2023 NFL Draft Prospects

Madmike90

53 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Except we still have to spend actual money this year, so it makes much more sense to spend it on a player who you know, who they seem to trust/like, and can fill a vital role, even if it is as a backup

There is not one single other veteran alternative out there that I would rather spend his money on right now, not to mention, we dont need to, as we have plenty of cap space left. and will still need to use to assist in spending actual dollars on the 3 year rolling floor.

Probably why he may stay.

But they can fill to floor with extensions.  

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Probably why he may stay.

But they can fill to floor with extensions.  

If Whitehair ends up a backup for us, a) that means better players are ahead of him; and b) we’d have the best paid 3-position backup in the league with 107 starts under his belt who’s already fully immersed in the scheme and well respected in the locker room. Also, there’s zero downside to keeping him right now even if you intend to cut him later. 

13 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Tough to say before the draft happens...some best guesses based on current rosters & cap space...

WR Corey Davis

WR Curtis Samuel

WR Quez Watkins

C Andre James

DE Carl Lawson

DE Za'Darius Smith

Far easier to project once we know who lands where.

Za'Darius Smith would be interesting, but it sounds like Minnesota doesn't want to get rid of him even though he requested a release. They'd probably be able to get something in a trade for him rather than cutting him, assuming his contract doesn't have some sort of no-trade clause

15 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Tough to say before the draft happens...some best guesses based on current rosters & cap space...

WR Corey Davis

WR Curtis Samuel

WR Quez Watkins

C Andre James

DE Carl Lawson

DE Za'Darius Smith

Far easier to project once we know who lands where.

The edge guys are intriguing but I don’t see any of the rest as options. Watkins doesn’t make much and isn’t likely to be cut, and the other two would be signing somewhere where they’d be higher than WR4 on the depth chart. We already have 2 veteran centers on the roster in Whitehair and Patrick so I can’t see James being in consideration. 

16 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

If Whitehair ends up a backup for us, a) that means better players are ahead of him; and b) we’d have the best paid 3-position backup in the league with 107 starts under his belt who’s already fully immersed in the scheme and well respected in the locker room. Also, there’s zero downside to keeping him right now even if you intend to cut him later. 

It sounds like they plan on keeping him.  

6 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

Za'Darius Smith would be interesting, but it sounds like Minnesota doesn't want to get rid of him even though he requested a release. They'd probably be able to get something in a trade for him rather than cutting him, assuming his contract doesn't have some sort of no-trade clause

I think right now they don't release them but what they do in the draft scout change all that...either way the Vikes have to release someone because if they don't they can't even afford their draft picks.

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

Someone brought up if we draft Broderick Jones, our two offensive tackles will have “Bro Jones” and “Bra Jones” on their jerseys. I’m here for it 

Someones OCD would really be triggered if we picked up Elgton Jenkins in stead of Davis, and then traded for Ryan Jensen from the Bucs and we'd have the highly satisfying line of 
Jones-Jenkins-Jensen-Jenkins-Jones

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

Someone brought up if we draft Broderick Jones, our two offensive tackles will have “Bro Jones” and “Bra Jones” on their jerseys. I’m here for it 

not for this reason, but i think i'm leaning towards Jones being my #1 target for OT

edit: but i do like that tho

Edited by HuskieBear

With Ryan Poles saying he values local kids and feels they can be more motivated to do well for the team they grow up supporting is Lukas Van Ness almost becoming an obvious pick if we chose to not go RT in the 1st round? He has clear ties to the franchise and brings not only outstanding size/athletic upside/versatility but really plays up to the HITS principles that Flus wants...

Flus missed Justin Smith at Missouri by one year but I guarantee he knows all about him...Van Ness reminds me a ton of Smith just bigger & longer.

The predilection towards athletes close to Chicago/Chicago fans seems odd to me but I suppose a great way to buy into the team and get it to gel is to get a team full of people in love with the Chicago Bears. It’s something I’ve never heard of before. 

Poles also said he wants to run potential picks by the owners so everyone can be on the same page for each player and their character. But it kinda annoys me hearing that. The owners having any say in the franchise has held it back in the past. I’d rather they sit back, make money, and be bears fans while trusting the professionals to do what they should be good at. 

My current best draft scenario is trading down, grabbing  Wright-RT in the late teens and Washington-TE (though he'd need to slip to pick like 40ish for this), then best center late round 2 (JMS or Tippman), unless Jahmyr Gibbs-RB or Zay Flowers-Wr falls to that spot. 

But would be happy with any of the following at 9

Witherspoon-CB

Paris Johnson-LT 

Jones-OT (guy could play either side) 

JSN-WR

Wright-RT

Or trade downs for any of

Robinson-rb (as a former rb, I'll always homer for running back talent more than the league does. I'd even personally consider him at 9, but I think small trade down is the only way fans don't lose their minds) 

Hyatt-WR (I'm higher on him than most, but it'd be a real hard sell considering how bad velus has been for us, considering same school. This is probably a trade to 20+) 

Gibbs-RB (I think he's actually a more explosive scheme fit than Robinson would be, but he's a guy who needs to split carries, Robinson is a guy you just keep out there as much as possible. Pick 25 or later) 

Washington-TE (this is my "pound the table for" pick of this entire draft class now... Anytime after pick 20 or so, I'm in.) 

LVNess-DE (I've actually soured a bit on him lately... He's not as complete as his current hype, and you're drafting more on projection than I'm comfortable with. I'd add, philosophically, I don't really want to spend early picks on defense when offense is more critical to address this year, unless I'm confident they're an elite player, like Witherspoon-cb. LVN would be pick 20 or later for me) 

• Like 1