49ers Training Camp 2022 Thread

49erurtaza

1 minute ago, NinerNation21 said:

Crocker was saying as much on Locked On 49ers a a day or two ago. I agree with that. Middlekauff took the opposite stance over the weekend. He said he thinks Shanny absolutely loves Purdy and will try to keep him on the 53. 

I was more inline with Middlekauff before Shanny said he's keeping 9 OL. I pivoted toward not keeping Purdy knowing that now. 

I agree with Crock myself, but I agree with Middlekauff in regards to what Shanny will do. I have kept 3 Qbs on the roster in my 53 projection. 

Finding room for a 9th OL is going to be interesting though, I think you're right. The obvious places to look for that would be CB or WR I think. Dropping the 6th WR may be the way to go. How often did we have 6 receivers active for game day? If we only use 5,  that means that ever week, if we want to dress Turner for special teams, we are deactivating Jennings,  Ray Ray or Gray. 

I think I'd rather just see if I can have someone like Moore run on special teams? 

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

I agree with Crock myself, but I agree with Middlekauff in regards to what Shanny will do. I have kept 3 Qbs on the roster in my 53 projection. 

Finding room for a 9th OL is going to be interesting though, I think you're right. The obvious places to look for that would be CB or WR I think. Dropping the 6th WR may be the way to go. How often did we have 6 receivers active for game day? If we only use 5,  that means that ever week, if we want to dress Turner for special teams, we are deactivating Jennings,  Ray Ray or Gray. 

I think I'd rather just see if I can have someone like Moore run on special teams? 

I'm fine with 5 WRs. But, I'd prefer to keep 4 TEs then. Kroft is a good blocker and OK receiver, essentially the inverse of Dwelley. I don't feel great with 5 WRs and 3 TEs.

As for CB, I have 5 locks right now and I think we keep a 6th corner. My preference would be Donte Johnson for his flexibility, but I could also be talked into Hollman or Castro-Fields. 

49 minutes ago, 49erscap said:

If Purdy has another nice game tonight, we may HAVE to keep 3 QBs, I'm worried about losing guys like Purdy, Poe, Mason, Castro-Fields, etc.....

Poe is not going anywhere.

Mason could certainly be picked by some other team depending on what they do with Hasty/Sermon. 

Not worried about losing Purdy if he is picked up by another team.

Don't know enough about Castro-Fields and how he has looked to be worried at this point lol.

• Like 1

Purdy is just another guy. Every team has a Jordan Mason-type that they want to develop. Poe isn't going anywhere. Castro-Fields hasn't shown much of anything. I doubt other teams are clamoring for these guys to hit the market. It's important to remember that most fans overvalue their favorite team's players.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 49erscap said:

If Purdy has another nice game tonight, we may HAVE to keep 3 QBs, I'm worried about losing guys like Purdy, Poe, Mason, Castro-Fields, etc.....

I'm not too worried about. Castro Fields is probably the guy I would be saddest most about losing, just because I thought he was going to get drafted earlier and I think it's very possible that another team may have liked him more than where he was drafted and brings him on as a developmental cb6. I'd like to have him as a developmental corner with upside. But we are just going to have to hope for the best there because I don't see any way he makes the roster without injury help. 

Poe will make the roster I think. 

After that, it's always hard to gauge who gets claimed and who doesn't, because it only takes one, but honestly, we tend to overrate the number of guys who get claimed after the final cut down day. Based on prior history of reviewing the transaction wire, I think it's probably less than 10% who get claimed? Purdy wouldn't be a big loss to me and seems very unlikely to get claimed regardless. Some teams don't carry 3, some teams just would be a terrible fit for him scheme  (and maybe weather wise), etc. 

We turnover running backs like nobody's business. It's not a highly prized position, and we have often been able to cut running backs in the past and not have to worry about. I remember all of the hype that Hasty got in 2020 and everyone was sure that we couldn't stash him on the PS and he went through without an issue. I want to see Mason get a real shot, but so far he's succeeded mostly against 3rd and 4th stringers, so I'm not sure that we are losing anything special if someone claims him and I don't doubt this staff's ability to find another guy that can come in and fill the spot if needed. 

