Training camp news and discussion

JAF-N72EX

33 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Of course they were…he had to create dead money this year to fix the cap situation which gives him over $100 million in cap space next year…short term pain for long term gain.

They already had a huge 2023 cap space number before they traded Mack and cut Foles. Neither of those moves were necessary to "fix" the cap situation.

I feel like we keep seeing a retread of taking defensive players over offensive. One regime after another seems to be making the same decisions. 

Regarding Pace - I think we're just now seeing his blunders compound for the new GM. I think everyone here was cringing with Pace's draft aggression with very little return. This team needs to tank this year and have a knock out draft next year to start building momentum. 

1) Develop Fields as best as possible

2) Tank

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

There was nothing to fix though. We had over 30M in cap to work with before any moves which was about 10th most in the league. Poles used over half of it to create dead cap instead of using to in free agency to help the offense.

EDIT: Excuse me. 25.3M (11th most). We went in with only 16 in dead cap and came out with 57M (24 on one player)

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/lists/every-nfl-team-available-cap-space-before-2022-free-agency/

The Bears are in a good position with the salary cap ahead of free agency, where new general manager Ryan Poles could still make some moves to free up even more cap space.

11 Chicago Bears: $25.3 million

Dead cap: $16.03 million

Key free agent: WR Allen Robinson

Team needs: WR, OL, CB, LB

Effectively what he did was trade Mack for Brisker and future cap flexibility for after he is able to see the current talent on the field in the scheme. Did he have to do so? No, but it’s not like it wasn’t an option that was discussed to great lengths here before it happened either. It’s a short term loss without question unless Brisker is immediately an impact player, and even then it might still be a net negative given Mack’s impact when he’s on the field. Whether or not it turns out to be the best choice long term is obviously TBD.

For what it’s worth, had Poles made the same trade but then used the Brisker pick on Pickens or Moore or an OL instead he’d probably be under considerably less heat right now from the fan base even with the huge dead cap hit it created for 2022. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

For what it’s worth, had Poles made the same trade but then used the Brisker pick on Pickens or Moore or an OL instead he’d probably be under considerably less heat right now from the fan base even with the huge dead cap hit it created for 2022. 

Oh for sure. He could've done that, or even kept Mack (to bolster our pass rush) and use the 24M in dead cap he used to trade him to get a WR and OL, and then still draft Pickens-- or even still get his man Gordon in the draft. Or he could've traded Mack and then went after a WR or OL in FA.

There are alot of different ways he could've done it that would've made people feel alot better about the situation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nads786 said:

I feel like we keep seeing a retread of taking defensive players over offensive. One regime after another seems to be making the same decisions. 

Regarding Pace - I think we're just now seeing his blunders compound for the new GM. I think everyone here was cringing with Pace's draft aggression with very little return. This team needs to tank this year and have a knock out draft next year to start building momentum. 

1) Develop Fields as best as possible

2) Tank

Let's do this. Trade Fields and Roquan for future draft picks. Ride the season out with Siemian. Get a top 3 pick and let Poles/Flus draft their own QB with 80M to spend in free agency.  There wouldn't be any excuses left after that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

There was nothing to fix though. We had over 30M in cap to work with before any moves which was about 10th most in the league. Poles used over half of it to create dead cap instead of using to in free agency to help the offense.

EDIT: Excuse me. 25.3M (11th most). We went in with only 16 in dead cap and came out with 57M (24 on one player)

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/lists/every-nfl-team-available-cap-space-before-2022-free-agency/

The Bears are in a good position with the salary cap ahead of free agency, where new general manager Ryan Poles could still make some moves to free up even more cap space.

11 Chicago Bears: $25.3 million

Dead cap: $16.03 million

Key free agent: WR Allen Robinson

Team needs: WR, OL, CB, LB

Very clearly there was a ton of things to fix which was why we hadn't been competitive for so long...it was clear a full rebuild was needed and having two high price pass rushers over 30 years old while spending next to nothing on offence was not the way to do it...getting A-Rob back was a pipe dream as he just wanted a complete reset and after resigning him we would not have had anything like enough to fill the rest of our holes...a reset year was needed all round and that is what we currently have.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

They already had a huge 2023 cap space number before they traded Mack and cut Foles. Neither of those moves were necessary to "fix" the cap situation.

Yes they were man...again your looking at 2023...I expect Poles to be looking 5 years ahead...this franchise needs sustained improvement and success...not a few flash in the pan years here and there.

33 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Very clearly there was a ton of things to fix which was why we hadn't been competitive for so long...it was clear a full rebuild was needed and having two high price pass rushers over 30 years old while spending next to nothing on offence was not the way to do it...getting A-Rob back was a pipe dream as he just wanted a complete reset and after resigning him we would not have had anything like enough to fill the rest of our holes...a reset year was needed all round and that is what we currently have.

Amazing that some people actually think that a 6-11 team didn't need any fixing.

We would be going no where with that team from last season with a few new additions added on in 2023.

Unless some people would just like for the team to be in a constant state of mediocrity?

• Like 2

So interesting that Jones has dominated the snaps at LT so much in the first two padded practices...everything seems to be pointing to him being the starter there...no doubt he has the athletic upside and if he can continue to pick up the playbook he could be a real plus for his this season.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

So interesting that Jones has dominated the snaps at LT so much in the first two padded practices...everything seems to be pointing to him being the starter there...no doubt he has the athletic upside and if he can continue to pick up the playbook he could be a real plus for his this season.

If he did find a viable LT in the 5th I will be legit impressed.  I'll also feel really stupid for bashing him after draft.

• Like 2