Official 2023 QB Thread

NYRaider

51 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Lmao put down the crack pipe. It has NOTHING to do with his medicals. Hooker has a very meh arm, his athleticism is extremely overrated, he’s slightly above average at extending plays, and he is a ONE READ QB just like Levis. Hooker being this internet daring is comical. There is nothing special about him what so ever. Nothing. What is so intriguing about him…? He screams NFL backup/spot starter, which is exactly what he’ll end up being. It reminds me of the dumbfounded Kellan Mond hype years ago… Mond was a 4th Rounder talent wise yet you had people on the internet trying to hype him up as a 1st Round or 2nd Round pick. Hooker’s ceiling is not impressive, and his floor is not round a Top 2 Round pick. He is light years behind Stroud, Young, and Richardson as a prospect. Richardson at least has an absolutely insane-level ceiling. He is also clearly behind Levis as a prospect as well but will likely have a better career than Levis. Levis likely busts completely and out of the NFL in 4 years, whereas Hooker will be a premium backup. 

Tell me you never watched Hooker without telling me you never watched Hooker.

• Like 2

Just now, Ragnarok said:

Tell me you never watched Hooker without telling me you never watched Hooker.

His arm lacks velocity. Sorry not sorry. Definitely behind the big four in arm velocity in a big way. Especialllyyyy Richardson and Levis, but clearly well behind all four. There is nothing noteworthy about his arm in any way at all. 

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I was watching Hyatt clips before I knew Hooker was even a prospect in the draft and came away thinking "damn, is that a top QB guy for 2024?". I watched more of him and thought he belong in the conversation at the top more than Levis.

It's a wonky system, but I thought he executed it well. 

4 hours ago, Forge said:

If it's rarely played, it loses value. Its ostensibly a threat that nobody wants to use for a guy that actually plays well. If your QB is that guy, all you're doing is running up the price tag on the back end. 45 million after year 3 likely becomes 60 million in year 7. 

Really feels like you're arguing "why do we need a door on the barn when all the cows stay inside anyway?" (they stay inside because there's a door) here, I gotta say...

That 5th year option, whether exercised or not is absolutely valuable for the team to have. Options in contract negotiations are really really valuable. 

If anything, that option is really underrated.

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Really feels like you're arguing "why do we need a door on the barn when all the cows stay inside anyway?" (they stay inside because there's a door) here, I gotta say...

That 5th year option, whether exercised or not is absolutely valuable for the team to have. Options in contract negotiations are really really valuable. 

If anything, that option is really underrated.

They hold some value, sure. But they are overrated (for quarterbacks) 

Just now, General Tso said:

The silver lining to Hooker being injured is he can sit and learn for a while.

I honestly couldn't spend anywhere close to the pick on him that it would require to get him, so he's ostensibly undraftable to me. 

12 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

His arm lacks velocity. Sorry not sorry. Definitely behind the big four in arm velocity in a big way. Especialllyyyy Richardson and Levis, but clearly well behind all four. There is nothing noteworthy about his arm in any way at all. 

Thats is patently untrue.  His big knocks are age, injury, and wonky system which agrees with your one read point.

He has a very good arm.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Having a 5th option results in contract negotiations a year earlier, and an extra cheap year for the team than if they did not exist.

??

You can negotiate after your third year no matter what. 

For a QB, this mostly won't apply if they are actually good. Hence I find them overrated. If you need a fifth year to figure out what you have in a QB, he's probably not it and it really doesn't matter if he's cheap. 

It holds value for Lamar situations, but that's mostly it. 

5 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Thats is patently untrue.  His big knocks are age, injury, and wonky system which agrees with your one read point.

He has a very good arm.

Agree to disagree. His throws take forever to reach the target. I said the same thing about Haskins years ago.