Jacoby Brissett

SilverNBlackFan

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Well, if they couldn't get anything better, I agree that I'd have held onto him. He was a former third round pick who didn't look completely lost as a rookie starter.

He didnt look lost, but I dont know how much teams were going to trust that coming from New England, seeing as how Belichick once made Matt Cassell look like a decent starting QB.

IMO,  there wasnt enough there to really raise Brisset's value, and again, I dont think alot of teams viewed Brissett as a 3rd round talent coming out.

And the Pats got a former first round pick, 24 year old WR who put up over 500 yards the year before for a 3rd string QB who looked okay managing 2 games under Belichick.     Not exactly bad value,...although I wouldve kept Brissett because 1) it was clear JG was going to be gone within 2 years and 2) WRs on New England are quite interchangeable....they couldve traded a 7th for a lesser WR and likely got similar production on top of keeping Brissett....who apparently Tom Brady really liked.

Just now, FourThreeMafia said:

He didnt look lost, but I dont know how much teams were going to trust that coming from New England, seeing as how Belichick once made Matt Cassell look like a decent starting QB.

IMO,  there wasnt enough there to really raise Brisset's value, and again, I dont think alot of teams viewed Brissett as a 3rd round talent coming out.

And the Pats got a former first round pick, 24 year old WR who put up over 500 yards the year before for a 3rd string QB who looked okay managing 2 games under Belichick.     Not exactly bad value,...although I wouldve kept Brissett because 1) it was clear JG was going to be gone within 2 years and 2) WRs on New England are quite interchangeable....they couldve traded a 7th for a lesser WR and likely got similar production on top of keeping Brissett....who apparently Tom Brady really liked.

I think you're inflating the worth of Dorsett. Matt Cassel was still a high-end backup. Even if they didn't see him as a 3rd round pick, I'm sure they saw him as worth more than a throwaway like Dorsett.

Just now, jrry32 said:

I think you're inflating the worth of Dorsett. Matt Cassel was still a high-end backup. Even if they didn't see him as a 3rd round pick, I'm sure they saw him as worth more than a throwaway like Dorsett.

And I think youre inflating the worth of Brissett at the time he was traded.   That tends to happen with QBs way too often.   They have one good outing and some act like they are worth more than they are.

Dorsett isnt that good, but he is still young and has upside.   Do I think Brissett was more valuable?  Yes, but the point is, I seriously doubt any team was going to give up a 3rd round pick or higher for Brissett at the time he was traded, and while Dorsett may be a "throwaway". he has already done more than the vast majority of day 3 picks ever do. 

Just now, FourThreeMafia said:

And I think youre inflating the worth of Brissett at the time he was traded.   That tends to happen with QBs way too often.   They have one good outing and some act like they are worth more than they are.

Dorsett isnt that good, but he is still young and has upside.   Do I think Brissett was more valuable?  Yes, but the point is, I seriously doubt any team was going to give up a 3rd round pick or higher for Brissett at the time he was traded, and while Dorsett may be a "throwaway". he has already done more than the vast majority of day 3 picks ever do. 

By some, I think you mean NFL teams.

Nobody is saying they should have gotten a third round pick for Brissett. Problem is that Dorsett is the type of guy who fetches a 7th round pick or a pick swap. Brissett should have been worth more than that.

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

By some, I think you mean NFL teams.

Nobody is saying they should have gotten a third round pick for Brissett. Problem is that Dorsett is the type of guy who fetches a 7th round pick or a pick swap. Brissett should have been worth more than that.

No....I am speaking of fans as well.   A good game here and there and fans talk about how they could get a high pick for them, if traded.   We could discuss other former New England backup QBs in that topic, but I wont get into that.

Dorsett was a 1st round pick in 2015 and wasnt terrible in 2016.    I dont think he will ever come close to living up to his draft billing, but I do think it was adequate value.     I actually agree that Brissett was more valuable in general, but again, I dont think they wouldve gotten more than maybe a 5th round pick for him at the time, so it wouldve just been smarter to keep him, all things considered.   

I'm fine with trading Dorsett for him, but I definitely wish Dorsett would contribute more to really seal the deal, as it were. Willing to relinquish our (at the time) 3rd string backup QB for a productive and dangerous WR - but Dorsett isn't proving thus, so far.

Brisett's ceiling, IMO, is a backup. Which is exactly how Indie will use him when at full strength.

Brissett was at risk of not making the roster, so the fact that NE was able to get something in return for him was a win. He's a decent quarterback with talent just at the cusp of being a potential starter, but should nonetheless be a solid backup.

Concerning the trade and Dorsett's limited production thus far, New England's E&P is a very demanding scheme, especially in comparison to Indianapolis' concepts. Him coming in just days before the season kicked off compounds that difficulty in not being able to reap the benefits of working with the Patriots during OTA's, training camp, and preseason.

6 minutes ago, One Punch Man said:

If the Colts had an above average offensive line play, and decided to feature Mack, I could see Brissett leading this team to a wildcard spot.

With a bottom-5 defense? Not likely. But they'd be more competitive for sure.

Archived