Official 2023 QB Thread

NYRaider

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

And you might be right.  I think Levis is a pretty similar prospect to someone like Malik Willis, in that I think he's just a lotto ticket you hope develops.  I actually graded Willis higher than Levis because Willis was straight up raw, where Levis I think has to unlearn a lot of things, and had worse tape at his worst than Willis did in 2021.

The prospect I think is most similar to Levis overall though is Jordan Love.  And, like now, I was terrified in 2020 that the Titans might draft him.

Jordan Love at least showed Mahomes like ability to throw dimes off-platform. Mahomes and Allen do it regularly in the NFL. And you see a lot of it in Jordan Love and Caleb Williams tape. 

As for Levis… there is no dimes off platform. There is almost no dimes at all for that matter. Richardson has lots of dimes, especially deep. Richardson’s flashes are extraordinary. Levis has a great arm, good (not great) mobility, and good size that you are trying to develop. But the “flashes” are meh… and almost non-existent. 

5 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Jordan Love at least showed Mahomes like ability to throw dimes off-platform. Mahomes and Allen do it regularly in the NFL. And you see a lot of it in Jordan Love and Caleb Williams tape. 

As for Levis… there is no dimes off platform. There is almost no dimes at all for that matter. Richardson has lots of dimes, especially deep. Richardson’s flashes are extraordinary. Levis has a great arm, good (not great) mobility, and good size that you are trying to develop. But the “flashes” are meh… and almost non-existent. 

The two games I saw of Levis recently was a whole bunch of mediocrity and then a couple plays throws that make you say "whoa", but they never seen to come in the clutch. At least not the games I saw.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

The two games I saw of Levis recently was a whole bunch of mediocrity and then a couple plays throws that make you say "whoa", but they never seen to come in the clutch. At least not the games I saw.

Yeah.. not only does Richardson show wayyyy more flashes of greatness, but he also has a much better skillset than Levis. He also goes through progressions better than Levis. And he has poise in the pocket. Levis poise… lol. Panic galore. I also think Levis goes through progressions worse than some of the projected fourth round QB’s. How anyone can have Levis over Richardson, no idea. 

If Levis falls out of the 1st, it’s not surprising at all. If he fell to the third, then I would be shocked. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

I wonder how CJ Stroud scored on SO2 cognitive test and wonderlic? Rumors are Bryce was in the 99th percentile and Richardson in the 90th percentile. Whereas Stroud is rumored to be way behind both, which is definitely kind of concerning (saw this from some Houston and Ohio beat writers). Ohio State QB’s already have a bad rap for processing speed in the NFL. And if Stroud scored badly on both of those tests, especially SO2 cognitive (many GM’s like this test for processing speed), then will he have trouble processing progressions in the NFL like all other Ohio State QB’s before him? 

Food for thought, I guess. It’s pretty annoying they don’t release SO2 and wonderlic until a day before the draft. 

4 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I wonder how CJ Stroud scored on SO2 cognitive test and wonderlic? Rumors are Bryce was in the 99th percentile and Richardson in the 90th percentile. Whereas Stroud is rumored to be way behind both, which is definitely kind of concerning (saw this from some Houston and Ohio beat writers). Ohio State QB’s already have a bad rap for processing speed in the NFL. And if Stroud scored badly on both of those tests, especially SO2 cognitive (many GM’s like this test for processing speed), then will he have trouble processing progressions in the NFL like all other Ohio State QB’s before him? 

Food for thought, I guess. It’s pretty annoying they don’t release SO2 and wonderlic until a day before the draft. 

Is it way behind though? They've said this is the best QB class they've ever evaluated and maybe Stroud is on the bottom end but he maybe just average (say 70th%) and looking bad in comparison. Thats not to mention that SO2 testing is still quite new and we don't have open data to understand how well it correlates to anything over time. While I legit think SO2 is looking like a breakthrough measure, I understand that we need to take it with a massive grain of salt until we can parse the data better.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2023 at 4:18 PM, THE DUKE said:

I don't think Levis goes in round one.

I honestly don't know for sure - but I can sense there could be a scenario that Levis falls like Malik Willis - lot of media build up to go round 1 to the Lions and Steelers but actually falls to day 2. Maybe not all the way to the end of round 3 - but somewhere in the 2nd round. 

