Off-season 2023

textaz03

4 minutes ago, The_Slamman said:

Here’s the plan… tank this year with Nooch.  Trade Dak.  Cut Zeke.  Cut Lewis.  Trade or cut Smith.  We’d have about $23M in cap space.  Multiple first round picks.  

No one will trade for Dak’s contract. That’s the problem. This is why I didn’t want us to re-sign him. You can’t pay that much for a mediocre and generally unproductive player.

5 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

No one will trade for Dak’s contract. That’s the problem. This is why I didn’t want us to re-sign him. You can’t pay that much for a mediocre and generally unproductive player.

Only teams that makes sense off the top of my head would be Seattle who will have a ton of cap space and picks (does Pete want to hope a rookie works out to finish out his career?)

or Detroit, they can dump Goff and make it work. Also have extra picks. Campbell clearly is doing good things culturally up there. But pressure will be on if they remain a plucky team that is in the middle this year. Adding Dak to an offense of Jameson Williams, Amon Ra, Swift, Hockenson and a pretty Solid Oline…I can see them convinced Dak could get them over the top.  

1 hour ago, plan9misfit said:

Probably not getting a first for him because the contract, but I could see a 2nd or a 3rd and change

Trading Dak next year incurs a $58M dead cap hit. Whether you spread it over two years or not it’s kind of a nonstarter. Maybe they avoid restructuring his deal and leave themselves open to a post-June 1 release/trade in ‘24, but I think it’s more likely they extend him again at some point to keep kicking the can. We already went through this with Romo, no reason to think the SOP has changed in Jonesville.

Outside of that, well, I guess you start with dumping Tyron (who should probably just retire), Zeke and Lewis, which gets you into the $30M cap range pending rollover. Of course, we’ve no use for it with how this team handles free agency. Expect us to use it on some glorified placeholders- bet they wanna keep around Schultz, LVE, McGovern.

• Like 1

This franchise is not drafting a Quarterback regardless. So the talk can end there.
I know he was solid last night, but Tyler Smith is still ideally a guard and has an All-Pro ceiling there.

Zack Martin isn’t getting any younger.

I would have my eyes on Paris Johnson and try to create a dominant left side with him next to Smith for the next decade.

Or Jalen Crater because he’s just that freaking good and the defense was way too leaky against the run last night even from the beginning (I.e. - not because they just “wore down.”)
Cutting Zeke will provide lots of cap space since he never should’ve been extended in the first place. 
Gotta hope Tolbert progresses so you have only one WR slot to fill.

TE can be filled on day 2 of the draft. Should be a few good ones.

2 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Sucks to wait this many months only for the season to be effectively over. Only solace I have is that MM will finally be fired. 

Hope they play as many young guys as possible. Get experience. 

It’s weird feeling like an optimist for you guys. It’s perfectly doable for Dak to get back and you guys get a wild card spot, the NFC sucks.

Chances were even with Dak the pre-bye wasn’t going to be very pretty. If the can pull off at least two wins it gives you a shot. Late season rises hasn’t typically been the thing for you guys. But you have 2/3 divisional games at home, play the worst division all in that later span, it’s not that crazy.

13 hours ago, textaz03 said:

Sooooo, is it to early now to start planning for next Offseason?? 

what players we can trade away for picks?

what’s that 2023 CAP space look like? 

what head coach would you like to see? 

let’s start looking at Draft Picks 

While it is so fun to play the rebuilding GM in a game of Madden (I do it often..and btw this years version is garbage)..trading away well paid, good caliber players for multiple picks and nailing 5 or 6 great players with your 9 or 10 draft selections just is not realistic.

In fact. We could trade off Lawrence, Tyron, and Zeke...and whiff on 2 of the 3 picks we get for them. Or end up with 3 decent starters who never really turn into anything close to those caliber of players. Or worse still, end up with a group of Morris Claibornes and Felix Joneses.

Now, if it comes down to trying to trade up for that one player the FO absolutely covets and the trade partner demands a player as part of the deal...sure. Id be game to surrender one of our core guys in hopes of a brighter tomorrow. But its usually not a good thing to give up a known, quality commodity for a PROMISE of something special. 

What this FO needs to do, is something they havent done in a while now - find that player they feel can lift this team over the hurdle, and give up whatever they need to get him. Without, of course, surrendering any of the players that enable them to at least het to the hurdle they are trying to get over. Doing that only leaves you in the same position you began in.

Free agent wise...they need to finally spend some money. Wisely, of course. No overpaying for mediocrity. But no more budget buys at the Family Dollar either. Go out and get that quality interior DL or that big upgrade at center. Pay for it, likely overpay even as that is usual FA stuff, but it needs to be done. As good as this team has been in the first round, with occasional steal in like round 4 or 5. Drafting in those other quality rounds has not been so great. Pay for those positions we keep taking in those rounds and devote some draft resources to positions we often neglect. And dont be afraid to draft players high at positions we already have stars at - injuries happen, large contract demands happen, and historically, those deeper depth charts win championships. Too heavy rosters usually do not.

Oh. And above all else: MAKE SOME MAJOR CHANGES TO THIS COACHING STAFF.

While I love what Dan Quinn has this defense doing, I love Northwesterns Fitzgerald as a coaching option. Brian Flores was a hell of a coach, too.

But preferably, it would be an offensive mind. Someone like Byron Leftwich, or Duce Staley. Or pluck a young, creative mind from college to run the offense (Sonny Cumbie?) And pair them with a good HC option, like Flores, or Fitzgerald, or even our own Dan Quinn.

Edited by Dallas94Ware

Forget about Leftwich. Any coach that is coaching a QB like Rogers or Brady should be dismissed. Obviously Payton in the first choice. We can interview Bienemy and Leftwich because we have to, and only if you don't get Payton do you consider hiring those other guys. 

Dak will be here next year, stop kidding yourselves. They will draft a QB early, but not 1st pick or trade up. It will be another career backup they will try to groom. If they flop again in 23' you let Payton rebuild it. He will get 4 years guaranteed with a fifth year option.

Edited by WheatieMan