Mathis gone for the season

Thaiphoon

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

I would just guess that this isn't a simple meniscus because if it was he could be back by mid season.  The problem is that this happened so early in the season that not only do we not know if he is healthy, we also don't know if he can play.  So after year 3 of our "rebuild", the position of strongest depth now needs a rebuild.

I think they know he can play. One of the reasons they felt comfortable moving on from Ioannidis - which I didn’t & never will agree with - is because they knew what they had in Mathis as an all around DT & in Wise as an interior pass rusher. What’s sucked is Mathis got hurt & now Wise has an ankle injury. Seems like Karma.

20 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I think they know he can play. One of the reasons they felt comfortable moving on from Ioannidis - which I didn’t & never will agree with - is because they knew what they had in Mathis as an all around DT & in Wise as an interior pass rusher. What’s sucked is Mathis got hurt & now Wise has an ankle injury. Seems like Karma.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/commanders-matthew-ioannidis-release-incoming/

Commanders' Matthew Ioannidis: Release incoming

By RotoWire Staff
Mar 16, 2022 at 12:19 pm ET 1 min read

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_NFL_Draft

The 2022 NFL Draft was the 87th edition of the National Football League's annual draft and was held from April 28–30, 2022, at the Caesars Forum on the Las Vegas Strip in Paradise, Nevada.

They had no idea that they would be able to get Mathis (or any other specific DT) when they released Ioannidis.

As for Wise, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Wise_(American_football)

On January 12, 2021, Wise signed a reserve/futures contract with the Washington Football Team.[7] He was released on August 31, 2021,[8] but re-signed to the practice squad the following day.[9] He was elevated to the active roster for the team's Week 3 game against the Buffalo Bills, and reverted back to the practice squad following the game.[10] Washington signed Wise to their active roster on November 16, 2021.[11] He suffered a knee injury in Week 15 and was placed on injured reserve on December 24.[12]

Wise re-signed with the team on March 17, 2022.

He was what they planned to replace Ioannidis with. Not Mathis.

Of course, if moving on from Ioannidis was the plan, they could have released him and re-signed Tim Settle. But neither Settle nor Ioannidis were Rivera picks nor had any ties to the Carolina Panthers, so out the door they went.

Pure hubris and shortsightedness from Rivera and the poodles took a strength of the team and turned it into a glaring weakness in the span of seven months.

3 hours ago, Woz said:

Pure hubris and shortsightedness from Rivera and the poodles took a strength of the team and turned it into a glaring weakness in the span of seven months.

Exactly.  The reason for not having the cap space to fit them and other important veteran depth pieces?  Not wanting to commit fully to Carson Wentz.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Woz said:

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/commanders-matthew-ioannidis-release-incoming/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_NFL_Draft

They had no idea that they would be able to get Mathis (or any other specific DT) when they released Ioannidis.

As for Wise, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Wise_(American_football)

He was what they planned to replace Ioannidis with. Not Mathis.

Of course, if moving on from Ioannidis was the plan, they could have released him and re-signed Tim Settle. But neither Settle nor Ioannidis were Rivera picks nor had any ties to the Carolina Panthers, so out the door they went.

I don’t think Settle had any plans to re-sign in Washington bc he was always our 4th DT. He didn’t play much unless there were injuries.

Totally true on the rest.

11 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t think Settle had any plans to re-sign in Washington bc he was always our 4th DT. He didn’t play much unless there were injuries.

Totally true on the rest.

Perhaps. I don't think they really tried to keep him, though.

They also have $1.5M in dead cap from cutting Ioannidis. He might not have been worth his $7.5M overall cap number, but I suspect they would rather have him now as opposed to having to scramble for backup tackles.

Realistically, given that they hadn't really made a move to extend Payne, they either had to invest in Settle, keep Ioannidis, or draft Payne's replacement. So they went with option #3 ... only to watch it blow up in their face when Mathis blew up his knee.

Now they have to either massively overpay Payne for a season to make sure Mathis is back, gamble that the kid can recover quickly enough to be a starter next year, or find some other tackle to cover for Mathis for a year (and realistically only get two rookie years out of Mathis).

At this point, I think the Commanders should just trade out of the second every single year. It never works out for them.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

For all us that think we should have keep one or both Settle and or Ionnidis. I checked their stats from yesterday. Settle, one asst. tackle, The Greek, one solo for a loss. 

This has nothing to do with what they would've done here though. I'd still rather have them than nothing at all. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

This has nothing to do with what they would've done here though. I'd still rather have them than nothing at all. 

Agree, losing Mathis REALLY hurts. I think he would have been a positive factor for the Dline. Seemed very physical .

