GTD: Week 1 vs 49ers (Regime Debut -- Rebuilding the Tower Begins) AKA Capt Trey Lance Debate

JAF-N72EX

*These do not include the other play above*

Roquan takes a good angle and makes a good play to chase down full speed Aiyuk.

GOYO7Z1.gif

-----------

Please have a moment of silence for Roquans soul......

ZZANdwh.gif

---------------

Lance sold the hell out of this but still.....Roquan biting hard fakes was a common theme throughout the game. Defenses will def start picking up on this if he doesn't correct it.

Kk42uz7.gif

----------------

Bites on the fake again and then get lost in coverage allowing the TE blow right past him. Lucky for us Lance missed him.

6QVmrdQ.gif

--------------

Quinn already has the B gap covered Ro.....stay home and cover C.

MPKJCFa.gif

-----------

Cmon Ro.... we didn't see this level of indecisiveness last year. Shoot the gap. You know you have help on the edge if Lance takes off with the ball.

MPKJCFa.gif

Ro is being blocked by the great TE named Charlie Woerner and he can't seem shed him.

https://imgur.com/Kh02o4U

-----------

This is where he starts to show the relentless dog in him and playing on instincts that we're accustomed to seeing.

lNmtdMM.gif

---------------

Uses his hands to fight of the OL and makes the play.

S1MsYOr.gif

---------

Same as above. Again.  Fights of the block, shoots the gap, and dives on the play.

qTkRafa.gif

--------------

This is probably my favorite of his all game.  It's not a splash play or anything special but it's small things.

He immediately picks up his coverage off the snap and gets physical and knocks the player off his route, without even taking his eyes off the QB (watch his head), and then jumps right in and makes the play.  Subtle nuances matter.

I9BHulc.gif

----------

Playing on instinct.  Lance has him in the open field and he doesn't hesitate.

https://imgur.com/mH0u36m

• Like 1

Sheds the block again and makes the play. Stark difference from the beginning of the game.

lNUMoiP.gif

--------------

----------

He could've done a little bit better in coverage here but he almost got the tip.  Also give credit to Ross Dwelley here.  He recognized the coverage and sat down in the zone and moved away from Ro to give Lance an easier target.

dRQORHf.gif

-------------

Lance under estimated Roquan's range here.  Lance thought he could put the ball over Ro's top-right shoulder and he couldn't get to it.

yvDY9Pe.gif

---------

This is that non-stop motor.  This is who he is.

E4tTsRt.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Roquan didn't have his best game.  He had a bad start riddled with mistakes ranging from; falling for fakes, couldn't shed blocks, not maintaining gap assignments, got caught out of position in pass, and even got pushed half way across the field before being pancaked by McGlinchey.  But he turned it up in the 2nd half--holdout rust maybe?? He started shedding blocks and making plays sidelines to sideline,  had 2 pass deflections, chasing down Lance (which isn't easy), and he practically held the 49ers to a FG by himself in 5-10 to goal situations.

Here are 16 plays that stood out to me --both the good and the bad.

GIFs incoming.

I think Roquan like the OL needed that wake up call after the first half, hopefully going forward they can start the games how they played the second half.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

I think Roquan like the OL needed that wake up call after the first half, hopefully going forward they can start the games how they played the second half.

That's what's adding up to me too.  I mean it's too much of a coincidence that everything got better in the 2H. 

3 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

That's what's adding up to me too.  I mean it's too much of a coincidence that everything got better in the 2H. 

It seemed to me from watching on TV that both our increase in efficiency on offense and Smith’s improved play coincided with the parts of the game with the least rain (mid 2nd to early-mid 4th) and what may have been better footing. Getting to the perimeter in the run game with stretch plays and on rollouts and counter action would seemingly be far easier when you’re not playing on a slip and slide. For Roquan, several of the plays you highlighted later in the game included him making quick changes of direction that he might not have been able to make in the more wet parts of the game.  

• Like 1

Regarding the weather as well, the crazy optimism for the team in general I'm seeing all over the media this week is a bit premature...

We beat a tough team, no doubt..... but they had a ton of penalties, had a couple of bad calls go against them, and the weather cleared up when we where on offense, only to go nuclear when San Fran had to try and push the ball downfield to catchup.  There where a massive amount of factors that helped push us over the finish line in that game.

I don't discount the heart, discipline, and tenacity we showed against San Fran, because those are STEPS in the right direction, but I'm also not really ready to jump on a NFC:N Championship bandwagon just yet like you're hearing in the mediasphere.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

He also didn’t practice much at all in offseason and skipped preseason games.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Epyon said:

Regarding the weather as well, the crazy optimism for the team in general I'm seeing all over the media this week is a bit premature...

We beat a tough team, no doubt..... but they had a ton of penalties, had a couple of bad calls go against them, and the weather cleared up when we where on offense, only to go nuclear when San Fran had to try and push the ball downfield to catchup.  There where a massive amount of factors that helped push us over the finish line in that game.

