Scouting the NFL 2023 Draft Prospects

KingTitan

13 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

He will absolutely not be available at pick 10. We would have to trade up for him.

Probably. And that’s probably not a recipe for immediate success with the other issues we have on offense.

5 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

if there's any QB i could see having a surprising fall, it's young because of the size concerns. but even with him it feels impossible to imagine him getting out of the top 10, or even near there. a surprising fall for young would be going at 4 instead of 1 lol.

I would agree, but if the draft community is any indication, people don’t seem very concerned with his size.

Frankly, I’ll be surprised if either one gets very far past pick number 5.

If we feel like Young or Stroud are attainable, we gotta go for it if we think one of them is a Franchise guy. I think 2 or 3 is the sweet spot. I think we'd have to get ahead of Indy. Dealing with Bryce Young, Stroud, and Lawrence in the division for the next 15+ years does not sound like fun. 

I've gone on record saying that I want us to go LT, but if we're within striking distance to move up for Young or Stroud I think you have to pull the trigger there. It's hard to see us completely bottoming out again under Vrabel and being in a range to grab a QB in 2024 unless we intentionally tank (which I don't see Vrabel or Amy being on board with.) 

I'm not worried about Bryce Young size wise, but I really hope other teams are lol. His processing is elite, and he can make every throw. I think he could be a really special QB.

Stroud I've been on the fence about, but last night opened my eyes to what he could do which is a scary game to play. It's great that he raised his game in the big moment, but where has that been throughout his college career? All the tools are there to work with and seeing him against Georgia I'm sure just made him a lot of money, because he's going to be really hard for a QB needy team to pass up. The lack of consistency and lack of taking over a game like he did last night against Georgia is a concern, but man if whatever team drafts him gets that guy from last night, look out.

I know nobody likes him. 

But I'm looking at all the QBs. 

Anthony Richardson. Again I know people don't like him. 

I'm looking at the skills and he has a great arm. Good touch. Mechanics are a lot better than I expected. A better runner than Malik. 

I know they are compared. But I think Richardson is further along. Played in the SEC had great moments and terrible moments. 

I see some Cam Newton and RG3 to him. 

Have to dig deeper to see if the talent at Florida was up to par. Seem like lately their guys have been better pros than college guyS or underperformed Example: Damion Pierce, Kyle Pitts and Kadarius Toney. 

Pitts should have been breaking records. 

I'm trying to see the positives in him. And most everyone will rip him. But he is on the table of discussion. 

• Like 1

This is going to sound like I am being a smarta$!...but I truly am not. I see a ton of people on here have strong opinions about QB's...dude's trash, horrible, want no part of this guy or that guy...what is you alls history with seeing the good guys that hit? I think everyone can see the Lucks, Mannings, Burrows and guys like that...but were some of you guys on the Mahomes, Russell Wilson, Herbert, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson guys, because those are not guys I heard a ton of people clamoring for. Honestly I am not one to spend a ton of time evaluating guys so I would not have predicted any of them to be franchise guys, and hadn't heard of most of them until the draft lead up. Another admission, I never thought Watson or Lawrence would be anything since they had so much talent around them, and thought Mariota and Winston would be franchise guys, so you can see my hit/miss rate is about as low as the average NFL GM!

I ask because I just don't see it in Stroud but many seem to think he is a no brainer, some want the USC QB next year, some say no way. I just can't see having a definitive opinion on a QB in most cases since guys are always running wide open. I rarely see  college QB's throw guys open or make the tight window NFL level back shoulder dime.

I think of Justin Fields, Dwayne Haskins and think that is a system that makes the QB not the QB making the system. Joe Burrow the opposite is true, the first game I saw him play the year he was drafted it was obvious he was elite and nearly a can't miss. All this to say what is it about these guys like Levis, Richardson, Stroud that make them draftable vs trash. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Dr.Doom52 said:

This is going to sound like I am being a smarta$!...but I truly am not. I see a ton of people on here have strong opinions about QB's...dude's trash, horrible, want no part of this guy or that guy...what is you alls history with seeing the good guys that hit? I think everyone can see the Lucks, Mannings, Burrows and guys like that...but were some of you guys on the Mahomes, Russell Wilson, Herbert, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson guys, because those are not guys I heard a ton of people clamoring for. Honestly I am not one to spend a ton of time evaluating guys so I would not have predicted any of them to be franchise guys, and hadn't heard of most of them until the draft lead up. Another admission, I never thought Watson or Lawrence would be anything since they had so much talent around them, and thought Mariota and Winston would be franchise guys, so you can see my hit/miss rate is about as low as the average NFL GM!

