Training camp news and discussion

JAF-N72EX

6 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

You have spent the last few pages arguing with me about Borom AND Jenkins and saying neither have earned the right to start. AKA not good enough. While also continuously bringing up the fact they were drafted the last regime (for some odd reason because irrelevant) but now your gonna say you haven't denied it?  🤣

You literally said, verbatim;

Just the same old JAF making assumptions on what people think and using it to argue with himself.

How is any of that rooting against either of them? 2024 is 3 seasons away, that is an Eternity in the NFL. I didnt say they are bums, I didnt say they couldnt be starters. I said, at that time, with everything we currently know, that I wasnt confident that they would be IN 3 SEASONS TIME.

That is including Jenkins Injury history, and what at the time was his apparent inability to beat out lesser talented players for reps in camp. I thought maybe that was because of his recovery or some other injury, couldnt have guess he was being "immature" but that makes even more sense now.

And while I love Borom, you know the guy who I touted all last offseason in this very forum. He isnt the type of lineman who they want for this system, and I dont think they are going to push a square peg into a round hole to get average or alittle better production from a guy who they didnt draft (which the fact you dont think means anything is hilarious). But you wouldnt know any of that, because you dont engage in any of these conversations around here, its just "JAG's way or Ill post an emoji"

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

But the Bears, how many people do you have in your front office that uhhh.. work on culture and work on player relations?

So everyone is just gonna gloss over this part of the story too I guess.

Some people have been slurping Poles jock so hard and changing their viewpoints and opinions along the way just to suit it and it's only the offseason!  I can't wait for the regular season.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Just the same old JAF making assumptions on what people think and using it to argue with himself.

Pot meet Kettle.

On 7/29/2022 at 6:14 PM, JAF-N72EX said:
On 7/29/2022 at 11:11 AM, StLunatic88 said:

All you have been saying all offseason is these Lineman are Fringe starters and stop gaps????

Not true at all. I've never said this.

1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

So everyone is just gonna gloss over this part of the story too I guess.

Some people have been slurping Poles jock so hard and changing their viewpoints and opinions along the way just to suit it and it's only the offseason!  I can't wait for the regular season.

Tbh I didnt even know there was a role for that until Poles fired the last guy. Lol. With some guys being young and not knowing how to handle so much money so I can definitely see why a counselor or something like that would be a  valuable resource. 

GM, HC, and top picks are all being paid millions per year. GM and HC should be the ones holding these guys accountable and if you're being paid millions then you should be mature enough to work your *** off.  Idk what is true with Jenkins (and im at least a bit skeptical of anything I read posted on twitter) but if he is being a slacker then he needs reprimanded. If there is an injury then Poles and Flus shouldn't be stupid and just be at least somewhat up front to prevent the fan/media head cannon from starting. Thats pretty much universal for the team to me. 

16 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Now, lets take this and report it as it really was without the including your very own interpretation.

Here is what was really said (word for word):

"What I'm hearing is, there is high level of disconnect between Teven and the new coaching staff. Especially Chris Morgan. The new OL coach. That means you have a highly immature player whoe's got alot of talent. As one person who would know who is close to the team said to me-- he's their most talented lineman, but I'm also hearing that he's wildly immature". And so this is on Teven Jenkins to grow the hell up. But the Bears, how many people do you have in your front office that uhhh.. work on culture and work on player relations?

But yes, I'm not buying the covid stuff either. Teams have to report it and we would've heard it by now.

How was my representation of what was said wrong?

• Like 1

Every OL on this team should have to earn a spot. None of them have played at a level recently to be given a spot.

To earn a spot you need to be on the field.

Until Jenkins does that none of this matters… and he doesn’t seem like he wants to be on the field.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

Every OL on this team should have to earn a spot. None of them have played at a level recently to be given a spot.

Until Jenkins does that none of this matters… and he doesn’t seem like he wants to be on the field.

I totally agree here. I think people get more fixated on players and player potential than actual results. Potential alone cannot be the reason to push players. There are so many factors that play into what makes a player effective. Desire, work ethic, coachability, and football intelligence have to be considered. Talent alone does not a football player make.

I'm glad to see someone else is finally recognizing this crap and calling it like it is instead of just jerking off Poles.

https://www.bleachernation.com/bears/2022/07/31/whats-going-on-with-the-bears-and-teven-jenkins/

David Kaplan shares some insight that might help bridge the gaps and fill in what’s going on with Jenkins:

There is a bunch of stuff in that nearly 6-minute video from Kaplan that rings plausible to me. For instance, the nugget about a “high level of disconnect” between Jenkins and the Bears’ coaches. This isn’t wholly unfamiliar territory. A new coaching staff not vibing with an old regime’s top pick is nothing new in football. But there is other, more telling nuggets Kaplan offers that set off some alarms.

Kaplan shares that someone close to the Bears called Jenkins “their most talented lineman” (which is nice) but also “wildly immature” (which isn’t). If the immaturity stuff is true, which is a pretty important if in the grand scheme of things, this is problematic and worrisome. And that is without wondering if these issues are what made Jenkins’ draft stock slide out of the first round in 2021 in the first place.

To be clear, I don’t want to be out here acting like Jenkins is some sort of head case. Going to that place would be like jumping ship at the first sign of turbulence. But perhaps there is something at play here beyond the injuries and the fact that the Poles regime didn’t draft him. And thinking through this situation reminds me a bit of the early stage of the Kyle Fuller-Vic Fangio dynamic.

https://www.bleachernation.com/bears/2022/07/29/teven-jenkins-misses-a-second-practice-with-an-injury-but-the-bears-are-not-going-to-tell-us-much-again/

There have been rumblings in some corners of Bears Twitter casting doubt on Jenkins’ future with the team. And in some cases, it is fair to question. After all, we’ve seen Jenkins go from projecting as a starting left tackle all the way down to rolling with the second-string offense at right tackle.