I don't discount the heart, discipline, and tenacity we showed against San Fran, because those are STEPS in the right direction, but I'm also not really ready to jump on a NFC:N Championship bandwagon just yet like you're hearing in the mediasphere.

We must consume different media, because I haven’t seen anyone suggest anything like this. The stuff I’ve seen only suggests the Bears might not be the super awful team they were thought to be preseason. 

There is truth though to the idea that the team that makes less mistakes is more likely to win. It’s been out there for years the direct correlation between turnover ratio and winning percentage, but it goes for penalties and mental mistakes too. With the exception of a handful of teams at the very top and a different handful at the bottom, the overall talent difference between most teams is very small, and because of that doing the little things better than the other guys can make a significant difference. Yeah, SF did plenty to beat themselves on Sunday, but just as much and arguably more importantly, the Bears didn’t do things to beat themselves. The former is good fortune for the Bears for sure, but the latter is far more controllable, and even absent SF’s own shortcomings will serve to keep the Bears competitive in a lot of games where they’re the less talented team if they’re able to mirror that discipline moving forward. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

What do you mean, aimlessly?  He was essentially playing safety-nickel hybrid here --same with Gordon on the opposite side. His coverage assignment was protecting the flat against the screen (Deebo end-round), or if the TE doesn't stay in to block Quinn, or if the QB scrambles to his side.  He had his eyes on the QB and saw where he was throwing it and hustled to try an make a play on the ball.  Which wasn't realistic given the distance but I applaud the hustle nonetheless because if Jaylon misses and doesn't push him out of bounds then at least E-Jack has a chance to chase down the WR before he gets to full speed. Potentially saving 6 points.

What I mean by aimlessly is he could've at least turned his head around at some point. I do too appreciate the hustle but even if the ball hits him it'll be DPI (which is an idiotic rule I should add). 

6 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

We must consume different media, because I haven’t seen anyone suggest anything like this. The stuff I’ve seen only suggests the Bears might not be the super awful team they were thought to be preseason. 

There is truth though to the idea that the team that makes less mistakes is more likely to win. It’s been out there for years the direct correlation between turnover ratio and winning percentage, but it goes for penalties and mental mistakes too. With the exception of a handful of teams at the very top and a different handful at the bottom, the overall talent difference between most teams is very small, and because of that doing the little things better than the other guys can make a significant difference. Yeah, SF did plenty to beat themselves on Sunday, but just as much and arguably more importantly, the Bears didn’t do things to beat themselves. The former is good fortune for the Bears for sure, but the latter is far more controllable, and even absent SF’s own shortcomings will serve to keep the Bears competitive in a lot of games where they’re the less talented team if they’re able to mirror that discipline moving forward. 

I haven't seen anyone go so far as winning the NFCN but I have been hearing a theme on 670 that we might beat the Packers because thier WR   corps isn't any better than ours and with all the injuries thier OL isn't any better either.  I'd love to believe that but I think I'll wait till I see it before I get on that bus.

18 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

For Roquan, several of the plays you highlighted later in the game included him making quick changes of direction that he might not have been able to make in the more wet parts of the game.  

I'm willing to give players the benefit due to weather,  but I'm giving him a pass on much of those plays because a lot of his mistakes stemmed from poor decision making and indecisiveness, which are totally separate and can happen on a dry field. 

As I said earlier, I'm chalking up the bad start to rust from the hold-in and giving the coaches credit for the turnaround in the 2H.  If Eberflus was hard on Jaylon for not making a tackle then I'm sure he had some choice words for Ro's play.

18 hours ago, Epyon said:

Optimism is one thing but it's seriously getting out of hand. The amount of hypocrisy and claim to victory I've seen after one game have been laughable.   I mean, the media guys are out here going "see I told you Poles was great this offseason and the Bears are not a bad team".  But all offseason those same guys were saying "we have to wait and see...give Poles 3 years before judging him", and I guarantee they jump back to this same statement when we lose.

On 9/15/2022 at 7:13 PM, JAF-N72EX said:

Optimism is one thing but it's seriously getting out of hand. The amount of hypocrisy and claim to victory I've seen after one game have been laughable.   I mean, the media guys are out here going "see I told you Poles was great this offseason and the Bears are not a bad team".  But all offseason those same guys were saying "we have to wait and see...give Poles 3 years before judging him", and I guarantee they jump back to this same statement when we lose.

The media is sczophrenic.  On one hand they want to say things that cause an emotional reaction but then they want to stay  curgent.  This often leads them to go from one extreme to the other.

Edited by Bfan
  • Like 1

On 9/15/2022 at 7:13 PM, JAF-N72EX said:

I haven't heard any of that at all.  As a matter of fact, the term I have been repeatedly hearing is "the Bears stole one."   Which is such crap.  You don't steal a game you win by 9 points.  They won bc they had better adjustments, they didn't beat themselves and they had the better QB.  That's going to be the formula that wins a lot of games.  As AZ said in the Packer thread (which is pretty much the same thing I've been saying) the talent gap between 6-27 is very small and that's why that formula can win much more than it loses.  It won't get us a superbowl until enough talent is added to matchup with those top teams, but the formula works.