Training camp news and discussion

JAF-N72EX

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Yeah…where he shows you what he wants people to see…I will guarantee those closed practices are very very different.

That's fine.  Let people film drills in open practices and stop being Aholes about it.

8 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I am super busy today so I don’t have time to expound, but I went to a Nagy training camp practice and that was start of me thinking he was a bad coach. 

This was 2019 too when I spent all offseason arguing online they were going to be really, really good.   

That practice was like a bucket of ice water on my optimism which was sky high.  Highest I have been since 80s.   Nothing to do with players, but the practice itself and the teaching and/or lack thereof.  Tons of red flags.

I was sitting near some HS coaches and they were saying aloud to each other a lot of same things I was thinking as I was watching.  

I convinced myself later I was wrong that day and overreacting that pro practice is just way different, but it turned out to be true.  

I honestly think Nagy handled practices the way he did because he was afraid of doing any more damage to Mitch's confidence (i.e running off/def drills separately). Especially in 2018 and 2019 when Nagy was coddling him.

34 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I honestly think Nagy handled practices the way he did because he was afraid of doing any more damage to Mitch's confidence (i.e running off/def drills separately). Especially in 2018 and 2019 when Nagy was coddling him.

That is such a weird relationship. From coddling to barely speaking to him.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Nagy tried with Trubisky but seemed ready to move on after 2019. I think he realized his job was on the line and Mitch was doing him no favors.

Yup. Nagy tried switching the offense up several times and dumbing down the playbook for Mitch but he just wasn't good enough. You could argue Nagy did himself no favors by doing it this way either. Poor coaching + poor QB play = disaster.

12 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I take it all with salt.

The interesting one for me would be how is Carter looking at RG and is it his play which is stopping Schofield from taking all the reps or is it just conditioning? If Carter can hold him off and start as well as Jones at LT and both can be solid then that alone would be a huge win for this offence and Poles.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

The interesting one for me would be how is Carter looking at RG and is it his play which is stopping Schofield from taking all the reps or is it just conditioning? If Carter can hold him off and start as well as Jones at LT and both can be solid then that alone would be a huge win for this offence and Poles.

I agree. Even if only 1 of 3 drafted OL can become a solid starter at any point in time--whether it's this year or the next-- then that's already a win for Poles IMO.  I mean these guys were all drafted in mid-late rounds.

But if 2 of the 3 OL can become instant starters in year 1 and play solid, then yeah that's a huge win.

• Like 3

I want to see how Jones does in preseason.  

While it is exciting to find rookie starters, not so exciting if they get abused in games and our QB gets hurt.

Solid LTs are so hard to find these days.  If we found two solid starting OTs in 5th rounds of draft in back to back years that would be pretty lucky.  

That would make up for Jenkins ongoing debacle.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

It's like a scorned ex.

This is what I think too. Here is my 100% opinion and head cannon-

He over-coddled Tru and then when failings happened he blamed Tru for not being where Nagy needed him to run "his offense." Mahomes has all-world talent and is as good as it gets off-script, KC had ridiculous talent around him, and Reid and Smith were responsible for his mentorship MUCH more than Nagy. Tru was a talented but super raw prospect in comparison - both in playing time and by being in a super simple scheme to boot. Clearly he was well behind Mahomes and Watson in those pre-draft.

Nagy was told what to do for drills and executed it but didn't fully understand thr 'why' behind them or how to make the corrections. So the unser-skilled coach took on the under-developed talent. Its like a guy who does roofing for a few years and has helped on a few other jobs then tries to take on a massive project like building a whole home. He just was completely over-whelmed. 

Also I think Nagy lacked the balls to really be dynamic at first and thought he could just scheme perfect plays to get the job done. Player talent, execution, misdirection, and just direct force of will of the players was almost irrelevant. He had no situational awareness either. Constantly calling routes short of the sticks, calling routes that got keyed on for negative yards (even in the first game vs GB - Gabriel had like 3 or 4 screens for negative yardage). Then he realized the pressure on him and went to his safety net of curls, outs and drags. He didn't have the shield that Reid offered if and when things went bad and he crumbled. 

Like a classic narcissist its everyone elses fault, and he while I don't think Pace was a top 10 GM i do fully think Nagy sabotaged the team to drag Pace with him last year. From how he let Fields get the hell beat out of him bs CLE on i think there was (for lack of a better word) malicious intent in that failing season. 

• Like 1

Really looking like Jones is our starting LT

Reiff and Borom are now battling for starting RT.

It looks like Mustipher is starting Center until Patrick heals though Kramer is also getting reps w/ first team.

RG is a battle between Carter and Schofield - not sure what happened to Zach Thomas - they appear to only work him at LG which is solidly Whitehair.

I think if Borom and Reiff are anywhere close it goes to Borom since there is long term investment there.

Getsy says O line is still up for grabs and that Jenkins is still in mix when he gets past his stuff.