Where does Kevin Durant go?

brownie man

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2022 at 5:34 PM, turtle28 said:

I think he stays & the Nets keep Kyrie too. I want to see the Nets w/ Kyrie, Joe Harris, KD & Ben all together for at least 1/2 the year just to see what it looks like. I do think they can win a title together.

They are at the very least in the conversation as title contenders.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2022 at 4:34 AM, THE DUKE said:

They are at the very least in the conversation as title contenders.

It's a pretty big "IF" but if they're healthy I agree that Kyrie/Durant/Simmons has the potential to win a title. I think one of their biggest issues is that Nash just really isn't a very good coach. Outside of the KD/Kyrie drama I think they've had a pretty good offseason though retaining Mills/Claxton and adding O'Neale/Warren on the wing. They'll also likely be getting Joe Harris back and in an ideal world guys like Thomas/Sharpe could improve and become rotational players for them as well. 

Kyrie / Harris / Durant / Simmons / Claxton 

With Curry, Mills, Warren, O'Neale, Thomas, and Sharpe off the bench

Still has some flaws with a ton of smaller guards and limited rim protection/size in the paint but that's still a very good team.

Edited by NYRaider

On 7/8/2022 at 12:43 PM, Humble_Beast said:

only two possible KD trades 

Phoenix for 

Ayton, 5 1sts, and Cam Johnson 

or Pelicans 
Jaxson Hayes, Trent Murphy, Brandon Ingram, Kira Lewis 
2 1st round picks 

I think a Suns package would be built around Bridges and picks as the Nets have made it pretty clear they don't really value Ayton and the Suns can't even trade him until January 15th now. I wouldn't be surprised to see a three team deal between the Pacers/Nets/Suns during the season though where Ayton lands in Indiana, Turner/Durant land in Phoenix, and Bridges/Picks/Pieces end up in Brooklyn.

9 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I think a Suns package would be built around Bridges and picks as the Nets have made it pretty clear they don't really value Ayton and the Suns can't even trade him until January 15th now. I wouldn't be surprised to see a three team deal between the Pacers/Nets/Suns during the season though where Ayton lands in Indiana, Turner/Durant land in Phoenix, and Bridges/Picks/Pieces end up in Brooklyn.

From a logistics' standpoint, it'd hard to make a midseason Kevin Durant deal work because of roster constraints.  And there's no chance that Phoenix walks away with Kevin Durant AND Myles Turner.  Turner goes to Brooklyn in that scenario.

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

From a logistics' standpoint, it'd hard to make a midseason Kevin Durant deal work because of roster constraints.  And there's no chance that Phoenix walks away with Kevin Durant AND Myles Turner.  Turner goes to Brooklyn in that scenario.

I don't think that they'd want Turner though since he's on the last year of his deal and if they're rebuilding I doubt that he'd resign with them. If the Pacers are motivated to land Ayton and also maximize Turner's value before they likely lose him in free agency for nothing they could potentially attach one of their 3 1st round picks in 2023 that would be rerouted to Brooklyn. They're also currently like $25M under the cap so they wouldn't have to send out additional salary to help facilitate a deal. 

Do you think the Lakers should attach their 2027 and 2029 picks to Russ for Turner/Buddy?

Edited by NYRaider

12 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I don't think that they'd want Turner though since he's on the last year of his deal and if they're rebuilding I doubt that he'd resign with them. If the Pacers are motivated to land Ayton and also maximize Turner's value before they likely lose him in free agency for nothing they could potentially attach one of their 3 1st round picks in 2023 that would be rerouted to Brooklyn. They're also currently like $25M under the cap so they wouldn't have to send out additional salary to help facilitate a deal. 

I mentioned in on another forum, but I think Myles Turner FA market is going to be soft.  I don't see teams lining up to hand him a huge contract.  Think 4 years, $72M is what he'd get on the open market.  That'd be reasonable, and he'd be a good fit next to Ben Simmons.

13 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Do you think the Lakers should attach their 2027 and 2029 picks to Russ for Turner/Buddy?

I'd lean towards no.  Unless there's some real protections on those picks.  And nothing is going to happen until we get some resolution with Kyrie Irving.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mentioned in on another forum, but I think Myles Turner FA market is going to be soft.  I don't see teams lining up to hand him a huge contract.  Think 4 years, $72M is what he'd get on the open market.  That'd be reasonable, and he'd be a good fit next to Ben Simmons.

I'd lean towards no.  Unless there's some real protections on those picks.  And nothing is going to happen until we get some resolution with Kyrie Irving.