• Like 1

I still don't hate the idea behind moving on from Ioannidis and Settle. Ioannidis didn't seem to recover from his injuries and wasn't providing much based on the salary he was getting.  Settle was solid for a 4th on the depth chart guy at DT but was about to get more expensive, so wasn't worth retaining IMO (and is likely overrated by some of the local VT fans that are Washington fans). So IMO, the front office saying hey we should consider upgrading the DT depth this offseason was not a bad decision. They executed this plan by spending a 2nd round draft pick to bring in a premium young player to rotate in and contribute snaps. His injury sucks but couldn't have been predicted by the staff. Our 4th DT is now John Ridgeway, who is a rookie 5th round pick, the same round Tim Settle was drafted in. He's a perfectly acceptable and cheap option as the 4th DT. 

The real question to me is the allocation of a 2nd round pick to upgrade the DT depth vs. addressing the offensive line. They went FA for 2 Guards and 2nd round pick for DT. Considering we now know Mathis would be injured, a 2nd round Guard sounds pretty enticing right now. But its possible that pitching a FA DT to be a backup in a rotation is a lot harder sell than pitching a FA Guard to come start for you. The 2nd round DT also gives you Payne leaves insurance next year. That being said, a solid FA addition at DT, just one of the FA guards we signed plus a 2nd round talent at say LG was probably the better move. The oline has been basically ignored early in the draft other than Cosmi for 3 straight years and that is just a losing strategy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

I still don't hate the idea behind moving on from Ioannidis and Settle. Ioannidis didn't seem to recover from his injuries and wasn't providing much based on the salary he was getting. 

Been saying that from the start. Agreed.

Settle was solid for a 4th on the depth chart guy at DT but was about to get more expensive, so wasn't worth retaining IMO (and is likely overrated by some of the local VT fans that are Washington fans).

Maybe. His contract he just signed is definitely more than some people seem to be remembering. 

So IMO, the front office saying hey we should consider upgrading the DT depth this offseason was not a bad decision. They executed this plan by spending a 2nd round draft pick to bring in a premium young player to rotate in and contribute snaps. His injury sucks but couldn't have been predicted by the staff.

That seems to not matter for whatever reason. 

Our 4th DT is now John Ridgeway, who is a rookie 5th round pick, the same round Tim Settle was drafted in. He's a perfectly acceptable and cheap option as the 4th DT. 

This guy could be a coup. 

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I still don't hate the idea behind moving on from Ioannidis and Settle. Ioannidis didn't seem to recover from his injuries and wasn't providing much based on the salary he was getting.  Settle was solid for a 4th on the depth chart guy at DT but was about to get more expensive, so wasn't worth retaining IMO (and is likely overrated by some of the local VT fans that are Washington fans). So IMO, the front office saying hey we should consider upgrading the DT depth this offseason was not a bad decision. They executed this plan by spending a 2nd round draft pick to bring in a premium young player to rotate in and contribute snaps. His injury sucks but couldn't have been predicted by the staff. Our 4th DT is now John Ridgeway, who is a rookie 5th round pick, the same round Tim Settle was drafted in. He's a perfectly acceptable and cheap option as the 4th DT. 

The real question to me is the allocation of a 2nd round pick to upgrade the DT depth vs. addressing the offensive line. They went FA for 2 Guards and 2nd round pick for DT. Considering we now know Mathis would be injured, a 2nd round Guard sounds pretty enticing right now. But its possible that pitching a FA DT to be a backup in a rotation is a lot harder sell than pitching a FA Guard to come start for you. The 2nd round DT also gives you Payne leaves insurance next year. That being said, a solid FA addition at DT, just one of the FA guards we signed plus a 2nd round talent at say LG was probably the better move. The oline has been basically ignored early in the draft other than Cosmi for 3 straight years and that is just a losing strategy. 

Settle has a 2.6 million cap hit with Bills this year and a 5M next year.  Peanuts.  The big question I have is why they didn't extend payne if they let them both go.  Bad roster management long term even if you draft a guy.

I do like Ridgeway as a prospect and that was a good pick up.

1 minute ago, offbyone said:

Settle has a 2.6 million cap hit with Bills this year and a 5M next year.  Peanuts.  The big question I have is why they didn't extend payne if they let them both go.  Bad roster management long term even if you draft a guy.

I do like Ridgeway as a prospect and that was a good pick up.

That isn’t peanuts for a 4th DT. 

On 9/26/2022 at 10:06 AM, RSkinGM said:

For all us that think we should have keep one or both Settle and or Ionnidis. I checked their stats from yesterday. Settle, one asst. tackle, The Greek, one solo for a loss. 

It’s about the rotation. Even if they don’t put up much stats, they give you quality snaps which give Allen & Payne some rest so they’re more fresh in the 4th Q.