GDT: Pre-Season Week 2- Minnesota Vikings

GW21

lol how did he not get the first there? Those are the margins where you lose roster spots. 

Also, if Purdy can just be Nick Mullens without the turnovers, he's going to be a solid backup QB you can work with schematically. 

That was a nice run by Mason. He earned that first himself. 

• Like 2

QUARTERBACK

Veteran Nate Sudfeld made one big-time throw and one turnover-worthy play across his 18 dropbacks.

Rookie Brock Purdy‘s stat line suffered from four drops by his receivers, but his adjusted completion rate (85.7%) tells the larger story: He performed well overall.

RUNNING BACK

Tyrion Davis-Price handled the majority of work out of San Francisco’s backfield. On 10 carries, he tallied 41 yards — 31 of which came after contact.

Trey Sermon was held in check before his night concluded, taking his five carries for a measly eight yards. He averaged just .6 yards before contact.

RECEIVERS

Drops plagued the 49ers on the day, with the receivers accounting for three of the team's five. Jauan Jennings and Danny Gray were among the culprits.

Among the positives was the tight end group, which combined for 11 catches on 12 targets for 110 yards, eight first downs and three explosive plays (15-plus yards).

OFFENSIVE LINE

Fourth-round rookie Spencer Burford played the entire first half and stayed clean in pass protection across 23 such snaps.

Justin Skule is set to pace the team in run-blocking grade after performing well on 20 such snaps.

DEFENSIVE LINE

It was a standout effort from rookie second-rounder Drake Jackson, who tallied three pressures and beat his blocker another two times as a pass-rusher.

LINEBACKER

Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles led the way with two run stops and just one yard allowed in coverage.

• The Vikings targeted Oren Burks five times for five receptions, 39 yards and two first downs on the night.

SECONDARY

Deommodore Lenoir was the only 49ers defensive back to force an incompletion. He ended up allowing three catches on five targets for 27 yards.

While Tariq Castro-Fields surrendered five catches on five targets, they went for only a combined 27 yards.

• Like 1

I didn’t get a chance to watch the entire game, but based on highlights, box stats, I think Hudson needs to make this team as #3TE. 

he has had a few screw ups, but seems like he could be a game changer especially if anything happens to kittle

Edited by P_locniners

1 hour ago, P_locniners said:

I didn’t get a chance to watch the entire game, but based on highlights, box stats, I think Hudson needs to make this team as #3TE. 

he has had a few screw ups, but seems like he could be a game changer especially if anything happens to kittle

Hudson was the guy I wanted to really show out to make the squad. Great hands (usually), though definitely more of a move. Couple of big mistakes tonight, but he does consistently get open, which is a good sign

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Forge said:

Also, if Purdy can just be Nick Mullens without the turnovers, he's going to be a solid backup QB you can work with schematically. 

Honestly give me those types of guys on rookie deals as back-up anyday. Top end back-up pay is so high you can get an actual good starter for most spots for the same money. And if your top QB goes down do you really want Jacoby Brissett or Tyrod Taylor stepping in. Give me a young guy on a late round rookie deal and see if he has something. Obviously he has his shortcomings from a physical standpoint but you can work with that. 

watching Drake Jackson makes me feel a way. he lost his footing a couple time but he shows all the traits you want, also gets his hands up a lot. Trying to temper expectations, but literally all of our rookies have flashed this preseason, excepts for the tackle and castro fields.

• Like 2

I think the 49ers are the biggest wildcard this year, as in it could be a down year and SF takes a small step back, or your team excels and finds themselves back in the Superbowl. 

I really love how tough and physical the niners are. They can go up and beat anyone else in the league. Its fun to watch.

Good luck this season (and thanks for beating GB in the playoffs last year!!)

• Like 6

Looks to me like Purdy’s the better back up. I like his mobility and he’s decisive with the ball. Seems like he’s got some balls and doesn’t need a receiver to be wide open to get it to him. 

Sermon should not be on the roster. Shame with where he’s picked, but cut your losses and get rid of him. 

TDP runs hard but looks a little frantic to me. Like he’s running for his life rather than with purpose.