The Move to Arlington Heights - Official Thread

beardown3231

If they do end up staying in the city, I hope that they make it convenient to get to without driving. Dedicate an entire gate to public transportation with a separate ride share lane. Bus routes from Union And Ogilvie right to the stadium on game days. What I really dream of someday is a stadium in a city with no parking lot at all. I wish America was more embracing of the European model. Huge emphasis on public transportation and walking/biking cities.

5 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

If they do end up staying in the city, I hope that they make it convenient to get to without driving. Dedicate an entire gate to public transportation with a separate ride share lane. Bus routes from Union And Ogilvie right to the stadium on game days. What I really dream of someday is a stadium in a city with no parking lot at all. I wish America was more embracing of the European model. Huge emphasis on public transportation and walking/biking cities.

staying in chicago = new shiny stadium but still a PITA to get to and from. no real restaurant/bar options. would be a horrible decision to build in the same general location.

4 minutes ago, dafreak said:

staying in chicago = new shiny stadium but still a PITA to get to and from. no real restaurant/bar options. would be a horrible decision to build in the same general location.

What they should really do is partner up with Metra and CTA and work out an arrangement where your Bears game ticket works as your fare for CTA and Metra on game days. 

2 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

What they should really do is partner up with Metra and CTA and work out an arrangement where your Bears game ticket works as your fare for CTA and Metra on game days. 

That would be the least of my worries...

Just now, dafreak said:

That would be the least of my worries...

I'm not looking at it from a financial side, though many will. The simple reality is most Americans have a really negative opinion of public transportation. What I'm getting at is that if you build your new stadium with a public transportation hub and then incentivize your fans to use it, you create a much better game day experience for everyone.

People won't like hearing this but our culture of taking your car with you everywhere is insane and a uniquely American problem.

4 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

I'm not looking at it from a financial side, though many will. The simple reality is most Americans have a really negative opinion of public transportation. What I'm getting at is that if you build your new stadium with a public transportation hub and then incentivize your fans to use it, you create a much better game day experience for everyone.

People won't like hearing this but our culture of taking your car with you everywhere is insane and a uniquely American problem.

Building it on the same location will not promote public transportation, that's the problem with that site. It is simply a pain in the *** to get to.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

You have to drive to train station.  Pay.  Park.  Walk to train.  Pay for tickets.  Get on train.  Go find right bus stop to get to soldier field.  Walk to bus stop.  Get on crowded bus.  Bus still has to drive across Lake Shore to stadium same as your car does and it takes a long time to get there with traffic backed up.   Then repeat on way back.  

Doing all this with kids in tow is daunting when you are not used to using buses and trains to get around.  

Going to Arlington - train drops you off right there at the site.  It is easy peasy.  Train - Stadium.  Done.  two steps.  Train station - stadium.   

Going to the race track was never a pain whether by car or by train.  

People like the car - because it is one step.   But it takes forever to park and get in.  There is just the one ramp in and out off Lake Shore.  

37 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

It's different living in a big city versus not.

In a big city you don't need a car.

Everywhere else you do.

The other part of this whole thing is crime.  Or perception of it.

At least once every 2-3 weeks some woman in my hearing or to me says I am not going to Chicago.  For this or that. 

Because they are afraid.

I never heard this 10 years ago or more.  Never.  People loved going to the city.

Anecdotal.  But still.  I hear it a lot.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

The other part of this whole thing is crime.  Or perception of it.

At least once every 2-3 weeks some woman in my hearing or to me says I am not going to Chicago.  For this or that. 

Because they are afraid.

I never heard this 10 years ago or more.  Never.  People loved going to the city.

Anecdotal.  But still.  I hear it a lot.

Dude.  Do you think people repeating it over and over again-and I mean this could be right wing media or it could be someone on a sports forum-has anything to do with this? 

You can show people statistics, numbers and personal stories about all those times you didn't get marauded by gangs of flame throwing wielding chuds.  You can point out that any number of other cities great and small, often including places people are from, are more dangerous by any metric, and it's not enough to overcome the fact that there are cable channels and websites that have made their money to constantly vilify big cities and Chicago, and it has absolutely gotten people trained to parrot it every chance they can.  With some people I know I'm genuinely not certain if they know they're doing it or it's like "Chicago" is Pavlov's bell for them. 

• Like 1

I find it to be near impossible to believe the increase in taxes.... when they'd basically have ownership of what will effectively be the "new wrigleyville" is making them want to swap to a stadium they wouldn't even own downtown.

Just owning the strip of bars in the downtown section of the Bearsville next to the stadium will probably pay all of the taxes they'd have to pay yearly.

I'd add just the tax revenue for Arlington Heights from all those businesses/homes/ and the stadium should more than incentivize the city to cut a deal and get the Bears moved in.... Both sides trying to get the best deal for themselves, but both sides posturing too much.

Edited by Epyon

22 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Dude.  Do you think people repeating it over and over again-and I mean this could be right wing media or it could be someone on a sports forum-has anything to do with this? 

You can show people statistics, numbers and personal stories about all those times you didn't get marauded by gangs of flame throwing wielding chuds.  You can point out that any number of other cities great and small, often including places people are from, are more dangerous by any metric, and it's not enough to overcome the fact that there are cable channels and websites that have made their money to constantly vilify big cities and Chicago, and it has absolutely gotten people trained to parrot it every chance they can.  With some people I know I'm genuinely not certain if they know they're doing it or it's like "Chicago" is Pavlov's bell for 

It doesn’t matter if it is real.  The perception is real.  

• Like 1