Week 1: Packers (0-0) at VIKINGS (0-0)

swede700

https://www.reddit.com/r/minnesotavikings/comments/xcvxj2/patrick_peterson_likely_saved_a_td_by_calling_a/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

Taken from Reddit. I missed this dufing the game - Pat Pete calling the timeout to save us getting a 12 men penalty. The penalty would have given the Packers a 1st and goal from the 1. Highly likely they get a TD from there 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, viking said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/minnesotavikings/comments/xcvxj2/patrick_peterson_likely_saved_a_td_by_calling_a/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

Taken from Reddit. I missed this dufing the game - Pat Pete calling the timeout to save us getting a 12 men penalty. The penalty would have given the Packers a 1st and goal from the 1. Highly likely they get a TD from there 

Nice heads up play the vetran.

Outta curiosity, how is Vikings reddit?

I'm interested to see what folks think about these tweets:

Both are comments on the same play, and I think I disagree with both of them. They seem to imply that the "breakdown" was Kirk's fault, and that the throw was bad.

I could be wrong, but I think this ball was not a duck or a wobbly pass - he threw a ball with the right trajectory and threw Jefferson open. When he let go of the ball JJ was still between the hashes.

On the blocking front, they seem to blame Kirk for turning the wrong way on PA, but I think Dalvin went the wrong way. Bradbury and Ingram already had a double, and Dalvin went to the right side to triple, leaving Cleveland 1-1? That doesn't make sense to me. 

Either way it seems like both are looking for a reason to criticize Kirk. And I normally love Arif's analysis.

14 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I do believe he probably turned the wrong way (unless Cook went the wrong way), but the pass was fine, as far as I'm concerned.  He was in an awkward position when he threw it, so that's probably where they think it wasn't a great pass.  

He might have turned the wrong way, but the blocking calls for that play don't seem to match up. Cook should have gone left to help on Cleveland's assignment. That would have kept the pocket cleaner.

At any rate, I think that play was an example of what most people wanted from Kirk - feel the pressure, climb the pocket, make an off-script, off-platform throw when it's there. And he still gets criticized for it...

Edited by JDBrocks
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Both are comments on the same play, and I think I disagree with both of them. They seem to imply that the "breakdown" was Kirk's fault, and that the throw was bad.

I could be wrong, but I think this ball was not a duck or a wobbly pass - he threw a ball with the right trajectory and threw Jefferson open. When he let go of the ball JJ was still between the hashes.

On the blocking front, they seem to blame Kirk for turning the wrong way on PA, but I think Dalvin went the wrong way. Bradbury and Ingram already had a double, and Dalvin went to the right side to triple, leaving Cleveland 1-1? That doesn't make sense to me. 

Either way it seems like both are looking for a reason to criticize Kirk. And I normally love Arif's analysis.

Regardless of who turned the wrong way, those are the kind of errors I would expect week 1, with a new regime and no preseason. It should get cleaned up no doubt but I kind of agree that it seems Cook went the wrong way based on how the blocking was setup. Too speculative to matter, breakdowns happen. Being able to make a play off script has plagued Cousins so it could have been worse.  

Or maybe it was bad play design to leave Cleveland 1:1. 

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Regardless of whether Cook or Cousins went the wrong way, Kirk did a great job climbing the pocket, seeing JJ coming open, and putting the ball in a spot where it could be caught and run with, all while throwing off-platform. No need to nitpick that play. Good teams often have some ugly plays that just go their way. 

• Like 3