2023 NFL Draft Prospects

Madmike90

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I reckon by the end of next season no one will this Velus is a bust anymore...I think we started seeing more of a comfort level as the season went on with him and when you consider the lack of impact Claypool also had in this offence after arriving later I think with a year under his belt he will become a really solid player for us out of the slot where he can be a traditional receiver but even more importantly a weapon who can do a bit of everything.

I don't trust Velus to line up in the slot and make tough catches in traffic. He couldn't catch in college and it would take a **** load of work to all of a sudden be very reliable. To me he's a guy you put in motion a lot & perhaps line up in the slot to clear the field or move a safety. Occasionally you throw it to him on a screen or hand it to him on an end-around, but it was a reach then and it's a reach now

8 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I don't trust Velus to line up in the slot and make tough catches in traffic. 

well its a good thing he's not a slot receiver then

To me he's a guy you put in motion a lot & perhaps line up in the slot to clear the field or move a safety. Occasionally you throw it to him on a screen or hand it to him on an end-around

so...part of what they want him to do?

I know we are all currently falling over ourselves looking at the First Round OTs, and sure we could absolutely take one, especially after another trade down, but there is a real scenario where we are looking at grabbing our RT in the late 2nd - 4th round. And if that does happen, I think there are some serious options there for RTs. They have their blemishes, but definitely seem to fit the strategy that some of us believe we will employ in the draft

Wanya Morris OKLAHOMA - I have been hoping he slips in the draft, and after the hammy in the 40 I though he might. But seems like it wasnt anything major, and he keeps climbing peoples boards. Guy is SUPER athletic, has the measurables we look for (wingspan) and all the tools to be a starting Tackle. But is technique is just awful, and he kind of just goes out there and plays. You harness even 50% of that, and youve already got a steal, even if he goes as high as some are projecting him right now

Jaelyn Duncan MARYLAND - Anther very big and impressive athlete, who is also a mess technically. He can be a nasty run blocker, and is much further along on that side, but needs alot of improvement pass blocking, but its probably mostly teaching, and not that he cant, hes too athletic not to be able to. He could go even higher than we may be talking about here, because some team may look and think they may be able to make a LT out of him.

Tyler Steen ALABAMA - Plus Athlete although not as athletic as the other two, but smart. Not as much of a mess technically, but extremely inconsistent there. He is very quick and agile, who knows how to use his body blocking, but is not going to overpower anyone, even if he puts on good bulk/strength. Why I like him more than most, the considerable improvement under one year at Alabama (from Vanderbilt) gives me hope that he could be coached up to a reliable (while not jumping off the page) RT in this scheme

There are definitely others, but these are three Im really looking at right now

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

I don't trust Velus to line up in the slot and make tough catches in traffic. He couldn't catch in college and it would take a **** load of work to all of a sudden be very reliable. To me he's a guy you put in motion a lot & perhaps line up in the slot to clear the field or move a safety. Occasionally you throw it to him on a screen or hand it to him on an end-around, but it was a reach then and it's a reach now

I don't think he starts in the slot or anything but I think the bold part out of the slot and in motion still makes him a real threat when you combine it with Fields' running ability and Moore on the outside...that is a lot to defence...not to mention if your OL can hold up enough to build in some sets with Claypool & Mooney all on the field at the same time...he doesn't need to be the headline act just enough of a threat to rip off a chunk play that he gets defences thinking.

26 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Wanya Morris OKLAHOMA - I have been hoping he slips in the draft, and after the hammy in the 40 I though he might. But seems like it wasnt anything major, and he keeps climbing peoples boards. Guy is SUPER athletic, has the measurables we look for (wingspan) and all the tools to be a starting Tackle. But is technique is just awful, and he kind of just goes out there and plays. You harness even 50% of that, and youve already got a steal, even if he goes as high as some are projecting him right now

if we don't go T in rd 1, he is my target for our 3rd round pick

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

if we don't go T in rd 1, he is my target for our 3rd round pick

I think he is just about everyone's target if we don't take a 1st round OT...he would be a quality scheme fit and shares a lot in common with Braxton Jones from last offseason...now that he has recovered from the hamstring strain he has his own pro day arranged for April 11th so it will be interesting to see how he looks there and just how many teams are in attendance.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I think he is just about everyone's target if we don't take a 1st round OT...he would be a quality scheme fit and shares a lot in common with Braxton Jones from last offseason...now that he has recovered from the hamstring strain he has his own pro day arranged for April 11th so it will be interesting to see how he looks there and just how many teams are in attendance.

