the dot. 

But you’re incorrect about the weight. He bulked up for the combine like tons of players do, and then these players immediately drop this weight off their frame, because it’s not a natural fit for their frame. Bryce played around 185 in college and I would expect him to play around 190 or 195 in the NFL. 200lbs is way too much for his frame. It’s just not in his genetics to hold that much weight and it’s obvious. He would lose some mobility and the weight would probably cause injuries to his legs and back. 

The fact is Bryce is probably going to be the smallest guy to ever play QB if you count weight and height. It’s definitely a huge concern. If I had the #1 pick and need a QB, I’m still taking Bryce, he can do amazing things… but his size will always be concerning. I would expect him to miss an average of 3 games a year (sometimes 6, sometimes 0), and play another 3-4 games banged up. But the games he does play, I think Bryce Young will be electric. He is the best play extender I have ever seen come out of college. He’s very accurate with the football. He is SUPER smart and high football IQ. He is a great guy. His arm is good (although not great and definitely behind the other three QB’s). Bryce should end up being everything Kyler was suppose to be. Kyler is a very unmotivated individual and I’ve always thought he has character issues dating back to baseball. He’s also not as clean of a prospect as Young. Young is way more polished, way smarter, makes progressions on a different level than Murray, more accurate,  and a better play extender. The only thing Kyler has on Bryce is the arm strength is definitely better. But that’s it. 

I’m excited to see Young in the NFL. But he’s far from a perfect prospect. Extremely small, arm is not the greatest, etc. But he has Steph Curry like potential in the NFL where we might see some magic moments and become a fan favorite. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

5'10 and playing weight is 193. Thats why he didnt get weighed at his pro day because he bulked up to 204 for combine measurements and is going to go all the way back to to 193 for playing 

Why did you post a gif of Desmond Watson (UF's 6'5" 415 pound NT) tackling Brian Battle (USF's 5'8" 165 pound HB)?

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Why did you post a gif of Desmond Watson (UF's 6'5" 415 pound NT) tackling Brian Battle (USF's 5'8" 165 pound HB)?

Because that is what its going to be the result when a guy the size of Dalvin Tomlinson gets ahold of Bryce Young.

People are acting like since he has 'great pocket awarness' hes never going to get hit.

Edited by AkronsWitness

2 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Because that is what its going to be the result when a guy the size of Dalvin Tomlinson gets ahold of Bryce Young.

People are acting like since he has 'great pocket awarness' hes never going to get hit.

Desmond Watson is far larger than Dalvin Tomlinson, and Brian Battle is far smaller than Bryce Young. Do you think Bryce Young didn't play against any 330 pound DTs in the SEC?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

You’re correct about the height. He officially measured 5’10” 1/2 at the combine, which would make him the second shortest QB starter in the league. Murray is the shortest who measures exactly 5’10” on the dot. 

But you’re incorrect about the weight. He bulked up for the combine like tons of players do, and then these players immediately drop this weight off their frame, because it’s not a natural fit for their frame. Bryce played around 185 in college and I would expect him to play around 190 or 195 in the NFL. 200lbs is way too much for his frame. It’s just not in his genetics to hold that much weight and it’s obvious. He would lose some mobility and the weight would probably cause injuries to his legs and back. 

The fact is Bryce is probably going to be the smallest guy to ever play QB if you count weight and height. It’s definitely a huge concern. If I had the #1 pick and need a QB, I’m still taking Bryce, he can do amazing things… but his size will always be concerning. I would expect him to miss an average of 3 games a year (sometimes 6, sometimes 0), and play another 3-4 games banged up. But the games he does play, I think Bryce Young will be electric. He is the best play extender I have ever seen come out of college. He’s very accurate with the football. He is SUPER smart and high football IQ. He is a great guy. His arm is good (although not great and definitely behind the other three QB’s). Bryce should end up being everything Kyler was suppose to be. Kyler is a very unmotivated individual and I’ve always thought he has character issues dating back to baseball. He’s also not as clean of a prospect as Young. Young is way more polished, way smarter, makes progressions on a different level than Murray, more accurate,  and a better play extender. The only thing Kyler has on Bryce is the arm strength is definitely better. But that’s it. 