I think he'll get a similar deal to what Jarrett Allen got, so something around 4 yr/$80M. The Nets just resigned Claxton and they seem to like Sharpe as a piece as well, that's why they didn't bring back Drummond. If they're going to blow it up I'd guess that draft picks would be more of a priority. Teams like the Lakers, Jazz, Spurs, Grizzles, and Rockets will all have cap space next summer and could be in the market for a starting center. 

I think the Lakers pick situation is severely overblown. You guys are set to have 3 picks over the next 4 draft cycles and you can't trade any of them because of the protections you gave to the Pelicans. It seems to be trending towards KD returning to Brooklyn so Kyrie likely isn't dealt. Isn't there some sort of deadline in regards to LeBron's potential extension coming up soon?

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I think he'll get a similar deal to what Jarrett Allen got, so something around 4 yr/$80M. The Nets just resigned Claxton and they seem to like Sharpe as a piece as well, that's why they didn't bring back Drummond. If they're going to blow it up I'd guess that draft picks would be more of a priority. Teams like the Lakers, Jazz, Spurs, Grizzles, and Rockets will all have cap space next summer and could be in the market for a starting center. 

Drummond is a minimum salary player.  You don't change your franchise for minimum salary players.  And Claxton got tMLE on a 2 year, so again it's not hard to envision him as your first big off the bench.  As far as the market for FA centers go, I think only the Lakers are going to have real interest in Turner.  Jazz, Rockets, and Spurs are all clearly rebuilding, and I'd imagine that Houston wants to see what they have in Sengun before they commit big money to a center.  Grizz have Steven Adams right now, so I'm not sure how much they're improving by swapping Adams for Turner.  As for the Lakers, I think they have bigger fish to fry than spending big on a center.

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I think the Lakers pick situation is severely overblown. You guys are set to have 3 picks over the next 4 draft cycles and you can't trade any of them because of the protections you gave to the Pelicans. It seems to be trending towards KD returning to Brooklyn so Kyrie likely isn't dealt. Isn't there some sort of deadline in regards to LeBron's potential extension coming up soon?

It really isn't.  LeBron turns 38 years old at the end of the year, and he's a FA after the season.  God forbid in a worst case scenario, LeBron leaves and the Nets and Kyrie make their relationship work the Lakers are looking at Anthony Davis and whatever hodge podge collection of players they can sign as FA next offseason with no controllable draft picks.  That's not really a recipe for success.  And like Brooklyn right now, they wouldn't be able to just tank since they wouldn't have control of their picks until 2031 at the earliest.  I think a lightly protected FRP and a pick swap is the most the Lakers would send in a Hield/Turner deal.

And no, I believe he can sign an extension until the season officially ends.

26 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Drummond is a minimum salary player.  You don't change your franchise for minimum salary players.  And Claxton got tMLE on a 2 year, so again it's not hard to envision him as your first big off the bench.  As far as the market for FA centers go, I think only the Lakers are going to have real interest in Turner.  Jazz, Rockets, and Spurs are all clearly rebuilding, and I'd imagine that Houston wants to see what they have in Sengun before they commit big money to a center.  Grizz have Steven Adams right now, so I'm not sure how much they're improving by swapping Adams for Turner.  As for the Lakers, I think they have bigger fish to fry than spending big on a center.

It really isn't.  LeBron turns 38 years old at the end of the year, and he's a FA after the season.  God forbid in a worst case scenario, LeBron leaves and the Nets and Kyrie make their relationship work the Lakers are looking at Anthony Davis and whatever hodge podge collection of players they can sign as FA next offseason with no controllable draft picks.  That's not really a recipe for success.  And like Brooklyn right now, they wouldn't be able to just tank since they wouldn't have control of their picks until 2031 at the earliest.  I think a lightly protected FRP and a pick swap is the most the Lakers would send in a Hield/Turner deal.

And no, I believe he can sign an extension until the season officially ends.

The Nets would just have to convince Turner to resign with them though and considering they wanted nothing to do with Ayton, I'm not sure that they'll prioritize paying a center in a major rebuild over additional draft capital / cap flexibility. 

You guys will have 3 picks over the next four years: LAL/NOP in 2023, your own pick in 2024/2025 (if NOP defers), and your own pick in 2026. So in reality you just don't have a pick in either 2024 or 2025 and still always have the option to trade AD to recoup picks in a scenario where LeBron decides to sign elsewhere next summer. 

I read that the 4th was an important date for him?

I think the most ideal/storybook ending for LeBron (over the next 3 years) would be breaking Kareem's record as a member of the Lakers then going back to Cleveland to chase one more title with Garland/Mobley and finally signing with the team that drafts his son so he can play the final year of his career with him.

Edited by NYRaider