GDT: Pre-Season Week 2- Minnesota Vikings

GW21

46 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

- Im not overly impressed by either option at backup QB. Purdy looks like a reliable option, but not one you want to start multiple games for you.

I'm not overly enthused, but they definitely seem fine enough. If Purdy is Mullens without the turnovers, with that contract for 4 years, that's great. That works for me. 

- TDP is nice. I like his style of running, but would like to see him get more at times. Sermon looks like he has no idea hat he is doing. Hasty will make this team because Kyle loves him and he takes advantage of his opportunities.

I'm not all in on TDP yet, but I do like the way he runs. There is certainly some residual grumble about what we passed up to get him, I'll admit. But I also think our run blocking is not great right now. The backs are not getting a lot of room before contact. 

I'm curious what the running back room looks like. A lot will depend on what is going on in practice that we don't really have a great view on. Based on what I have seen though, I Don't know what the justification is for keeping Sermon at all. I think it's safe to assume that Mitchell, Wilson and TDP are pretty much locks. That leaves 3 guys for the last spot. I certainly see no reason to keep Sermon over Hasty. It's almost unfair to compare Sermon and Mason given when they are playing in preseason games, so that is has to be determined mostly through practice, I would assume. 

- Say it with me, "Jason Poe, Jason Poe, Jason Poe....", the staff loved him out of rookie camp and he is showing why. His ability to get to the second level is unique, he doesn't get moved back in pass pro. He needs to learn to snap and make coverage adjustments and he is the starting C no question. 

He needs time against better competition for me to believe he's anything more than depth, but I Think he's earned his roster spot. Assuming we carry 8, I would imagine its' McG, Banks, Burford, Brunskill, Brendel, Trent, Poe and McKivitz. That would mean Moore hits the cutting room floor, which wouldn't be a shock given that he seems like he's stuck in Shanny's dog house anyway. 

- Burford and Banks looked fine. Im not excited about the O line at all this year.

There will definitely be some ups and downs this year. Burford showed much better in game 2, but he's allowed 6 pressures and 6 hurries in 40 passing snaps. He's given up more of each than Justin Skule. I'm really concerned about the line as well. 

I liked that Banks missed the stunt the first time and then caught it the second time in that game against the Vikings. 

- Drake Jackson will get better and better. He is a real good athlete. 

I'm kind of psyched about him, to be honest. May take a year or two, but I think he's going to be a pretty good player.

- Kinlaw showed a little pass rush prowess. He still gets stone walled too much though.

I didn't pay the strictest attention to Kinlaw in this game, but this is something i am hearing quite often. Despite how impressive the sack looked, Kinlaw was just far too often a non factor in pushing the pocket on a lot of his other reps. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I'm not overly enthused, but they definitely seem fine enough. If Purdy is Mullens without the turnovers, with that contract for 4 years, that's great. That works for me. 

I'm not all in on TDP yet, but I do like the way he runs. There is certainly some residual grumble about what we passed up to get him, I'll admit. But I also think our run blocking is not great right now. The backs are not getting a lot of room before contact. 

I'm curious what the running back room looks like. A lot will depend on what is going on in practice that we don't really have a great view on. Based on what I have seen though, I Don't know what the justification is for keeping Sermon at all. I think it's safe to assume that Mitchell, Wilson and TDP are pretty much locks. That leaves 3 guys for the last spot. I certainly see no reason to keep Sermon over Hasty. It's almost unfair to compare Sermon and Mason given when they are playing in preseason games, so that is has to be determined mostly through practice, I would assume. 

He needs time against better competition for me to believe he's anything more than depth, but I Think he's earned his roster spot. Assuming we carry 8, I would imagine its' McG, Banks, Burford, Brunskill, Brendel, Trent, Poe and McKivitz. That would mean Moore hits the cutting room floor, which wouldn't be a shock given that he seems like he's stuck in Shanny's dog house anyway. 

There will definitely be some ups and downs this year. Burford showed much better in game 2, but he's allowed 6 pressures and 6 hurries in 40 passing snaps. He's given up more of each than Justin Skule. I'm really concerned about the line as well. 

I liked that Banks missed the stunt the first time and then caught it the second time in that game against the Vikings. 

I'm kind of psyched about him, to be honest. May take a year or two, but I think he's going to be a pretty good player.

I didn't pay the strictest attention to Kinlaw in this game, but this is something i am hearing quite often. Despite how impressive the sack looked, Kinlaw was just far too often a non factor in pushing the pocket on a lot of his other reps. 

I think they keep 5 at RB. I see it as Mitchell, TDP, Wilson, Hasty, Mason. I cant them sneaking Mason through waivers. I do think Sermon stays on the team and that they wont cut him. They will trade him because this front office hates admitting they were wrong without getting something of value back. What scares me is that they can't trade him and then they lose Mason trying to P Squad him.

IMO, Jason Poe is better than Banks already. He is more athletic, he anchors better, he has shown the ability to get to the second level better. He is another guy that I feel like has done too much to pass through waivers without losing out on him. I don't need to see him against a higher level of competition at this point. HE consistently wins his 1 on 1's per reports in camp as well. He gets to blocks a lot of guards cant get to.

11 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

I think they keep 5 at RB. I see it as Mitchell, TDP, Wilson, Hasty, Mason. I cant them sneaking Mason through waivers. I do think Sermon stays on the team and that they wont cut him. They will trade him because this front office hates admitting they were wrong without getting something of value back. What scares me is that they can't trade him and then they lose Mason trying to P Squad him.

