Training Camp 2022: Luh-trowb or Lay-trowb?

Dcash4

I have no faith in Matt Canada, but I haven't seen anything report wise suggesting this is a copy and paste scheme from last year. 

We already see tons and tons of posts about play action, moving pockets, and throwing down the seams. So far, there's nothing to suggest this isn't a different offensive scheme. 

• Like 1

Nothing crazy about this tweet, but it followed seeing Gunner had two drops in 7 shots. I don't mean to root against Gunner, I liked the signing when we made it....But I really am pulling for Anthony Miller. 

DJ, Claypool, Pickens, Miller, and Austin makes a really nice sounding top 5 receivers. Throw in the gunner/ST winner of White and Boykin and I like the 6. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Nothing crazy about this tweet, but it followed seeing Gunner had two drops in 7 shots. I don't mean to root against Gunner, I liked the signing when we made it....But I really am pulling for Anthony Miller. 

DJ, Claypool, Pickens, Miller, and Austin makes a really nice sounding top 5 receivers. Throw in the gunner/ST winner of White and Boykin and I like the 6. 

I agree completely with the Gunner sentiment. Miller is a far more complete player and probably not much of a downgrade on return abilities. I think their special teams coverage will probably be the deciding factor. I know Gunner is supposed to be a good...gunner...as well as returner. That's a weird sentence. That's why I think we keep Boykin and Miller as our bottom WRs. Boykin is a good coverage guy, Miller can be a returner and solid slot option. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I have no faith in Matt Canada, but I haven't seen anything report wise suggesting this is a copy and paste scheme from last year. 

We already see tons and tons of posts about play action, moving pockets, and throwing down the seams. So far, there's nothing to suggest this isn't a different offensive scheme. 

I have missed these reports, but I did see Kaboly saying the offense looks the same to him. I have seen the passing numbers and play-by-plays done by Depot. 

4 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I think it’s in the playcalling that we will see the difference. 

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

I think it’s in the playcalling that we will see the difference. 

You are right, that should definitely be a part of it. 

Reading Kaboly's comment in an answer to a reader question, he seems to just be alluding to the similarity of a short, quick passing game. Sure that could be a copy over in philosophy, but it won't have to mean it's the same offense. Similarities don't mean the same.  You can have success with that scheme in the NFL, but it can't be your only thing and thanks to Ben's actual physical limitations -- it was. 

We already see them putting in the building blocks of moving QBs, under center alignment, play action, more jet motion, and even using the middle of the field based on TC reports. Those are the things Ben wouldn't/couldn't do. There are more tools in the belt to counter defenses and open up short game. I still have no faith Canada is the guy to do it....but at least this year there are options. 

9 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Reading Kaboly's comment in an answer to a reader question, he seems to just be alluding to the similarity of a short, quick passing game. Sure that could be a copy over in philosophy, but it won't have to mean it's the same offense. Similarities don't mean the same.  You can have success with that scheme in the NFL, but it can't be your only thing and thanks to Ben's actual physical limitations -- it was. 

We already see them putting in the building blocks of moving QBs, under center alignment, play action, more jet motion, and even using the middle of the field based on TC reports. Those are the things Ben wouldn't/couldn't do. There are more tools in the belt to counter defenses and open up short game. I still have no faith Canada is the guy to do it....but at least this year there are options. 

If they make the offense look like the SF offense I would be happy.  That offense has a lot of motion on every play and does a good job of scheming the receivers open.

I do not trust Canada to call plays.

11 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Problem with Kaboly is, while a good one of crafting stories, he’s not great at describing offenses. 

Sure, some of last years offense was likely Canada based principals of quick hitting, screens, even the pistol. But go back and watch his last college steps and you would know what you are seeing from last year is a very neutered Canada offense. 

Like you said, the motions, sweeps, MOF, heck even combo routes were missing. I would look for the offense on the surface (quick passing, formations) to look similar, but that’s about it. 

Do I have blind faith in Canada? No. Do I think it can get worse than last year? No. Do I think the offense will start faster? Absolutely. 

I’ll pick on that last point a second. I think that Ben was very uncomfortable in 2020 with Canadas influence, didn’t like running his offense in 2021, and the offense was clunky because Ben was resisting those things. Then at the end just went to his comfort zone and it got us a win. 

I think having QBs brought in that have comfort with these concepts, have familiarity with what it means for reads, and buying into running the offense from snap 1 can make a difference.