I just can't see Football gurus who do this for a living fall all over a cannon when he isn't good at the basic things that make QB's starters at the next level. He has more to unlearn than to learn in my opinion. 

People will knock Hendon Hookers "offense and scheme" but he goes through reads and made more NFL worthy throws than Levis and has better feel in the pocket. Levis literally has zero pocket awareness and shows tendencies to be indecisive. 

I'd only grade 2 guys at QB that are worth top 5 picks and thats young and stroud. Richardson is your guy who you take a flier in round 1 if you want to develop a high upside talent. Levis is a day 2 flier that I have 5th in this class. He can make a GM look really good if he can break the pocket awareness deficiency and develop some consistency in going through reads. However - thats a lot to ask for. THeres a reason he didn't exactly get better after leaving PSU for KU. 

I feel like Bryce Young and Stroud are easily 1-2 locks (whoever goes first). 

Richardson will go to Indy. I think it's just a matter of IF they trade to Arizona and give them some assets to secure Richardson. 

The 4th QB taken I feel is going to be Hendon Hooker. Sure I've seen some odd mocks that have him going 5 to Seattle. Where it gets interesting I feel is - He could go as high as 12 to the Titans is where the watch starts. He seems like he can be a Vrabel or Bellichik guy. He could go 12 to Tennessee , 14 to New England, 19 to TB or 20 to Seattle. 

Does him being 26 and coming off an ACL where he possibly won't play til november scare me? No, but it has some concerns. No word if he's able to be ready to play in July and partake in Training camp, pending how bad the knee injury and recovery was. (godwin was able to come back at WR from ACL surgery in Dec. 2021 and be ready for TC. ). With rumors swirling the Vikings might be interested in a guy to replace Cousins next year - Hooker can also be a landing spot to Minnesota. Baltimore being a darkhorse as well (pending this Lamar situation). 

I get the Feeling Levis is going in round 2. I don't think he goes round 1. Detroit in the 2nd round is where I place his potential starting point. 

4 hours ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

The 4th QB taken I feel is going to be Hendon Hooker. Sure I've seen some odd mocks that have him going 5 to Seattle. Where it gets interesting I feel is - He could go as high as 12 to the Titans is where the watch starts. He seems like he can be a Vrabel or Bellichik guy. He could go 12 to Tennessee , 14 to New England, 19 to TB or 20 to Seattle. 

Hooker isn't going that high.

• Like 4

Yeah, Hooker isn't going in the first round. He has great intangibles and a decent arm. But he's also coming from a gimmick offense, has an ACL injury, and is already pretty old. He looks like a guy who could turn into a longterm trustworthy back up QB. But not a guy who would be ready to start in 2023.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Yeah, Hooker isn't going in the first round. He has great intangibles and a decent arm. But he's also coming from a gimmick offense, has an ACL injury, and is already pretty old. He looks like a guy who could turn into a longterm trustworthy back up QB. But not a guy who would be ready to start in 2023.

I mean, after watching Brandon Weeden go in the first round I'll never say never.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Pat Mahomes came from a "gimmick" offense. So did Justin Herbert. 

In 2015 - Scouts LOVED that Jameis winston came from a traditional pro style offense. How did that work out? 

I believe it was Mike Tomlin when asked the stupid question about school/offensive scheme that he answered to Scout the player, not the scheme or school. Uneducated draft analysis looking at the scheme when others come to the pros from your definition of "gimmick" offenses in college. If thats the case - why hasn't any stanford QB's before and after Andrew Luck hit recently? Texas AM? Florida State? All executed pro style schemes. 

Edited by RedandPewterReturns
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

Pat Mahomes came from a "gimmick" offense. So did Justin Herbert. 

In 2015 - Scouts LOVED that Jameis winston came from a traditional pro style offense. How did that work out? 

I believe it was Mike Tomlin when asked the stupid question about school/offensive scheme that he answered to Scout the player, not the scheme or school. Uneducated draft analysis looking at the scheme when others come to the pros from your definition of "gimmick" offenses in college. If thats the case - why hasn't any stanford QB's before and after Andrew Luck hit recently? Texas AM? Florida State? All executed pro style schemes. 

Jimbo, is that you?