Unfortunately fo us behind the keyboards, I dont think his Pro Day is going to give all that much information other than is he healed up

He was such a college underachiever, and seemed to play "his own way" so often than its going to be just as much about the conversations with him, and how they feel he would fit/take to their coaching. Which as always, is just stuff we will never actually find out, unless we do pick him and we hear the positive stories at that time.

31 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Unfortunately fo us behind the keyboards, I dont think his Pro Day is going to give all that much information other than is he healed up

He was such a college underachiever, and seemed to play "his own way" so often than its going to be just as much about the conversations with him, and how they feel he would fit/take to their coaching. Which as always, is just stuff we will never actually find out, unless we do pick him and we hear the positive stories at that time.

I'm not so sure he was playing his own way as he was playing the Oklahoma way...I remember this going back to Cody Ford & Orlando Brown coming out...they almost seem to play almost detached from the rest of the OL...the gaps between the linemen seem weird there is very little in the way of one fluid unit...the OL coach at OK has been the same guy for 10 years and all their OTs always look a bit strange IMO but there is no doubting the size,length & athletic upside he has...like you said if he can get his technique down more and learn to work as a unit with his RG & a TE (something else OK do very little of) he could be a steal.

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

If true...the Raiders were one of the last teams I figured would take guys off the board.

Al Davis's Rayduhs he would have moved up to take him. His son is not Al. And Ruggs really set Vegas back. 

5 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I know we are all currently falling over ourselves looking at the First Round OTs, and sure we could absolutely take one, especially after another trade down, but there is a real scenario where we are looking at grabbing our RT in the late 2nd - 4th round. And if that does happen, I think there are some serious options there for RTs. They have their blemishes, but definitely seem to fit the strategy that some of us believe we will employ in the draft

Jaelyn Duncan MARYLAND - Anther very big and impressive athlete, who is also a mess technically. He can be a nasty run blocker, and is much further along on that side, but needs alot of improvement pass blocking, but its probably mostly teaching, and not that he cant, hes too athletic not to be able to. He could go even higher than we may be talking about here, because some team may look and think they may be able to make a LT out of him.

Tyler Steen ALABAMA - Plus Athlete although not as athletic as the other two, but smart. Not as much of a mess technically, but extremely inconsistent there. He is very quick and agile, who knows how to use his body blocking, but is not going to overpower anyone, even if he puts on good bulk/strength. Why I like him more than most, the considerable improvement under one year at Alabama (from Vanderbilt) gives me hope that he could be coached up to a reliable (while not jumping off the page) RT in this scheme

There are definitely others, but these are three Im really looking at right now

I like Duncan and Morris also but find it hard to slot them as a starter this year. Both have starter grade ceilings but are not there yet. Steen imo is a lower ceiling guy and may have peaked already. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RTD said:

Al Davis's Rayduhs he would have moved up to take him. His son is not Al. And Ruggs really set Vegas back. 

That's a really good point to be fair...would be a ton of negative press around picking Carter for that reason alone.

3 hours ago, RTD said:

Steen imo is a lower ceiling guy and may have peaked already. 

I would have agreed had he not shown significant improvement in just one season at Bama

and for your overall point, did you see Braxton Jones as a year 1 starter at LT before last years draft? Or mini camp? Or training camp?

We are probably playing multiple guys who are going to be thrown into the fire a bit too early, and we will deal with the growing pains now rather than later. Why not another OT this year just like last

• Like 1