2023 NFL draft thread

Forge

18 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

He won't be

Being out of shape before your biggest job interview makes him look either very dumb or very lazy, both of which aren’t good characteristics to have for a pro football player. 

Maybe this has just been a poor offseason for him, but it’s a bad look either way.

• Like 1

It kind of feels like we're going to take a TE and and EDGE rusher kind of high in the draft this year. Who are your top guys for us at both positions?

For TE, I'm having trouble deciding who I like the most between Luke Musgrave, Tucker Kraft, and Sam LaPorta. Musgrave may be out of our range, but his profile seems to fit our offense pretty well. Kraft and LaPorta seem like they'll be in our range in round 3 with Kraft looking like the more intriguing prospect. I also like Brenton Strange, Payne Durham, and Luke Schoonmaker as later-round developmental prospects. 

For DE, I don't really know who I like the most but Isaiah Foskey sounds like a really interesting prospect. 

On 3/20/2023 at 9:12 AM, NinerNation21 said:

It kind of feels like we're going to take a TE and and EDGE rusher kind of high in the draft this year. Who are your top guys for us at both positions?

For TE, I'm having trouble deciding who I like the most between Luke Musgrave, Tucker Kraft, and Sam LaPorta. Musgrave may be out of our range, but his profile seems to fit our offense pretty well. Kraft and LaPorta seem like they'll be in our range in round 3 with Kraft looking like the more intriguing prospect. I also like Brenton Strange, Payne Durham, and Luke Schoonmaker as later-round developmental prospects. 

For DE, I don't really know who I like the most but Isaiah Foskey sounds like a really interesting prospect. 

I think that there's a good chance that there isn't a tight end there worth taking if we stick at 99. I think we have to trade up. 

No interest in Musgrave. Cant stay healthy. Hurt guys get hurt and I'm tired of wondering why we can't stay healthy lol. I prefer Laporta from a Shanny standpoint because of his versatility and run after the catch, but I think he'll be long gone. I think Kraft is a guy I would target and he may go in that area or a little before. 

I do think that we'll go defensive line. I don't know that we will go EDGE or not. I'm not enamored with this EDGE class at all and there's nobody that I really love without a trade up. Guys like Foskey, Harrison I expect to be gone.  I think we could go an inside / out guy, and I think that we could go straight up interior. In TCMD, I bypassed pure edge in round 3 and waited until round 5. I took Colby Wooden who is probably going to be an undersized, pass rushing 3T / 4I, but could maybe hold an edge on run downs. 

I really think Corner is a spot that we should target there if only because that position is super strong in this draft. A guy that you get at the end of round 3 in this draft may have been a corner who went at the end of round 2 in another draft. I like that. There are several corners that make some sense here - The position was pillaged in TCMD, so I ended up with Tyrique Stevenson, but I think guys like Riley Moss, Darius Rush, Julius Brents all make sense if there. 

Weak safety market in terms of depth, so there isn't much there that I love, but I think it's realistic spot to still target with Gipson only here for a year and a chance that he falls off. I don't think that there are very many guys at the position that can come in and start.  A guy like JL Skinner probably goes at the end of the third round and he's flat out not good enough in coverage to be a starting safety in the NFL. Maybe Jordan Battle can be a guy like that, but I don't love it. 

• Like 1

On 3/20/2023 at 9:28 AM, Forge said:

I think that there's a good chance that there isn't a tight end there worth taking if we stick at 99. I think we have to trade up. 

No interest in Musgrave. Cant stay healthy. Hurt guys get hurt and I'm tired of wondering why we can't stay healthy lol. I prefer Laporta from a Shanny standpoint because of his versatility and run after the catch, but I think he'll be long gone. I think Kraft is a guy I would target and he may go in that area or a little before. 

