Who's Packers End Will Come First - Love or Rodgers?

Mr Anonymous

Who's Packers End Will Come First - Love or Rodgers?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB will cease being a Green Bay Packer first?

• Aaron Rodgers
    • Jordan Love

40 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I don't much care about his contract.  Giving him a backup contract with escalators for playing time is a fine strategy.  The only question I would have about that strategy is if Love would go for it.

Packers have Love under cost-reasonable backup-contract for this year and next.  He'll still be not even $4M cap hit.  

There are three scenarios for love to outlast Rodgers with Green Bay:

1. Aaron retires after this year. 
  2. Aaron retires after next year.  
  3. Aaron comes back for year 3 (and perhaps more), but Love signs a multi-year backup contract with escalators for playing time. 

As you say, Vegas, it's unclear how mutually attractive that 3rd option would be?    

I voted that Rodgers would likely outlast Love, because I'm not sure Rodgers will choose to retire in either one or two years, and i'm not sure scenario 3 is probable.  But all three of the above scenarios are entirely plausible and very, very much possible.  Discussion could continue for some time!

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Agree, 5'th year is not an option at this point and time.

If teams like the above are still bad at QB and not winning games, then they simply draft their next QB and get him on a rookie deal.  Neither of those teams, and dare I say any other team is saying this...."We are Jordan Love away from being really good."

And that is the issue.  He's got more value here than anywhere else.  He's be wise to say, but I couldn't blame him if he got a little impatient and wanted more opportunity after this year.

Not saying you're wrong, but there are precidents. Right now Atlanta is paying Marcus Mariota an average annual value of just under 10m a year to start for them.

If a team has a ton of cap space, a non-top-ten pick, and a dire need at QB, then a 25 year old former first rounder who spent significant time with a high quality coaching staff and who's never had a chance to prove himself might be an attractive candidate for a 2 year, $20m deal.  If Rodgers is still playing at that point then we won't be able to match the dollars or the offer of playing time.

Remember this grading scale going forward.

The first pick was entirely on the receiver.   The 2nd pick was 50/50.  Poorly placed ball that the receiver still needs to keep control of.   The 3rd pick was a bad decision followed by an inaccurate throw.

Love showed improvement with confidence and decision making overall.  he still has not shown the ability to be accurate with his passes consistently.   He's good enough to be on the roster, but not good enough to win playoff games at this point.

15 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Not saying you're wrong, but there are precidents. Right now Atlanta is paying Marcus Mariota an average annual value of just under 10m a year to start for them.

If a team has a ton of cap space, a non-top-ten pick, and a dire need at QB, then a 25 year old former first rounder who spent significant time with a high quality coaching staff and who's never had a chance to prove himself might be an attractive candidate for a 2 year, $20m deal.  If Rodgers is still playing at that point then we won't be able to match the dollars or the offer of playing time.

That kind of thing might be something that gets a GM/HC fired.  Love is so unproven.

Mariotta has at least started games and has experience.

But I get what you are saying.  Lots of "ifs".

And I'd say for the scenario above...trade next year's first and move up to the top ten for your QB if that how dire your need is for one.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

The first pick was entirely on the receiver.   The 2nd pick was 50/50.  Poorly placed ball that the receiver still needs to keep control of.   The 3rd pick was a bad decision followed by an inaccurate throw.

Love showed improvement with confidence and decision making overall.  he still has not shown the ability to be accurate with his passes consistently.   He's good enough to be on the roster, but not good enough to win playoff games at this point.

How many playoff games did Rodgers win last year?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

I think MLF said the 3rd was a combination of 2 receivers running the wrong route and Love went the only place he could.  Love could have eaten it.  I'm not exactly sure what MLF was saying, but it felt like he taking some of the blame off Love. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

How many playoff games did Rodgers win last year?

Is that the hill you want to die on?  Do you honestly think Love is in the same stratosphere of QB play?

Just think it's funny that some of the same people that repetitively criticize Rodgers for every throw that is not perfect, or questionable decision making, are the same people making excuses for Love.   

As I said earlier Love looked better in many phases of his game.   He still is really inaccurate with his passes.    Do you think Love completes the pass to Baylor for 68 yards that Etling completed?  Beautiful touch pass over the LB that was right on the money.   I doubt it. 

Love completed a very nice pass to Doubs for the first TD.  The second TD to Davis was an off target (not horribly) back shoulder throw too far inside that Davis made a really nice play on.   The jury is still out on Love as he is still improving, but starting to look like we are developing him for another team and that we will never get much out of that 1st round pick.

• Like 1

Voted for Love.

I suspect Rodgers is going to be like Brady. On the fence about retirement for awhile. But all indications are it will be under GB control for those years and that he will be welcome back.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was his last season. Similarly, I wouldn't be surprised if he plays 5 or more seasons.

