Christian Watson this, Christian Watson that....dude's done NOTHING, literally NOTHING.

vegas492

10 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

Is Christian's body catching merely a superficial cosmetic flaw? To me it's a bit like banking in a three point shot...ugly but it counts. Yesterday there was one that got all the way into his belly before he wrapped it up--for a key first down. Ugly, but first-downy for sure.

Does anyone have a concern that it represents a stubborn limitation for him? One that should have been coached out of him long ago? 

Probably didn't help that he was in a heavy run offense in college.  And he job was to fly deep.

He's got to learn these new routes and how to catch the ball.

I've seen him pluck a few nicely while on the full run to tell me that it is in him.

Just needs more reps on those routes.

Freeman was a body catcher, too.  And I don't think that ever really changed with him.

3 hours ago, Sandy said:

I'm very excited for next season with these three rookie WRs. Bring back Lazard and call it a day at the position, whether it's Rodgers or Love behind center.

I would like Lazard back at the right price but certianly don't think you call it a day with just him. That position is one injury away from being pretty pedestrian and we've seen what that does to the offense. I think they need one more talented young WR for anothe year with Rodgers then hand it all over to Love soon after.

49 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

Is Christian's body catching merely a superficial cosmetic flaw? To me it's a bit like banking in a three point shot...ugly but it counts. Yesterday there was one that got all the way into his belly before he wrapped it up--for a key first down. Ugly, but first-downy for sure.

Does anyone have a concern that it represents a stubborn limitation for him? One that should have been coached out of him long ago? 

He is likely to be more of a body catcher long term, but those catches from last night are not a concern to me. I feel like it was more a matter of circumstance that he ended ended up body catching them. With his body position and ball placement along with where the defender was a body was more appropriate than normal. He uses his hands well on the sidelines and did in college in his limited opportunities.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Uffdaswede said:

Lol rodge pointed out in his post game interview that he likes how doubs catches with his hands

6 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Doubs.  10 games played.  55 targets.  36 receptions.  369 yards.  3 TD's.  

Watson.  11 games played.  47 targets.  29 receptions.  447 yards.  7 TD's.

Toure.  8 games played.  10 targets.  5 receptions.  82 yards.  1 TD.

Totals.  112 targets.  70 receptions.  898 yards.  11 TD's.

Per Pro Football Reference.

Add in Watson's rushing stats too and you end up with 13 TDs from rookie WRs this year. Fun.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Add in Watson's rushing stats too and you end up with 13 TDs from rookie WRs this year. Fun.

I almost posted this about those stats....

I wonder what they look like if we take away bubble screens and those little flip passes on motion.  There were a ton of those early in the year.

I like what they are doing with them now as opposed to then.  The recent stats are more "WR-like" than the earlier ones.  

In other words....we knew the beginning of the year would be tough for the WR's.  The key was watching if they got better and more involved later in the year.  And they are, which means they are picking up the offense and the NFL game in general.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Probably didn't help that he was in a heavy run offense in college.  And he job was to fly deep.

He's got to learn these new routes and how to catch the ball.

I've seen him pluck a few nicely while on the full run to tell me that it is in him.

Just needs more reps on those routes.

Freeman was a body catcher, too.  And I don't think that ever really changed with him.

Watson has body caught most .. shown an ability to hands catch on some as well.  At this point in time I'm fine with him doing whatever he needs to do to secure the catch.  He's all hands catcher in the practice snippets that come out from time to time.  

Freeman had a damn fine career and he was almost completely a body catcher.  Hands catches from him were few and far between.

20 hours ago, CrazyJoeDavola said:

He is likely to be more of a body catcher long term, but those catches from last night are not a concern to me. I feel like it was more a matter of circumstance that he ended ended up body catching them. With his body position and ball placement along with where the defender was a body was more appropriate than normal. He uses his hands well on the sidelines and did in college in his limited opportunities.

I agree with this.  He can use his hands when necessary.  While I was worried early on given his college reputation and his issues early in the season, he is showing that he can catch the ball.

1 hour ago, HokieHigh said:

I now think we gotta let lazard walk after this year. Draft more young guys

I think you're more than happy to have lazard back at high end WR3 money on a short 1-2 year deal.  $5M/year something like that, but once you're in WR 2 money it doesn't make sense to me.  Then you gotta let him walk, and go cheapy by signing Olamide Zacchaeus or Breshad Perriman, Parris Campbell, Noah Brown, ESB, Nick Westbrook or something like that.

15 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I think you're more than happy to have lazard back at high end WR3 money on a short 1-2 year deal.  $5M/year something like that, but once you're in WR 2 money it doesn't make sense to me.  Then you gotta let him walk, and go cheapy by signing Olamide Zacchaeus or Breshad Perriman, Parris Campbell, Noah Brown, ESB, Nick Westbrook or something like that.

I think $5M is too light.  But....

I'll bet we could use that as more or less a "base" and then put some really nice incentives in there for yards, receptions, games played....etc.  Maybe those incentives could bump him to $7-$8M/year.

Then as I'm typing that....we have zero invested financially in the WR room.  Might as well just give him $7-$9M/year.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

I think $5M is too light.  But....

I'll bet we could use that as more or less a "base" and then put some really nice incentives in there for yards, receptions, games played....etc.  Maybe those incentives could bump him to $7-$8M/year.

Then as I'm typing that....we have zero invested financially in the WR room.  Might as well just give him $7-$9M/year.

Exactly this, our WRs are all on rookie contracts. Why not bring him back.

1 minute ago, Sandy said:

Exactly this, our WRs are all on rookie contracts. Why not bring him back.

because irresponsible spending is still irresponsible spending when you don't have to spend it?

He's not worth that to me.  Maybe he is to you or the team.  But having cheap options doesn't mean it's ok to overpay for a player in a salary cap league.  Money can be better spent elsewhere

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

because irresponsible spending is still irresponsible spending when you don't have to spend it?

He's not worth that to me.  Maybe he is to you or the team.  But having cheap options doesn't mean it's ok to overpay for a player in a salary cap league.  Money can be better spent elsewhere

$7-9m a year on a 2 or 3 year deal is hardly irresponsible. He handles his responsibilities well.

NFL teams need at least three quality receivers. It's a weak free agent class. If you'd rather an early draft pick that's fine, I'd rather Lazard.