UPDATED: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

G08

11 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Mike Brown loves Marvin Lewis and for all the crap people want to push his way, theyve forgotten what cincy was before Marvin got there.  They had no front office, not just gm, they didnt even have a scouting staff.  Marvin has been able to push Mike Brown into the present and fielding a competent competitive team.  There is even talk that Lewis could take over as team president there when he is done coaching

What's Marvin's ceiling as a head coach? 

2 hours ago, pigsooie5 said:

1. Josh McDaniels

2. John DeFilippo

3. Matt Nagy

Is how I have them ranked, any of these 3 and I'll be pretty happy. I actually think there's a high likelihood it's one of these 3 as well. 

Even though he's not number 1 on my list, if Pace were to somehow snag McDaniels that would say a lot and a would be a good sign for MT10's future.

This pissed me off:

Sources said that during the 2001 draft, for two different reasons, Phillips vetoed trades sought by then-personnel chief Mark Hatley to land, first, LaDanian Tomlinson, and then later, Deuce McAllister. The Bears instead ended up with David Terrell and Anthony Thomas.

3 hours ago, GOGRIESE said:

What's Marvin's ceiling as a head coach? 

Idk.  He was a damn good defensive coordinator and cincy was as bad as the lions a few years ago and the browns right now before he got there.  I still remember pti when he took that job and wilbon saying it was a bad idea and kornheiser saying if he wins 6 games they build him a statue.  Hes made it a perennially competitive team that probably should have made a deep run in 2015 but ran into the nfls best team outside of qb in the texans.  7 playoff appearances in 15 years doesnt seem great but they were an absolute dumpster fire before him

From Pompeii on the Score

He was on this morning with Haugh and they both agreed on the following.

-McD is the #1 choice out there. His demand for control of the 53 man roster is way over blown. Just like a marriage, the two parties have to be in sync on the decisions for the relationship to succeed. 

-Shurmur is next who will be a rock solid HC.

-It helps that both have prior HC experience.

-Then there is a big drop off after that.

-Flip is the flavor of the day, catch lightening in a bottle Mcvay reach for who is the exception, not the rule. He would be a very risky hire.

-no talk of Nagy after that.

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

From Pompeii on the Score

-McD is the #1 choice out there. His demand for control of the 53 man roster is way over blown. Just like a marriage, the two parties have to be in sync on the decisions for the relationship to succeed. 

This aligns with what Michael Lombardi said yesterday. It’s more important that the HC controls the gameday 45, and the GM stocks the rest of the roster with prospects.

I’m fairly certain Fox had full control of the 45. I think this was especially evident late in the season when we saw a guy like Deiondre Hall inactive over Prosinski.

Interesting that McDs is the top choice.  Flip is the hot choice for sure so Pace better know what he is getting. Shurmur just doesn't do it for me at all. He seems bland and really not someone who can take command of a locker room.

MCDs would be a very interesting HC choice, one I would approve of.

13 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I don’t know why, but he just doesn’t do it for me.

Probably after seeing his failure in Cleveland.

Really shouldn't effect people too much. Nobody does good there, and was fired due to the new group taking over.

Did well after the Kelly departure in Philly

Took a junk O-line in Minnesota, back-up RB and a 3rd string QB nobody in the league wanted and turned them into a top 10 offense in the NFL (according to the stats)

Not saying he is the best HC ever in the world, but I think he could be solid there for you. Parts are there.

MT is better than Keenum

Howard and Cohen are a great combo in his offense, look at what he is doing with Murray and Jet.

Offensive line is put together as well as the Vikings.

WR's are the weakest point, but Cam is returning, White is still an unknown, and I would assume it would be a spot either you guys target in FA or the draft, if not both.

Solid defense also, so having a HC that could run the offense like Shurmur, team could look alot like what the Vikings are.

Archived