Training camp news and discussion

JAF-N72EX

6 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I think a lot of this points to just how bad things were in that building when Poles & Flus took over…we saw the indiscipline on the field towards the end of last season…we have seen everything unfold with Jenkins thinking he should be gifted a starting role…Jaylon Johnson has come out and said they are now being held accountable in a way they weren’t previously…Soup Campbell being fired so quickly after Poles came in IMO is a huge indicator that the players were basically getting away with anything they liked…we heard all the stuff around Nagy not meeting or at times even speaking to guys like Trubisky & Robinson…a lot of wrongs going on there…this franchise was broken at the core and it’s why I held the belief that the team was more talented than the coaching staff were allowing them to show even out with schemes…

Poles has made some mistakes early no doubt…but much like having his hand forced into the Mack trade and having to fix the cap this year for the sins of Pace this is as clear a “clean up year” as there is…we start seeing this in years 2 or 3 then I would be concerned but not right now…I am happy for him to get his feet under the table and get his own beliefs in place…especially considering the capital we have next offseason.

I think his big mistake I fault him for is the big public FA signing and announcement and then him failing physical after FA waves were past.  

He cost that guy millions.  The rest is kind of unfair given circumstances.

I think he could have done FA differently to fix OL and WR before draft as I talked about in offseason.

He is a very young GM. 

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

When a Bobby Knight suddenly becomes your coach not everyone can handle it.  

If I am Jenkins dad or brother or advisor or whatever I tell him this.  It is fixable.

1. Shut up other than just say when you arrive tomorrow with head down,  Sorry coach I am here.  Then after it is all just yes sir, no sir.  

2. Play every rep rest of camp like your job is on line.  Even 3/4 speed reps.  Go 100% even if it annoys teammates.  Destroy everyone every chance you get. Play through echo of whistle.

You have to behave like you are Rudy now trying to make team and not a 2nd round pick.  

52 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

If I am Jenkins dad or brother or advisor or whatever I tell him this.  It is fixable.

1. Shut up other than just say when you arrive tomorrow with head down,  Sorry coach I am here.  Then after it is all just yes sir, no sir.  

2. Play every rep rest of camp like your job is on line.  Even 3/4 speed reps.  Go 100% even if it annoys teammates.  Destroy everyone every chance you get. Play through echo of whistle.

You have to behave like you are Rudy now trying to make team and not a 2nd round pick.  

Easy to say but not everyone has the mental makeup to pull it off.

I'm not a football player and have never been -- I have no idea what it takes to push through that level of physical discomfort and mental stress in order to get to an endpoint. On the other hand, I've been in professional sales for many years, and I KNOW the difference between my professional success and failures has been when I was able to be MENTALLY tough and push through crappy situations despite the noise.

I haven't always gotten that part right, but I know what it looks like when I have. More importantly, I've seen a lot of colleagues and competitors fall by the wayside because they couldn't "get their heads right" when it was called for.

This is the situation Jenkins is in -- and it's a situation that separates the men from the boys. He's either going suck it up and get it together, or Flus and company are going to get rid of him. And if they do, I'll be just fine with that. Better to find out in August during training camp, than in December in Soldier Field on 4th and goal at the 1. 

\rant

Edited by IotaNet
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I think a lot of this points to just how bad things were in that building when Poles & Flus took over…we saw the indiscipline on the field towards the end of last season…we have seen everything unfold with Jenkins thinking he should be gifted a starting role…Jaylon Johnson has come out and said they are now being held accountable in a way they weren’t previously…Soup Campbell being fired so quickly after Poles came in IMO is a huge indicator that the players were basically getting away with anything they liked…we heard all the stuff around Nagy not meeting or at times even speaking to guys like Trubisky & Robinson…a lot of wrongs going on there…this franchise was broken at the core and it’s why I held the belief that the team was more talented than the coaching staff were allowing them to show even out with schemes…

Poles has made some mistakes early no doubt…but much like having his hand forced into the Mack trade and having to fix the cap this year for the sins of Pace this is as clear a “clean up year” as there is…we start seeing this in years 2 or 3 then I would be concerned but not right now…I am happy for him to get his feet under the table and get his own beliefs in place…especially considering the capital we have next offseason.

We heard the same change in culture spiel in 2018 about Nagy too and it only took them one offseason.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, WindyCity said:

The trade up for Jenkins makes this just brutal.

We are flushing a 2nd and 3rd round pick.

We are flushing a Nagy and Pace mistake. Honestly if a player doesn’t have mental integrity or fortitude and the new regime wants to move on from that, so be it. If he truly is a ticking time bomb of injury and character issues, his value might never be higher than now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Now the other side of the Bobby Knight style is you lose talented guys.

Bobby Knight lost Larry Bird to Indiana St. because he was immature coming in and Knight wasn't able to handle him right at Indiana when he got here - so he left.   Knight admits it.   

That turned out to be a big loss obviously. 

2 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

We heard the same change in culture spiel in 2018 about Nagy too and it only took them one offseason.

They got an immediate impact after one season…easy to do…countless examples…the Derek Anderson led Browns always spring to mind…but to impart a proper cultural change which will see long term success is far more difficult.

5 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

It’s interesting how quickly some Bears fans will throw Jenkins under the bus after spending an entire offseason lauding him as a future OL fixture.

We’re only getting the Bears’ side of the story right now and there’s certainly more to be told.

Some Bears fans are very fickle folk with a short memory. A player is great while he's with the Bears and 'one of the best'. But the minute he leaves he's trash and the team is somehow better without him.

1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

So everyone was freaking out for no reason. That's hilarious.

None of this happens if the FO would've actually addressed it instead of leaving the media and fans to speculate about whats going on.

Call me when he is on the practice field.

Rap Sheet and Garafalo rarely miss.

Teven tweeting from witness protection makes me feel like he is trying to control the story a little.

Edited by WindyCity
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

So everyone was freaking out for no reason. That's hilarious.

None of this happens if the FO would've actually addressed it instead of leaving the media and fans to speculate about whats going on.

I'm not about to let it go because Jenkins tweeted everything is fine. I certainly didn't think he would tweet "things blow." I truly think they are shopping him if possible

• Like 2