Training Camp 2022: Luh-trowb or Lay-trowb?

Dcash4

30 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

I was trying to think of a player that left for a FA payday or was traded and performed really well.  I can't think of any.  Maybe Woodson?  But I don't recall the specifics of that scenario.  Urbik?  But I don't think he signed a big contract.  Who am I missing?  I'm sure there is one but the Seelers are one of the best when knowing when to let go.   

Faneca had a couple years in him after he left. He was a quality player for the Jets. Joey Porter had a season with Miami that was solid. I can’t really think of anyone else off the top of my head. Vrabel? Unitas? Lol

32 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

I was trying to think of a player that left for a FA payday or was traded and performed really well.  I can't think of any.  Maybe Woodson?  But I don't recall the specifics of that scenario.  Urbik?  But I don't think he signed a big contract.  Who am I missing?  I'm sure there is one but the Seelers are one of the best when knowing when to let go.   

Sanders was probably the best? He and Wallace are the two that come to mind. Though, Wallace kinda disappointed vs the contract he got. 

Just heard a couple guys talk about "grass isnt greener" around this team. Kinda hoping it stays with that mindset. 

30 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

@MOSteelers56 @Dcash4  That's a pretty good list in terms of Steeler decision making.  FA started in 1993 and if the best of the bunch is Vrabel, Sanders, Faneca and Porter...I'd say that's pretty good management.  

Mike Wallace had a few decent seasons after he left. Nothing better than when he was here. Maybe Emmanuel Sanders too, but nothing crazy. 

20 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Really good to hear. I was kinda surprised to see Alex had a couple articles talking negatively about Trubisky. I guess I shouldn’t say surprised, but I thought from tweets he looked alright. Didn’t realize he was 0-16 at one point in 7 shots. 

They gave Mitch a strong head start taking all the 1 reps, but this race feels pretty even after 2 weeks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

Really good to hear. I was kinda surprised to see Alex had a couple articles talking negatively about Trubisky. I guess I shouldn’t say surprised, but I thought from tweets he looked alright. Didn’t realize he was 0-16 at one point in 7 shots. 

They gave Mitch a strong head start taking all the 1 reps, but this race feels pretty even after 2 weeks. 

2. The quarterback hierarchy remained the same, with Trubisky getting the first-team reps, followed by Mason Rudolph and then Kenny Pickett. But all three very well could have had their best days on Thursday. Rudolph continued to play be the most accurate out of them all, but Pickett seems to have turned the corner a little bit with his decision-making, reads and his velocity on his ball. He still showed that he can complete passes on the run with the best of them.

From Kaboly’s article today^ it’s almost like two new QBs needed more than a week to get comfortable with the offense (coming from me who was admittedly getting a little concerned). 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

This is the way more fun way to look at it. Tear up the final year of the rookie deal (which he outperformed) and you come to $13.32M per year.....I love the fakeness of NFL numbers. 

Way friendly team deal, but nice deal for DJ too.  Loved the Renfrow deal when he put himself back on the market early and after the cap explosion. DJ gets that now too. So, if he plays well, when AJ Brown is making $25M per, he will be making $30m+. 

Skill positions are set through 2024. Go fill it up on defense in the draft and buy yourself the best T on the market next year. 

Okay @Dcash4 and @bigben07MVP....this is the type of deal for Diontae that I can fully support, and I give the Steelers front office MAJOR credit if this ends up happening....especially considering the going rate for lesser WRs than DJ.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, 43M said:

Okay @Dcash4 and @bigben07MVP....this is the type of deal for Diontae that I can fully support, and I give the Steelers front office MAJOR credit if this ends up happening....especially considering the going rate for lesser WRs than DJ.

I think the biggest thing here is none of us took DJ as the type of guy to take a team friendly deal like this, especially with the way the WR market exploded this offseason. Props to Khan for getting it done and props to DJ for realizing the grass isn’t always greener. It’s a breath of fresh air after what we went through with Bell and AB.

I am loving Khan as GM so far. Wasting no time with Boz, Minkah, DJ, and going to get Ogunjobi shortly after Tuitt retired. He’s not playing any games.

I also think a shorter deal for Diontae makes a ton of sense because he still has plenty of motivation to keep improving, fix the mental mistakes and drops, and go get a serious bag in 2024.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

His Trubisky takes have been kinda all over the place.  Like last 7-shots go round his weapons were Pickens, White, Radar, Gunner, and Snell.  No wonder he went 0-fer.  

Member: No Najee last 3 days, no Freiermuth all camp, no Claypool since day 4, no DJ, LG battle, and new C/RG.  Up against the most expensive defense in the NFL that is slated to be top 5.

We need a game to happen.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, warfelg said:

His Trubisky takes have been kinda all over the place.  Like last 7-shots go round his weapons were Pickens, White, Radar, Gunner, and Snell.  No wonder he went 0-fer.  

Member: No Najee last 3 days, no Freiermuth all camp, no Claypool since day 4, no DJ, LG battle, and new C/RG.  Up against the most expensive defense in the NFL that is slated to be top 5.

We need a game to happen.

Also no Watt, Heyward, Larry O, Minkah, or Levi Wallace on a lot of those days so far too. Jack is new, Wallace and Kazee too. It also is a trickle down effect. If Mitch is playing with second stringers, that means Mason is with 3rd, and Kenny with future sales associates. 

You can only control what you can control. There’s some definite leeway to be given considering circumstances, but situation football is going to be critical (and a likely determining factor for who is QB1). Dudes who are attending practice everyday are raising flags and 0-16 in critical situation isn’t good no matter how you slice it. I’m not passing judgment after 2 weeks, but it is something to monitor — as the writers seem to be suggesting. 

38 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Also no Watt, Heyward, Larry O, Minkah, or Levi Wallace on a lot of those days so far too. Jack is new, Wallace and Kazee too. It also is a trickle down effect. If Mitch is playing with second stringers, that means Mason is with 3rd, and Kenny with future sales associates. 

You can only control what you can control. There’s some definite leeway to be given considering circumstances, but situation football is going to be critical (and a likely determining factor for who is QB1). Dudes who are attending practice everyday are raising flags and 0-16 in critical situation isn’t good no matter how you slice it. I’m not passing judgment after 2 weeks, but it is something to monitor — as the writers seem to be suggesting. 

Like one comment another SD guy made was Sutton made a great play undercutting Boykin who didn’t finish the comeback and I recall a jumping catch by White where Witherspoon pushed him OB as White was drifting to the backline unnecessarily. 

it’s grain of salt both ways. 

• Like 1

This has been talked about a lot this off-season, but how good are our skill players on offense? I’ve never seen a Steeler offense with as much talent at the skill spots as now. If we had a backup RB that was any good, we’d be stacked at every skill spot. I’ve never seen a TE room as good as this one. WR room is stacked. We’ve got Najee. We’ve had better RB depth(and the Young Money WR room was stacked)but never with this many talented other skill positions. Just gotta hope the line holds up and the QB can throw it a little.

• Like 1