I’m excited to see Young in the NFL. But he’s far from a perfect prospect. Extremely small, arm is not the greatest, etc. But he has Steph Curry like potential in the NFL where we might see some magic moments and become a fan favorite. 

Agree. There's something to be said for his processing and getting the ball out quick to alleviate getting shelled regularly. The game now is also as QB friendly as it's ever been. It's not the 80's, even the 90's. And as far as drafting him, with draft spots being slotted for pay if you miss it doesn't set you back 5 years. I'd bet on the upside.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

5'10 and playing weight is 193. Thats why he didnt get weighed at his pro day because he bulked up to 204 for combine measurements and is going to go all the way back to to 193 for playing..

He will be the lightest QB drafted since 2006 and the shortest since 1967.

As Jrry noted that is an odd gif to use for obvious reasons.

Regarding the prospect in question, Bryce Young’s measurements were almost identical to Russell Wilson and Kyler Murray.

Do you have a reliable source stating that Bryce Young won’t play at the 200+lbs he weighed in at? Or are we just following an unsubstantiated narrative on this one? It seems odd to me so many are saying he is “maxed out” and can’t get bigger. The guy is just 21 years old. I’d venture to say there is certainly a possibility he puts on some weight still. Even if he doesn’t, the QB position has never been so QB friendly (protected from big hits) in the NFL. As long as his internal clock is solid, which appears to be a strength of his, he likely won’t take all that many big hits. 

It’s an interesting QB class.

CJ Stroud - 

Safest QB prospect, should be at least a middle-of-pack starter at worst in the 15-17 range. His ceiling is also good but not as high as the other three imo. His ceiling is that 8-10 range under a good coach. Like I don’t see Stroud ever being in that Elite Tier of QB’s. He just doesn’t have that skillset. Doesn’t have a laser arm. He’s not this insanely smart QB like Young (not dumb either though). If you look at 2 years of tape and not the Georgia game, he’s really bad under pressure and a below average play extender. The Georgia game gives you hope though. But Stroud has all the things you need for a good quality starter. He has a very solid arm, he’s extremely accurate, his mechanics and footwork are superb, and he has good size at 6’3”. But Stroud is also a guy that’s always gonna need a great OL and great weapons unlike Richardson/Young who have plenty of off-script superstar type ability. 

My comparison: A premium version of Jared Goff, Derek Carr, and Dak Prescott. He has a lot of those guys pros and weaknesses. 

Bryce Young - 

The size is the biggest issue here. Can he stay durable? And can he see the middle of the field consistently? Something we know Wilson/Murray have always struggled with. Brees never struggled with it but Brees is 6’ while Wilson is 5’11 and Murray is 5’10. Bryce Young will never bust completely, he’s too good. But there is a possibility his floor is an average to slightly below average QB if he can’t stay healthy and also can’t overcome his size limitations like reading the middle of the field. But Bryce’s ceiling? I think Bryce’s ceiling is Elite Tier a hair behind names like Allen, Mahomes, and Burrow. Young’s play extension ability is amazing… it’s like Curry’s 3 point ability. Bryce can make something out of nothing every play. He’s also amazing in the redzone, has a good (not great) arm, solid pocket awareness, and extremely high football IQ. Bryce might turn into one of the best players in the league, and maybe the funnest player in the league. I’m excited to see what he does. 

Comparison: Very unique guy. I don’t have a comp but If I had to say one, I’d probably say he’s a little bit of Russell Wilson and Aaron Rodgers combo. Moreso Wilson. But really Bryce is unique and I don’t think we’ve seen someone like him before. 

Anthony Richardson -

I mean, if you build a QB in a lab he’s the dude. 6’4 1/2, 240, 4.4 speed, LASER frickin arm. Cam Size, Lamar Speed, Herbert Arm. Richardson day one arm strength is on par with Mahomes and Herbert and only behind Allen, who has a generational arm. Richardson also isn’t as raw as Levis. Richardson does make solid progressions sometimes. He is also is very POISE in the pocket and doesn’t panic. He also is a very intelligent QB and scored highest except for Bryce on the cognitive tests and in the 90th percent tile all time. Richardson can throw dimes deep as well, absolute beautiful dimes. He really needs to work on redzone accuracy and 15 yard accuracy, both of which are pretty bad. Richardson’s ceiling is the highest of the class by far. His ceiling is Mahomes, Allen, Burrow Top 4-5 QB in the league level. Although his floor is complete bust. I like Richardson a lot. I think there’s a 30-35% chance he can become the next Elite QB. 30% chance on the next great? Sign me up. And a solid 45% chance he can become at least a Top 10 QB. 

