GDT: Pre-Season Week 2- Minnesota Vikings

GW21

13 hours ago, adamq said:

Looks like a majority of the starters will play next week.

Any time we play the Texans, it reminds me of the "Reggie bush bowl" & how far we have come (and how Houston has barely been relevant) since then

Lol, that takes a guy back. The game was well before that draft but that was one of the more drama filled draft. I was totally in the Mario Williams camp that draft.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2022 at 7:34 AM, Justone2 said:

Honestly give me those types of guys on rookie deals as back-up anyday. Top end back-up pay is so high you can get an actual good starter for most spots for the same money. And if your top QB goes down do you really want Jacoby Brissett or Tyrod Taylor stepping in. Give me a young guy on a late round rookie deal and see if he has something. Obviously he has his shortcomings from a physical standpoint but you can work with that. 

Ideally, you want your back up to never have to play, so he can't even justify top back up money, and you can keep him a bit longer. You just have to neg him into believing he's not good enough to go play for another team. You gotta keep his self esteem right on the line. Good enough for us, not good enough for others.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, John232 said:

watching Drake Jackson makes me feel a way. he lost his footing a couple time but he shows all the traits you want, also gets his hands up a lot. Trying to temper expectations, but literally all of our rookies have flashed this preseason, excepts for the tackle and castro fields.

Jackson was so so so good on Saturday. Just making play after play and wrecking havoc. His bend is obviously great but his motor is his best asset at the moment. He plays hard on every down. Definitely will be a day one contributor. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, adamq said:

Looks like a majority of the starters will play next week.

Any time we play the Texans, it reminds me of the "Reggie bush bowl" & how far we have come (and how Houston has barely been relevant) since then

That presidential backfield of Bush and Gore was a big time talking point back in those days. I know I was excited about that prospect. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

By the way, is Nick Mullens any good? lol

He knows the system inside and out and will aggressively attempt to execute the playbook with every inch and ounce of muscle he possesses. Unfortunately, those aren’t many inches or pounds. So he ends up as an exaggerated version of Jimmy G. Absolutely no athleticism or arm strength. Tons of turnovers. Tons of sacks. But will move the ball really well in between those turnovers and sacks. At one point he was second to Patrick Mahomes in yards for his first 16 starts. He’ll get some yards throwing the ball. It makes for a useful backup. After all, the only way you can succeed while being 5’11” and having that much of a noodle is to know your job inside and out. And he can high roll a couple of games without turnovers if he has to start for a bit. But expecting more than that is too much. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, JIllg said:

He knows the system inside and out and will aggressively attempt to execute the playbook with every inch and ounce of muscle he possesses. Unfortunately, those aren’t many inches or pounds. So he ends up as an exaggerated version of Jimmy G. Absolutely no athleticism or arm strength. Tons of turnovers. Tons of sacks. But will move the ball really well in between those turnovers and sacks. At one point he was second to Patrick Mahomes in yards for his first 16 starts. He’ll get some yards throwing the ball. It makes for a useful backup. After all, the only way you can succeed while being 5’11” and having that much of a noodle is to know your job inside and out. And he can high roll a couple of games without turnovers if he has to start for a bit. But expecting more than that is too much. 

That's better than future USFL allstar Kellen Mond or future Head Coach Sean Mannion. Thanks!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

By the way, is Nick Mullens any good? lol

He's just a turnover machine. When he's not doing that, he's a very good backup QB and can win a game here and there. When he's doing that, you're going to lose a lot of games you shouldn't. 

• Like 2

Remember Chris Simms ranking Mond over Lance and Fields? 

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nfl/news/chris-simms-kellen-mond-justin-fields-trey-lance-2021-nfl-draft/a331peu7nvnq10vizr6arh34z#:~:text=But to further complicate the,106.7 The Fan in Washington.

But to further complicate the rankings, Simms had Texas A&M QB Kellen Mond at No. 4, ahead of both Fields and North Dakota State's Trey Lance, behind Wilson, Lawrence and Mac Jones.

Simms explained more of why he liked Mond over Fields and Lance on a recent radio spot with 106.7 The Fan in Washington.