Me? I wouldn’t yet go as far as to think Chicago would already cut ties with Jenkins.

Yes, some of that is rooted in the cash investment tied into Jenkins. Per OverTheCap’s calculations, cutting Jenkins at the end of the summer would lead the Bears to take on a $2,006,329 dead money charge. You can see that number and think of it as adding onto an already exorbitant pile of cash for players who aren’t playing for this team in 2022, but the Bears aren’t really in a place to be cutting able-bodied offensive linemen on rookie scale deals. Well, assuming he’ll eventually be able-bodied. You know, because we don’t really know yet.

If Jenkins isn’t the new regime’s type of player, that’s fine. To each their own. Ryan Poles didn’t trade up to draft Jenkins. But what good coaching staffs do is make the most out of suboptimal situations. In other words, if this staff was worth its salt, it would work with Jenkins, guide him through this injury issue, build on whatever strengths he has, and then move him for a conditional draft pick if the need to get him off the team is that great.

In the end, I’m just bothered that we’re having this conversation in the first place. Mostly because it wouldn’t be one if the Bears could show the smallest hint of transparency about what’s really going on with Jenkins.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Where's the starting point then? All pro in year 1?

Borom absolutely deserves a shot.

But as I've been saying all along it seems like Poles wants to get rid of everyone from the last regime even it means making the team worse.

Edited by JAF-N72EX

16 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

But as I've been saying all along it seems like Poles wants to get rid of everyone from the last regime even it means making the team worse.

Such a goofy thought, that a new/current regime needs to get rid of the past regimes players....So cliché...

8 minutes ago, dafreak said:

Such a goofy thought, that a new/current regime needs to get rid of the past regimes players....So cliché...

What? If your going to continue disguising yourself as a Bears fan then at least post something that makes sense when talking Bears.

9 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I'm glad to see someone else is finally recognizing this crap and calling it like it is instead of just jerking off Poles.

https://www.bleachernation.com/bears/2022/07/31/whats-going-on-with-the-bears-and-teven-jenkins/

David Kaplan shares some insight that might help bridge the gaps and fill in what’s going on with Jenkins:

There is a bunch of stuff in that nearly 6-minute video from Kaplan that rings plausible to me. For instance, the nugget about a “high level of disconnect” between Jenkins and the Bears’ coaches. This isn’t wholly unfamiliar territory. A new coaching staff not vibing with an old regime’s top pick is nothing new in football. But there is other, more telling nuggets Kaplan offers that set off some alarms.

Kaplan shares that someone close to the Bears called Jenkins “their most talented lineman” (which is nice) but also “wildly immature” (which isn’t). If the immaturity stuff is true, which is a pretty important if in the grand scheme of things, this is problematic and worrisome. And that is without wondering if these issues are what made Jenkins’ draft stock slide out of the first round in 2021 in the first place.

To be clear, I don’t want to be out here acting like Jenkins is some sort of head case. Going to that place would be like jumping ship at the first sign of turbulence. But perhaps there is something at play here beyond the injuries and the fact that the Poles regime didn’t draft him. And thinking through this situation reminds me a bit of the early stage of the Kyle Fuller-Vic Fangio dynamic.

https://www.bleachernation.com/bears/2022/07/29/teven-jenkins-misses-a-second-practice-with-an-injury-but-the-bears-are-not-going-to-tell-us-much-again/

There have been rumblings in some corners of Bears Twitter casting doubt on Jenkins’ future with the team. And in some cases, it is fair to question. After all, we’ve seen Jenkins go from projecting as a starting left tackle all the way down to rolling with the second-string offense at right tackle.

Me? I wouldn’t yet go as far as to think Chicago would already cut ties with Jenkins.

Yes, some of that is rooted in the cash investment tied into Jenkins. Per OverTheCap’s calculations, cutting Jenkins at the end of the summer would lead the Bears to take on a $2,006,329 dead money charge. You can see that number and think of it as adding onto an already exorbitant pile of cash for players who aren’t playing for this team in 2022, but the Bears aren’t really in a place to be cutting able-bodied offensive linemen on rookie scale deals. Well, assuming he’ll eventually be able-bodied. You know, because we don’t really know yet.

If Jenkins isn’t the new regime’s type of player, that’s fine. To each their own. Ryan Poles didn’t trade up to draft Jenkins. But what good coaching staffs do is make the most out of suboptimal situations. In other words, if this staff was worth its salt, it would work with Jenkins, guide him through this injury issue, build on whatever strengths he has, and then move him for a conditional draft pick if the need to get him off the team is that great.

In the end, I’m just bothered that we’re having this conversation in the first place. Mostly because it wouldn’t be one if the Bears could show the smallest hint of transparency about what’s really going on with Jenkins.

The article also makes point that everyone was saying Fuller was done in Chicago when he went on IR and was in Fangio’s doghouse.

A year later he was one of our best players and later got a big extension.

The future for Jenkins is yet unwritten.  But everyone lives in the right now these days and right now he has been demoted and isn’t even practicing for whatever reason.

I will say if your back isn’t right it is has to be super hard to be anywhere close to your best.     I have been bummed ever since we heard he has a bad back.  Give me an ACL over back/spinal surgery any day.  

• Like 1

Never count your chickens before they hatch. People said it all offseason and now they're vindicated.

That said I hope Jenkins becomes a great player. Riley Reiff is almost 34 years-old and coming off a lingering ankle injury. The Bears don't have many options. God forbid they cut a talented OL on a rookie contract.

11 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Consistent and competent OL play is the bar.

I think Jenkins could clear that bar… if he ever completes his 2nd career training camp practice.

• Like 1