Comparison: You cook Lamar and Cam together and throw some Josh Allen seasoning at the end. 

Will Levis -

I don’t think Will Levis should be a 1st Round Pick. He has a great arm (although was throwing tons of ducks at his pro day), good (not great) mobility, and great size. Good prototypical QB to try to develop. But boy oh boy he’s a mess. Unlike Richardson, the flashes are almost non-existent. He panics in the pocket. When he has to go to a second read, he panics a vast majority of the time. He’s extremely uncomfortable going through progressions. He’s extremely uncomfortable with pressure. He is extremely inaccurate, especially deep balls. A lot of times just seems lost mentally. His mechanics are bad. This dude is a mess and I’m not sure how anyone can think him and Richardson are on the same level as Project QB’s. I do not think Levis has the mental makeup to succeed in the league. 

Comparison: Kyle Boller. Laser arm. Great athlete at the QB position. Good size. That’s it. The mental stuff is a disaster. And it has nothing to do with “knowledge”. 

I like the Top 3 QB’s a lot. I would rank them:

Bryce Young 1a

Anthony Richardson 1b

CJ Stroud 1c 

They are all neck and neck for me personally. I would love for the Raiders to nab one of them. 

Most would have Stroud above Richardson, but you need an Elite QB in this league to win championships most of the time. The ingredient list for that championship (a vast majority of the time) is Top 5-6 Elite Superstar QB and a Top 10-12 defense. The days of needing a #1 defense to win a ring do not hold true these days. Defense is still more important than offense in the playoffs, but you need that superstar QB as well. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

As Jrry noted that is an odd gif to use for obvious reasons.

Regarding the prospect in question, Bryce Young’s measurements were almost identical to Russell Wilson and Kyler Murray.

Do you have a reliable source stating that Bryce Young won’t play at the 200+lbs he weighed in at? Or are we just following an unsubstantiated narrative on this one? It seems odd to me so many are saying he is “maxed out” and can’t get bigger. The guy is just 21 years old. I’d venture to say there is certainly a possibility he puts on some weight still. Even if he doesn’t, the QB position has never been so QB friendly (protected from big hits) in the NFL. As long as his internal clock is solid, which appears to be a strength of his, he likely won’t take all that many big hits. 

It’s called bodybuilding and look at someones upper frame. Wilson’s frame can hold 215 easily. Murray 205. No chance Young’s frame can hold 200lbs. His frame and genetic upper build is very narrow. He’ll be playing in the NFL at 192-195lbs. But debating with you is a losing battle (for all the wrong reasons), so I’ll let you believe what you want. You always do anyways, lol.

26 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

It’s called bodybuilding and look at someones upper frame. Wilson’s frame can hold 215 easily. Murray 205. No chance Young’s frame can hold 200lbs. His frame and genetic upper build is very narrow. He’ll be playing in the NFL at 192-195lbs. But debating with you is a losing battle (for all the wrong reasons), so I’ll let you believe what you want. You always do anyways, lol.

In other words, Bayraider is talking out of his *** again and speaking as if his opinion is fact. 

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

I’d leave Murray out, his athleticism vs everyone else mentioned is different. You two are arguing for the same thing and knit picking the in between lmaooo. He’s slight, we’ve never seen it. The frame bothers me more than the height. I think he can get up to the low 200’s in a few years, what else was he supposed to do going into the Combine …. I’d take that over whatever Tua (who holds the ball too long at times) weighs. As a Falcons fan I’d rather see Carolina draft Stroud (who’s 215 at 6’3” pretty slender himself) and take the lesser talent and no specimen himself, not the better player.

On 4/14/2023 at 11:23 PM, THE DUKE said:

The two games I saw of Levis recently was a whole bunch of mediocrity and then a couple plays throws that make you say "whoa", but they never seen to come in the clutch. At least not the games I saw.

Yeah Levis has some good highlights, it's the rest of it that's a problem. He has the arm tools and can make gorgeous off platform throws, but he needs consistency.