I'd much rather have Purdy than Sudfeld as our backup. If it were me I'd be trying to get Sudfeld onto the PS, but I'm sure our staff values Sudfeld as a sounding board for Trey and want to keep him around; again, I don't see him being claimed and I think the PS would be perfect for him. 

All these people keep comparing Purdy to Mullens, who just got traded to be a backup for a 7th rounder. I think Purdy has a lot more value than Sudfeld around the league, but maybe I'm overvaluing him. I probably have a soft spot for him as he was the late round QB I was hoping we'd pick. 

I think he can produce like Minshew and is an awesome option to be a spot starter for us as a backup if necessary. 

I don't really see the need to keep 6 receivers on the active roster, especially if we go heavy on the DBs. 

1 hour ago, GW21 said:

I'd much rather have Purdy than Sudfeld as our backup. If it were me I'd be trying to get Sudfeld onto the PS, but I'm sure our staff values Sudfeld as a sounding board for Trey and want to keep him around; again, I don't see him being claimed and I think the PS would be perfect for him. 

All these people keep comparing Purdy to Mullens, who just got traded to be a backup for a 7th rounder. I think Purdy has a lot more value than Sudfeld around the league, but maybe I'm overvaluing him. I probably have a soft spot for him as he was the late round QB I was hoping we'd pick. 

I think he can produce like Minshew and is an awesome option to be a spot starter for us as a backup if necessary. 

I don't really see the need to keep 6 receivers on the active roster, especially if we go heavy on the DBs. 

Brock Purdy wasn't even very good in the Big 12. He was downright terrible against Iowa's defense. The guy *might* have the upside to be a serviceable #2, but right now he is nowhere ready to be the primary backup on an NFL team. Sudfeld was the better college prospect and has multiple years of experience in the NFL and more than a year of experience in Shanahan's system. If Trey Lance goes down (knock on wood), there is no way that I would want Purdy to replace him rather than Sudfeld.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Forge said:

The thing is...and this is no knock on Purdy...but there's seriously a Purdy in the draft every year. Anyone claiming Purdy would also have to put him on the 53, a lot of teams won't even carry 3 QBs, so I can't imagine that a lot of teams are going to burn a roster spot on Purdy if we cut him. 

He may also prefer to sign on the practice squad with us given that next year he's likely all but assured to be the backup QB. 

What if the team claiming Purdy currently only has Drew Lock and Geno Smith competing for their starting spot? And they can pick up our third QB and carry him on the roster just to spite us! It's not like having 3 QBs on their roster will be the reason they miss the playoffs.

5 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

What if the team claiming Purdy currently only has Drew Lock and Geno Smith competing for their starting spot? And they can pick up our third QB and carry him on the roster just to spite us! It's not like having 3 QBs on their roster will be the reason they miss the playoffs.

I'm okay with that. There's another Brock Purdy next year

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, struby3 said:

Brock Purdy wasn't even very good in the Big 12. He was downright terrible against Iowa's defense. The guy *might* have the upside to be a serviceable #2, but right now he is nowhere ready to be the primary backup on an NFL team. Sudfeld was the better college prospect and has multiple years of experience in the NFL and more than a year of experience in Shanahan's system. If Trey Lance goes down (knock on wood), there is no way that I would want Purdy to replace him rather than Sudfeld.

Sudfeld has been around for 6 years and his most memorable moment was taking over for Hurts in Doug Pederson's last game in Philadelphia and playing like trash. There is nothing to suggest he'd be a better option to me. 

I think Sudfeld is a great sounding board for Lance, which he could do while being a member of the practice squad. From my perspective Sudfeld is a good locker room guy, but not an overly good football player.

Purdy has the potential to be a Minshew or Shaun Hill type guy who could come in, manage the game, and make some plays to keep you in the hunt if god forbid something happens to Trey in my opinion. 

I'm not saying he's a starter or anything, but I do want to keep him around for that #2 role, whether that's this year or next. To each his own though. 

2 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Yeah, I don't care to lose Purdy. Lol

Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t going to be a move that’ll cripple me emotionally or anything, it’d just be mildly disappointing to me is all.