I ask because I just don't see it in Stroud but many seem to think he is a no brainer, some want the USC QB next year, some say no way. I just can't see having a definitive opinion on a QB in most cases since guys are always running wide open. I rarely see  college QB's throw guys open or make the tight window NFL level back shoulder dime.

I think of Justin Fields, Dwayne Haskins and think that is a system that makes the QB not the QB making the system. Joe Burrow the opposite is true, the first game I saw him play the year he was drafted it was obvious he was elite and nearly a can't miss. All this to say what is it about these guys like Levis, Richardson, Stroud that make them draftable vs trash. 

Bingo bang-o

you have your “sure thing” guys like Manning and Luck

the rest is a total crap shoot 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dr.Doom52 said:

Perfectly said. 

For a guy that loved Omar Jacobs. Ricky Stanzi, Connor Cook, Brett Hundley, and Blake Bortles coming out.

But also liked Derek Carr, Jimmy G, Colin Kaepernick, Andy Dalton and Jay Cutler. 

What I try to look at now is who has the skills to translate to the NFL game. So many thought Herbert wouldn't translate because of Oregon's system. So I try to look at skills. 

Not numbers. Not even total game performances. But the skills. 

Someone like Caleb Williams,or others in these spread systems are throwing to guys wide open. Behind offensive lines that are often times better than anything their opponents will ever out against them and they have 5 seconds to throw the ball. 

They don't get touched all game. 

Or they throw these bubble screens and guys running for 80 yards causing inflated numbers. 

Now a days  I try to look for guys that have to think on the field. Or have tools that can translate to the NFL. Arm strength. Anticipation. Touch. Ability to throw on the run. Take snaps under center. Can turn back to defense and still make a pass. 

• Like 2

I think the #1 thing I would like our next QB to have is pocket awareness, I never thought Marcus had enough, doesn't seem like Tanny or Willis have any. 

This draft I don't care who we take they just have to be safe...no more looking at upside and ceiling. I want the guy who's floor is 10 year NFL starter, at nearly any position...we can basically use anything!!

• Like 1

I'm out on guys like Richardson for us, because number one I don't see our offensive staff having the goods to be able to develop a guy like that and put him in the best position to succeed (see: Malik Willis). The other thing is I'm just over us going after these super athletic guys that are electric and can do a lot with their feet, but they're not natural pocket passers.

We have gone through so many of those types of guys as a Franchise, and for once I'd like to try to build around a guy that can win from the pocket with his arm and has that natural pocket awareness/timing part down to keep an offense on schedule. 

I love the idea of Bryce Young or Stroud, because both of those guys have shown a consistent ability to be able to win from the pocket, make all the throws, but still have enough mobility to get out of trouble if they need to which is exactly the type of QB this team needs.

No more super athletic project QBs. I'm over it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

I'm out on guys like Richardson for us, because number one I don't see our offensive staff having the goods to be able to develop a guy like that and put him in the best position to succeed (see: Malik Willis). The other thing is I'm just over us going after these super athletic guys that are electric and can do a lot with their feet, but they're not natural pocket passers.

We have gone through so many of those types of guys as a Franchise, and for once I'd like to try to build around a guy that can win from the pocket with his arm and has that natural pocket awareness/timing part down to keep an offense on schedule. 

I love the idea of Bryce Young or Stroud, because both of those guys have shown a consistent ability to be able to win from the pocket, make all the throws, but still have enough mobility to get out of trouble if they need to which is exactly the type of QB this team needs.

No more super athletic project QBs. I'm over it.

For these reasons, Tanner McKee and Hendon Hooker intrigue me in the 2nd.

No interest in the QBs past Young/Stroud/Levis, and Young is the only one I'm really sold on. I think Stroud ends up in the Tannehill/Cousins range of QBs, but that's good enough to win it all if you assemble the right team around them. Levis is just boom or bust. Looks like Carson Wentz if he ran like Josh Allen, but at one point Wentz was considered the best young QB. 

Wouldn't touch Richardson with Mike Vrabel. Not exactly the QB you want in the prevent offense we run at times. 

Edited by TitanSS