Week 1: Packers (0-0) at VIKINGS (0-0)

swede700

Thoughts from being at the game....

-There was such a different/better energy even before the game. Hard to explain but it felt like a first date with the nervous excitement about what's about to happen.

-It was maybe 90/10 Vikings fans and Packer fans were extremely quiet from kickoff. We had about a dozen in our general area (lower level, endzone) and they were doing nothing but complaining about the Packers

-You could tell even without the benefit of TV that there were some communication errors. I fully believe it was just a by-product of the starters not getting any pre-season time.

-Screw the jerks behind us in the tailgate lot that didn't bother to move as I tried to 10-point turn to get out of my parking spot.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Robb_K said:

Mattison showed us why it was good Kwesi didn't take many fans advice to trade him for a 5th Round draft choice, rather than letting him play out his contact.  He gets yards when they aren't there, and things are so clogged up even Cook couldn't get them.  They can get an extra 5th Rounder.  They really need Mattison this year just to ease Cook's load, and If we have the really bad luck that Cook is out for awhile, HE and Chandler will be a good change-up team, to take up the slack, to keep a good running game threat, so opposing defences can't load up against the pass.

Besides two runs that I can remember, Cook really didn't look like Cook that we're used to. Maybe because it's game #1 but I think his long was 12-yards.

I mean it's hard to complain about 90+ yards but Mattison looked like the back who looked like he could snap off a 25 yarder.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Besides two runs that I can remember, Cook really didn't look like Cook that we're used to. Maybe because it's game #1 but I think his long was 12-yards.

I mean it's hard to complain about 90+ yards but Mattison looked like the back who looked like he could snap off a 25 yarder.

Too bad Mattison is lousy at anticipating where the holes will open up.  If he were average at that, he'd be a #1 RB for more than half The NFL's teams.  As it is, his hard crashing running through tackles-style makes him a marginal NFL starter (a starter on probably 4-5 NFL teams right now).  Trading him off for only a 5th or 6th Rounder would have been completely irrational.  I would only have traded him off for an average + NFL starting centre, or an average NT, or a 3rd Rounder (which NFL teams wouldn't do because they undervalue good running backs).

Once Cook gets past the first wave of potential tacklers, he's gone!  For Mattison to get 25 yards (and we've seen that happen), he basically has to run over and through at least 5 or six almost sure tackles.  But, even with his crippling shortcoming, he is still good for 100+ yards when replacing Cook for whole games.  So, he can be a great change-of-pace rotation player, AND great insurance policy for this season, getting The Vikings time to get Chandler eased into their system, and ready to either be the #1 next season, or share the carries with Cook as he winds down physically, and needs to have less carries.

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

That’s not giving GB’s secondary much credit for taking away the other options. It seemed very much like they were going to let Jefferson get his and no one else was going to beat them.

I think Osborn, AT, and Irv get going more once the PA pass game starts clicking.

never mind then

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

Ingram and Bradbury were pretty rough. It also looked like there were some communication issues between P2 and the slot corners a couple of times.

Overall great game. Easy to see why they are so confident in Joseph - he looked locked in.

Ingram will improve every game, until he'll be really solid by mid season.  By playoff time (with good luck in avoiding injuries) there will be only ONE weak ling on The OL, and scheming and in-play line formation play-calling options will help mask Bradbury's weaknesses. The Vikings will limp through this season with Bradbury as their starting centre, but in the offseason, they will surely trade for a veteran that is at LEAST NFL average starting level, AND they will also draft their long-term answer at that position (as well as a highly-rated QB from the 1st or early 2nd Round).

3rd down and RZ offense could have been better. IOL was often problematic. Irv was nonexistent. The defense got too soft in the run game in the 4th quarter. Would have been nice to see more production from the offense in the second half.

But...

The Packers didn't score in the final 2 min of either half, or at all in the first half. A-A-RON got beat up and never got into a groove. Coverage was good and the pass rush often connected. The Vikes scored on a 4th down and then punched the Packers in the mouth when they tried to do the same. The goal line stand was great, and the Vikes then marched right back down the field and scored to add insult to injury. The looks of defeat along the Packers' sideline was glorious.

Overall, the team seems much improved. As Doug Marcaida would say, "IT WILL KEEL."

• Like 3