The Move to Arlington Heights - Official Thread

beardown3231

4 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

huh so it turns out kevin warren might know what he's doing. weird

It's good to know that Arlington Heights wants it.  

There is a loud contingent that does not.

I personally really want it there.   So I am definitely biased.

My office is literally less than a block from train station.  I can be at Bears stadium from work in 25 minutes or so by train door to door.

I might just go hang out on game days pre-game and tailgate without going in.

I also think it will transform the RE market for a good 40 mile radius around that stadium.  Which includes my house.

You know how it's completley nuts that the Bears bought the property BEFORE they had a complete plan with not-minor-things like how much it would cost in taxes lined up?

If you've ever been frustrated/furious with the Bears for doing things out of sequence (keeping Nagy, drafting Fields,  firing Nagy, hiring Flus, KEEPING Flus, dumping Fields etc etc) and been frustrated that they have never felt the consequences of it... well, they did the same damn thing with their stadium purchase, and it is going to cost them what is likely an enormous amount of money.  Can you image if they'd had things lined up before they bought, way way back in 2021?  It's essentially just wasted time, increased rates, who knows what's happening with their financing....   All while making NO extra money while it all swings in the wind. They are essentially living through the business version of the Bears 2021 season.  I'd say George and Ted deserve it but I'm guessing Ted is just chuckling it up at a bar in Bali and explaining to the bored bartender that he doesn't even like football. 

Edited by BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW

1 hour ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

You know how it's completley nuts that the Bears bought the property BEFORE they had a complete plan with not-minor-things like how much it would cost in taxes lined up?

If you've ever been frustrated/furious with the Bears for doing things out of sequence (keeping Nagy, drafting Fields,  firing Nagy, hiring Flus, KEEPING Flus, dumping Fields etc etc) and been frustrated that they have never felt the consequences of it... well, they did the same damn thing with their stadium purchase, and it is going to cost them what is likely an enormous amount of money.  Can you image if they'd had things lined up before they bought, way way back in 2021?  It's essentially just wasted time, increased rates, who knows what's happening with their financing....   All while making NO extra money while it all swings in the wind. They are essentially living through the business version of the Bears 2021 season.  I'd say George and Ted deserve it but I'm guessing Ted is just chuckling it up at a bar in Bali and explaining to the bored bartender that he doesn't even like football. 

I don't that lining everything up was possible ahead of time.   They are going to be asking for 100s of millions in essentially grants in addition to tax breaks.  That is going to take govt. action and govt. doesn't move fast.  

And getting things done may have caused Arlington Owners to jack their price to the moon.

They likely should have applied for demolition and got all that cleared early though.  They could have gotten vacant land tax rate right off bat and avoided a number of arguments.

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I don't that lining everything up was possible ahead of time.   They are going to be asking for 100s of millions in essentially grants in addition to tax breaks.  That is going to take govt. action and govt. doesn't move fast.  

And getting things done may have caused Arlington Owners to jack their price to the moon.

They likely should have applied for demolition and got all that cleared early though.  They could have gotten vacant land tax rate right off bat and avoided a number of arguments.

Let's put it this way, I suspect if it was Warren involved at the onset I don't think they would have even closed on the property without having a framework in place,  as specific and binding as would be legal.  It's one thing to move in to a place and find out, dang, I'm stuck in an area that has one refuse service so they overcharge me... it's another to say we had no idea how they were going to tax us, and were hoping no one would notice the stadium until it was too late.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Let's put it this way, I suspect if it was Warren involved at the onset I don't think they would have even closed on the property without having a framework in place,  as specific and binding as would be legal.  It's one thing to move in to a place and find out, dang, I'm stuck in an area that has one refuse service so they overcharge me... it's another to say we had no idea how they were going to tax us, and were hoping no one would notice the stadium until it was too late.

He is really nice guy by all accounts so I really hate saying this.

George McCasky is heir to the Chicago Bears and has no discernable skills in regards to running the org.  

Maybe he does and I don't know it.  But from public evidence at least as it pertains to Bears org: 

He doesn't have any football coaching knowledge.  He has no football business knowledge.  He has no business industry knowledge.   He seems to have not leveraged any high level political connections in his life though he owns the bloody Chicago Bears.  He entirely relies on other people to run every aspect of the family business.   

Much of it from his own mouth.  'Just a fan.'

What is his contribution?  Attend the board meetings?  Sign things?  

Maybe I am 100% wrong.  But that is what it looks like from outside.  

He could have grown up attending practices.  Learning from the coaches. Sitting in on the meetings.  He could have been in dozens of draft war rooms before he was 30.  Gone to owners meeting from his teenage years.  Learned the business side.  Interned with other owners.   Etc. etc. etc.  If ever there could have been a master of NFL world it was him.

I guess he just didn't have a passion for it.  You couldn't have kept me away.  I would have skipped school.  

• Like 2

This pendulum keeps swinging.  I still find it hard to believe that they would prefer a stadium they don’t own. 

But cost of building right now is really high.  And if they can’t get a good property tax deal …

If this generates most public money for them and they don’t have to reach into their own pockets it might may more sense at least in near term.  

I for one still don't buy it, and think this is just a leverage play to bend AH over a bit. Hopefully Warren is able to insulate George from having an opinion or trying to make a decision. 

If you want to imagine the challenges of the current Soldier Field are, just look at how narrow the proposed spot is on google maps.  I was driving by it on Sunday and my buddy reminded me how we bailed out of a taxi on LSD to get there last time we went to a game. Now, if you wanted to take over the US Steel South Works area you could really have something with future upside.  Not sure how superfund type rules apply if it's not going to be residential, but that would actually be worth exploring.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

I still find it hard to believe that they would prefer a stadium they don’t own

Even more than the stadium... The Arlington Heights plans had them basically building their own Wrigleyville that the team would own too. That'd immediately become one of, if not the, best bar locations in the Chicagoland area. And again all team owned.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

This pendulum keeps swinging.  I still find it hard to believe that they would prefer a stadium they don’t own. 

1 hour ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

I for one still don't buy it, and think this is just a leverage play to bend AH over a bit. Hopefully Warren is able to insulate George from having an opinion or trying to make a decision. 

We are a Long Way from anything being finalized. Warren is basically just a politician here, dont believe anything he says, just what he actually does