2 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

Is that the hill you want to die on?  Do you honestly think Love is in the same stratosphere of QB play?

Just think it's funny that some of the same people that repetitively criticize Rodgers for every throw that is not perfect, or questionable decision making, are the same people making excuses for Love.   

As I said earlier Love looked better in many phases of his game.   He still is really inaccurate with his passes.    Do you think Love completes the pass to Baylor for 68 yards that Etling completed?  Beautiful touch pass over the LB that was right on the money.   I doubt it. 

Love completed a very nice pass to Doubs for the first TD.  The second TD to Davis was an off target (not horribly) back shoulder throw too far inside that Davis made a really nice play on.   The jury is still out on Love as he is still improving, but starting to look like we are developing him for another team and that we will never get much out of that 1st round pick.

Care to answer the question?

But I'll answer yours....  No.  He is not in the same stratosphere as regular season Rodgers.

Post season Rodgers?  I do not know.  The last time I saw Rodgers play, he was poor.  Not average.  Not good.  Poor.

Does Love complete the ball to Baylor?  I'll bet you $100 Schrutte bucks, or $500 Stanley Nickels that he's completed that pass to that receiver in practice.

You can "doubt it" all you want, but that fact is, that is normal football route.  Love has thrown it hundreds if not thousands of times.

Just now, vegas492 said:

Care to answer the question?

But I'll answer yours....  No.  He is not in the same stratosphere as regular season Rodgers.

Post season Rodgers?  I do not know.  The last time I saw Rodgers play, he was poor.  Not average.  Not good.  Poor.

Does Love complete the ball to Baylor?  I'll bet you $100 Schrutte bucks, or $500 Stanley Nickels that he's completed that pass to that receiver in practice.

You can "doubt it" all you want, but that fact is, that is normal football route.  Love has thrown it hundreds if not thousands of times.

Quite frankly I didn't answer your question because it didn't deserve to be answered.   It was a simple shot taken. 

I'll grant you that if Love has thrown that pass hundreds to thousands of times he has completed it a couple of times.  But certainly not a high percentage of the time.

The problem in the playoffs was much more an issue of OL play than QB play.    We would have lost by a bunch with Love turning the ball over against the kind of pressure SF applied.    Remember that grading scale again if Rodgers gets hurt.   The only way Love gets to play in a playoff game is if the injury that takes Rodgers out of the lineup is late enough in the season that the Packers still qualify for the playoffs.

What evidence is there that Love is anything more than a career backup QB?   He is inaccurate.   Has been inaccurate with his passes in every appearance he has made.   

I just can't understand supposed Packer fans rooting for rodgers to be gone.   He may not be a guy I want to be friends with, but we are lucky to have him as the QB of our football team.    There is a group here who blames him for everything that goes wrong including the last 2 playoff losses while ignoring the performance of the rest of the team.  These same people watch Love mess the bed and type posts about how promising he is.   

56 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

Tangent note:  I'm totally fine with exonerating Love for the Davis and Daubs interceptions. But then you should maybe also factor in that the Winfree ball should have been an interception; pure luck for Love that he didn't get one there.  So, I guess he could have had four, could have had only one, but deserved to have two.  

The Doubs one was still a lousy play by Love; shouldn't have been an interception, but he should still be faulted for a lousy, tardy, mis-timed and mis-placed throw.  

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

That kind of thing might be something that gets a GM/HC fired.  Love is so unproven.

Mariotta has at least started games and has experience.

But I get what you are saying.  Lots of "ifs".

And I'd say for the scenario above...trade next year's first and move up to the top ten for your QB if that how dire your need is for one.

Vegas, I don't imagine a GM is likely to go all-in and bank-his-career on Love.  But, there are teams that don't have an answer, so they take a moderate-cost shot.  Mariotta is an example.  Pittsburgh gave Trubisky a $14/2 deal.  A couple years back, Indy gave Jacoby Brissett a shot.  So, seems to me that GM's who have really nothing at QB might have some interest in a low-cost take-a-shot compete-for-the-job opportunity with Love.  Matt Flynn got a pretty solid take-a-shot offer, and obviously lost the job to Russell Wilson.  Maybe Love could get some opportunity like Flynn or Brissett, maybe he'd lose the job in camp to some other who-knows guy like Flynn did.  But not every team has good options, and sometimes a take-a-shot flyer is better than nothing.  

1 hour ago, hitnhope said:

A ball that hit the receiver in the hands and was secured was 50/50? It's Doubs. He needs to finish the catch. That's part of being an NFL receiver. 

Aaron ******* Rodgers isn't good enough to win playoff games recently. Love will be just fine with game reps. 

• Like 1