Notable Stats

Hunter2_1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Someone has almost certainly done this before, but I plotted team's @ snap motion % from 2023 vs EPA/play. What do you know- there is a really positive correlation between high usage of motion at the snap and successful offenses. 

Of the 8 teams that used motion at the snap on 25% or more of their snaps, only 1 had an EPA/play under 0.03. Of the other 24 teams that use motion at the snap on less than 25% of their snaps, there seems to be no correlation to offensive success.

I feel like it is relatively safe to say that using a very high rate of motion at the snap is a strong contributing factor to a good offense. It passes the eye test too- the teams that are using motion at a high rate are the ones that you would view as having (had) great offensive minds leading them (in 2023, at the very least). The top 8, in order, are the Dolphins, Rams, 49ers, Packers, Lions, Ravens, Seahawks, and Chargers. The top 4 teams there were especially high in their usage- 68.2%, 44.1%, 37.7%, and 36.3% respectively for MIA, LAR, SF, and GB. 5th place drops to 28.9%.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Someone has almost certainly done this before, but I plotted team's @ snap motion % from 2023 vs EPA/play. What do you know- there is a really positive correlation between high usage of motion at the snap and successful offenses. 

Of the 8 teams that used motion at the snap on 25% or more of their snaps, only 1 had an EPA/play under 0.03. Of the other 24 teams that use motion at the snap on less than 25% of their snaps, there seems to be no correlation to offensive success.

I feel like it is relatively safe to say that using a very high rate of motion at the snap is a strong contributing factor to a good offense. It passes the eye test too- the teams that are using motion at a high rate are the ones that you would view as having (had) great offensive minds leading them (in 2023, at the very least). The top 8, in order, are the Dolphins, Rams, 49ers, Packers, Lions, Ravens, Seahawks, and Chargers. The top 4 teams there were especially high in their usage- 68.2%, 44.1%, 37.7%, and 36.3% respectively for MIA, LAR, SF, and GB. 5th place drops to 28.9%.

Yeah it seems there’s always a positive correlation between PSM and offensive production. Same with play action. 

I’m pretty sure NE were dead last in motion last season (or season before). And yeah, the offense is a train wreck fire. I’m assuming lowest 5 in motion are 5 of the worst offenses

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Yeah it seems there’s always a positive correlation between PSM and offensive production. Same with play action. 

I’m pretty sure NE were dead last in motion last season (or season before). And yeah, the offense is a train wreck fire. I’m assuming lowest 5 in motion are 5 of the worst offenses

NE was middle of the pack in at snap motion % (19th, 17.8%) but 31st in EPA/play. 

The correlation does not exist if you exclude those top 8 teams in at snap motion percentage, which is interesting.

Bottom 5 teams of at snap motion percentage and their rank in EPA/play:

TB- 12.8% motion, 12th EPA/play

WAS- 12.7% motion, 25th EPA/play

ARI- 12.6% motion, 22nd EPA/play

CLE- 12.4% motion, 28th EPA/play

PHI- 10.9% motion, 7th EPA/play

Philly specifically is an interesting case. I think they were dead last in both motion at the snap and pre-snap motion in general, and they still finished as a top-10 offense in EPA.

I don't feel like going through the trouble of turning the graph I generated into an image and hosting it somewhere to be able to share it, but the left side of the graph is a quintessential example of "no correlation". You can't just exclude a quarter of your data, so there is still a positive correlation overall, but it's worth noting.

Important to note this is strictly motion AT the snap of the ball, not all pre-snap motion.

• Like 1

two wild stats about a talented QB:

Trevor Lawrence is 1-18 when his defense doesn’t record a takeaway

1-18 (.053)!!!

WORST record for any QB

Lawrence has also LOST 21 fumbles the last 3 seasons

WORST in the NFL

(no other QB even has 15, let alone over 20)

MUST fix this

• Like 3

On 8/30/2024 at 1:17 PM, Hunter2_1 said:

two wild stats about a talented QB:

Trevor Lawrence is 1-18 when his defense doesn’t record a takeaway

1-18 (.053)!!!

WORST record for any QB

Lawrence has also LOST 21 fumbles the last 3 seasons

WORST in the NFL

(no other QB even has 15, let alone over 20)

MUST fix this

That's very interesting; do you have the first stat for other QBs?