You're forgetting Juice. They aren't going to keep 6 total RBs while also keeping 3 Qbs and 6 receivers and 10 defensive linemen which has been the typical. Running backs at the back of the depth chart are a dime a dozen. That spot is more valuable for other positions. I am wondering if they will PUP someone though. 

13 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

IMO, Jason Poe is better than Banks already. He is more athletic, he anchors better, he has shown the ability to get to the second level better. He is another guy that I feel like has done too much to pass through waivers without losing out on him. I don't need to see him against a higher level of competition at this point. HE consistently wins his 1 on 1's per reports in camp as well. He gets to blocks a lot of guards cant get to.

I think if he were showing out as much as people make it seem like he is, he'd already be pushing banks. I don't know if we are there yet. But man...he's so much fun to watch move. Its absurd lol 

We should give him reps at fullback too. Not even joking. 

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

You're forgetting Juice. They aren't going to keep 6 total RBs while also keeping 3 Qbs and 6 receivers and 10 defensive linemen which has been the typical. Running backs at the back of the depth chart are a dime a dozen. That spot is more valuable for other positions. I am wondering if they will PUP someone though. 

I think if he were showing out as much as people make it seem like he is, he'd already be pushing banks. I don't know if we are there yet. But man...he's so much fun to watch move. Its absurd lol 

I included Juice in my thinking at RB. It's very possible to keep 5 plus a FB and still have the others filled the same. You give up a spot at LB and only keep 4. As for Poe, he is a project. The team knows this and they are obviously believers in Banks. When you consider all the scrutiny around Banks they have to give him his shot. It doesn't change that he is better than Banks IMO. I just don't think the team is in a hurry with him.

2 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

I included Juice in my thinking at RB. It's very possible to keep 5 plus a FB and still have the others filled the same. You give up a spot at LB and only keep 4. As for Poe, he is a project. The team knows this and they are obviously believers in Banks. When you consider all the scrutiny around Banks they have to give him his shot. It doesn't change that he is better than Banks IMO. I just don't think the team is in a hurry with him.

It's possible...but does not appear to be the way Shanny likes to structure the 53. The team has never carried more than 5 (with Juice) and have actually gone the other way (carrying only 4 total) more than they have carried 6. They have never carried fewer than 5 linebackers on the roster, and in multiple years they have carried 6.  Ultimately, we will see but history wouldn't support it. And it's not like we haven't been in the position before. We cut Wilson in both 18 and 19, Hasty in 20 (and there was a lot of hype coming out of his camp). Kyle seems unconcerned with the prospect of losing a running back after camp, tbh. 

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Poe was taking snaps at FB at some team meetings leading up to the draft, so I wouldn’t put it past Kyle. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I missed this game live, so I went back and watched it on NFL+ yesterday. I nearly fell asleep. I can't remember a more boring game that this one. I only made it the 49ers TD then turned it off. 

With that said, Brock Purdy is going to be hard to stash on the PS.

I think he's gone if we try. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John232 said:

idk if this has been brought up, but could they try to stash Sermon on PS?

i know Hasty fills a niche, he just doesn’t move the needle at all for me. Our committee can cover his loss imo. 

They can try, but on a third round pick contract, I don't know why a team like Atlanta wouldn't put in a claim. The roster spot isn't that big of a deal for them, I would imagine

41 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I think he's gone if we try. 

Honestly, I'd rather keep him over Sudfeld if it's gonna be two. I don't think the team would do that, but Purdy is kind of exactly what I was asking for in a backup this offseason. He can do a bit of everything, including carrying the ball a bit if you need him too, but his physical limitations always keep him as a backup. I slotted Colt McCoy for the role, but Purdy is roughly the same kind of guy. You'd like a little veteran nous in the room, but it isn't like Nate Sudfeld is gonna be able to relate and help either. 

• Like 2

Just now, JIllg said:

Honestly, I'd rather keep him over Sudfeld if it's gonna be two. I don't think the team would do that, but Purdy is kind of exactly what I was asking for in a backup this offseason. He can do a bit of everything, including carrying the ball a bit if you need him too, but his physical limitations always keep him as a backup. I slotted Colt McCoy for the role, but Purdy is roughly the same kind of guy. You'd like a little veteran nous in the room, but it isn't like Nate Sudfeld is gonna be able to relate and help either. 

I compared him to Minshew during the draft season. I think that's a fairly apt comparison. I'd love to keep Purdy around for the duration of his rookie contract at least. 

1 hour ago, John232 said:

idk if this has been brought up, but could they try to stash Sermon on PS?

i know Hasty fills a niche, he just doesn’t move the needle at all for me. Our committee can cover his loss imo. 

There are likely regimes out there that liked Sermon going into the draft. They would absolutely gobble him up if they waive him. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, StevenK said:

Poe was taking snaps at FB at some team meetings leading up to the draft, so I wouldn’t put it past Kyle. 

I was watching Cohn last night and he made mention that they aren't allowed to report on the certain "things" when it comes to who was playing with who, but he said that Poe is getting some run essentially. Making it sound as if he is getting looks with the first team O line. He said he thinks he will take Banks' spot by mid year. I think Poe is considerably better than Banks, especially in this style of offense. I want this to happen, but I don't know if I believe that the Niners will do it because they seem dug in a bit on Banks.