I do think that we'll go defensive line. I don't know that we will go EDGE or not. I'm not enamored with this EDGE class at all and there's nobody that I really love without a trade up. Guys like Foskey, Harrison I expect to be gone.  I think we could go an inside / out guy, and I think that we could go straight up interior. In TCMD, I bypassed pure edge in round 3 and waited until round 5. I took Colby Wooden who is probably going to be an undersized, pass rushing 3T / 4I, but could maybe hold an edge on run downs. 

I really think Corner is a spot that we should target there if only because that position is super strong in this draft. A guy that you get at the end of round 3 in this draft may have been a corner who went at the end of round 2 in another draft. I like that. There are several corners that make some sense here - The position was pillaged in TCMD, so I ended up with Tyrique Stevenson, but I think guys like Riley Moss, Darius Rush, Julius Brents all make sense if there. 

Weak safety market in terms of depth, so there isn't much there that I love, but I think it's realistic spot to still target with Gipson only here for a year and a chance that he falls off. I don't think that there are very many guys at the position that can come in and start.  A guy like JL Skinner probably goes at the end of the third round and he's flat out not good enough in coverage to be a starting safety in the NFL. Maybe Jordan Battle can be a guy like that, but I don't love it. 

I think that S and OT will be high on the list of interests as well as TE. We need plans for starters at those positions beyond this year. The highest profile guys that we brought in for visits are Jammie Robinson, Blake Freeland, and Jaelyn Duncan (and the mentioned Sam LaPorta). I could see us potentially trading up for any of those guys (or another relatively premium guy at those positions) to secure a future long term starter. We have more picks than roster spots and we tend to use them to maneuver in the middle rounds. I think that we'll add a corner and a bigger receiver and a defensive linemen. A QB and a K in the 7th or UDFA. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JIllg said:

I think that S and OT will be high on the list of interests as well as TE. We need plans for starters at those positions beyond this year. The highest profile guys that we brought in for visits are Jammie Robinson, Blake Freeland, and Jaelyn Duncan (and the mentioned Sam LaPorta). I could see us potentially trading up for any of those guys (or another relatively premium guy at those positions) to secure a future long term starter. We have more picks than roster spots and we tend to use them to maneuver in the middle rounds. I think that we'll add a corner and a bigger receiver and a defensive linemen. A QB and a K in the 7th or UDFA. 

I assumed that we would go OT later in the draft (5th round or something), but I could definitely see the jumping into that a little earlier. No idea how long Trent plays for, no idea if McKivitz will actually be any good, etc. 

2 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

A fave TE for me is Dalton Kincaid (whom @Forge will not like because he is age-ist 😝 ) and for EDGE I like Will McDonald IV. Both of which may or may not be there by the time we pick. Will our staff be interested in either one? I have no clue. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Forge said:

Feels like 49er Twitter is really hive minding Blake Freeland. I've seen him show up a lot in my feeds

He looks like a clone of Mike McGlinchey lol. Better athletic testing numbers - Freeland tested like an absolute freak. Better 40" vertical than A.J. Brown. Worse competition by far in college. Blake really struggles with inside counter moves. I think we'll be interested. But there's a strong chance that the combine testing numbers get him drafted higher. I like moving to around 85 with a pair of our spare late round picks to secure a premium target that we've brought in for a visit. Freeland is one of those.

• Like 1

Looks like he will be gone before we pick, but I am digging Siaki Aki out of Baylor.. his biggest knocks seem to be on technique and that he is not at all a pass rusher, but this is the kind of monster, gap eating NT we haven't had in awhile

49 minutes ago, adamq said:

Looks like he will be gone before we pick, but I am digging Siaki Aki out of Baylor.. his biggest knocks seem to be on technique and that he is not at all a pass rusher, but this is the kind of monster, gap eating NT we haven't had in awhile

I'm not sure we spend draft capital on a DT unless Kinlaw is moved off the roster. We have 6 DT on the 90-man right now and we'll probably keep 4 or 5 and another on the PS. 

I think if we do end up getting a rookie DT this year, it will probably be a 6th or 7th round pick or even a UDFA. 

• Like 1