Official 2023 QB Thread

NYRaider

15 hours ago, Superduperman said:

Looks overwhelmingly like Young is going #1 to the Panthers. I think he'll have a good career, I don't know if he'll ever be a top-5 guy

Bryce Young is spectacular. I think I would take him over Caleb Williams. I need to watch more of Caleb, as I didn't catch any of his USC tape from this season aside from Tulane, but based on his Oklahoma tape vs. what Bryce Young did at Bama, give me Bryce. I think he's the calmest QB I've seen aside from maybe Joe Burrow in college. He thrives in chaos like it's no big deal, which is 90% of what makes some of these QB's bust in the league. Young's ability to improvise is next to none. Dude is a star in the making & I would have been shocked if any other player went #1 in this draft.

3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Young has great intangibles but he's also pretty small. He could outquick college defensive linemen but that might not work so well in the NFL. 

It worries me that Youngs best trait is intangibles. Hes not the most accurate or best at making NFL throws (Stroud), hes doesnt have the biggest arm to push the ball downfield (Levis), hes not the most athletic (Richardson) and he is certainly last on the list in terms of prototypical size.

So he is being favored as the #1 pick in the draft because he....has great leadership, people like him and hes good at 'feeling the defense'?? 

I dont get it, I feel like all of his flaws are just being brushed over by 99% of analysts and the only great thing people continue to say about him is that he has amazing intangibles--but what about the TANGIBLES.

Edited by AkronsWitness

5 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Bryce Young is spectacular. I think I would take him over Caleb Williams. I need to watch more of Caleb, as I didn't catch any of his USC tape from this season aside from Tulane, but based on his Oklahoma tape vs. what Bryce Young did at Bama, give me Bryce. 

Nothing against Bryce who is a great prospect, but I’d take Caleb Williams over any QB in this class without hesitation. He was much better this past season at USC compared with his freshman year at Oklahoma. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

It worries me that Youngs best trait is intangibles. Hes not the most accurate or best at making NFL throws (Stroud), hes doesnt have the biggest arm to push the ball downfield (Levis), hes not the most athletic (Richardson) and he is certainly last on the list in terms of prototypical size.

So he is being favored as the #1 pick in the draft because he....has great leadership, people like him and hes good at 'feeling the defense'?? 

I dont get it, I feel like all of his flaws are just being brushed over by 99% of analysts and the only great thing people continue to say about him is that he has amazing intangibles--but what about the TANGIBLES.

Young is also very good at progressing through his reads, but I think Stroud is as well.  I prefer Stroud, but I get if people have a preference.  Young is way more accurate than Levis or Richardson.

9 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

He has the best pocket presence and can play out of structure while Stroud has shown he can do that only in game (the biggest game of his life to be fair).

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, General Tso said:

He has the best pocket presence and can play out of structure while Stroud has shown he can do that only in game (the biggest game of his life to be fair).

He has the best pocket presence until his 5'9 193lb frame gets smoked and injured by a 6'4" 290 DT who runs a 4.8 and then he starts running for his life after his first read isnt open like Kyler/Baker do now. Or God forbid it turns into another Tua situation where he continues to hang in the pocket and get rag dolled every game. 

I just dont think I can be sold that a QBs who best trait is 'pocket presence', which is so easily shattered at the NFL level, is the runaway best prospect in this draft.

Edited by AkronsWitness

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

He has the best pocket presence until his 5'9 193lb frame gets smoked and injured by a 6'4" 290 DT who runs a 4.8 and then he starts running for his life after his first read isnt open like Kyler/Baker do now.

I just dont think I can be sold that a QBs who best trait is 'pocket presence', which is so easily shattered at the NFL level, is the runaway best prospect in this draft.

While I understand the discussion is about being "best prospect," I will also argue there are many top 5 drafted QBs who never developed pocket presence even though they had the other "traits." 

His tape is just better than the other QBs except for Stroud. But Stroud has his own pros/cons. It will be an interesting litmus test to see how much you can stretch the size argument. 

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

You could say the same things about Tom Brady, Drew Brees, and Peyton Manning. Elite QBs are elite because of their ENTIRE skillset. Not because of one dominant attribute. 

He has the best pocket presence until his 5'9 193lb frame gets smoked and injured by a 6'4" 290 DT who runs a 4.8 and then he starts running for his life after his first read isnt open like Kyler/Baker do now. Or God forbid it turns into another Tua situation where he continues to hang in the pocket and get rag dolled every game. 

Because there aren't 6'4" 290 pound DTs in college?

• Like 2

He played against the same ht/wt/spd that he will play against in the NFL. 

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

He's favored as the #1 pick because he's the best at playing QB. All of the other things you mentioned go into playing the position, and he does it better than anyone else in this class.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

He played against the same ht/wt/spd that he will play against in the NFL. 

No. He didn't play against a front 7 with Jordan Davis, Jalen Carter, Travon Walker, Quay Walker, Nakobe Dean and Devonte Wyatt. He wouldn't have lived to tell about it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

5’10” 204lbs