"To me, some of the issues he has, which is really, 'OK, he doesn't play enough backyard football and maybe he wasn't aggressive enough two years ago with some of his decision-making,'" Simms said. "Those are easy fixes as compared to some of the issues that I look at with Justin Fields and Trey Lance."

Obviously these guy's careers are far from over, but the fact that Simms was so matter-of-fact about his ratings that year and so self absorbed makes this all that much better.  

• Like 1

On 8/21/2022 at 4:34 AM, Justone2 said:

Honestly give me those types of guys on rookie deals as back-up anyday. Top end back-up pay is so high you can get an actual good starter for most spots for the same money. And if your top QB goes down do you really want Jacoby Brissett or Tyrod Taylor stepping in. Give me a young guy on a late round rookie deal and see if he has something. Obviously he has his shortcomings from a physical standpoint but you can work with that. 

My preference would be situational. If Jimmy is my starter, I want the backup who is probably good enough to be a bridge starter somewhere in the 28-32 range in the league but isn't for whatever reason (Teddy B, Minshew, Tyrod in his prime) or a guy that is just a real high level backup but not quite good enough to be that starter (Colt McCoy?) . The problem is, there aren't many of those guys. But if Jimmy were my starter, I'd pay out the wazoo to make sure that I land one. 

After that, I don't hate the way we have it set up now. Give me a guy who you hope is maybe a good back up, and a guy you're developing. In a perfect world, you simply don't have to see them play. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

My preference would be situational. If Jimmy is my starter, I want the backup who is probably good enough to be a bridge starter somewhere in the 28-32 range in the league but isn't for whatever reason (Teddy B, Minshew, Tyrod in his prime) or a guy that is just a real high level backup but not quite good enough to be that starter (Colt McCoy?) . The problem is, there aren't many of those guys. But if Jimmy were my starter, I'd pay out the wazoo to make sure that I land one. 

After that, I don't hate the way we have it set up now. Give me a guy who you hope is maybe a good back up, and a guy you're developing. In a perfect world, you simply don't have to see them play. 

And if the backup to a non-Jimmy is playing, it is hopefully as a spot starter for a game or two or for a giant chunk of the season as a tank commander after a season ending injury. Both of those I’m fine with Sudfeld or Purdy (though we don’t have the first round pick this particular year, the tank commanding point is relevant in every other situation). With Jimmy, you can and should expect like 4  games every season that needs to be weathered, probably with an ankle or a shoulder injury in addition to the weird season ending injuries that can happen to anyone. And like Forge said, for 4 and 5 game chunks you need something that is better in order to stay afloat.

• Like 1

Observations from the game:

- Im not overly impressed by either option at backup QB. Purdy looks like a reliable option, but not one you want to start multiple games for you.

- TDP is nice. I like his style of running, but would like to see him get more at times. Sermon looks like he has no idea hat he is doing. Hasty will make this team because Kyle loves him and he takes advantage of his opportunities.

- Say it with me, "Jason Poe, Jason Poe, Jason Poe....", the staff loved him out of rookie camp and he is showing why. His ability to get to the second level is unique, he doesn't get moved back in pass pro. He needs to learn to snap and make coverage adjustments and he is the starting C no question. 

- Burford and Banks looked fine. Im not excited about the O line at all this year.

- Drake Jackson will get better and better. He is a real good athlete. 

- Kinlaw showed a little pass rush prowess. He still gets stone walled too much though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GW21 said:

Remember Chris Simms ranking Mond over Lance and Fields? 

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nfl/news/chris-simms-kellen-mond-justin-fields-trey-lance-2021-nfl-draft/a331peu7nvnq10vizr6arh34z#:~:text=But to further complicate the,106.7 The Fan in Washington.

Obviously these guy's careers are far from over, but the fact that Simms was so matter-of-fact about his ratings that year and so self absorbed makes this all that much better.  

I disagreed with his takes on both Lance and Jones and he scared me (along with Forge and all the national media) saying we were going to draft Jones, but I do appreciate he has his own opinions. For better or worse he owns up to them I think as well.

Hopefully though it'll be on the next edition of this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Freezing-Cold-Takes-Predictions_and-Fascinating/dp/0762475455/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=nfl+freezing+cold+takes&qid=1661197448&sprefix=nfl+freezin%2Caps%2C151&sr=8-1

• Like 1