Week #3 GDT: Raiders @ Titans: No Polls, No Frills, Just Holes to Fill

ronjon1990

26 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

It's only week 3 and we're gonna bench Carr for Stidham 😂. The narrative pushers are out 2 games into the season. Comedy.

Just have to win.  If they don't win it will only get worse.

I'm going to play devil's advocate and be positive.  The team is going to do whatever it takes to win this game and then start stacking wins.  I still see our schedule being able to produce 10-14 wins.  They just have to do it and not shoot themselves in the foot. 

Edited by true2form
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

It's only week 3 and we're gonna bench Carr for Stidham 😂. The narrative pushers are out 2 games into the season. Comedy.

Exactly, flat out insanity.  We are two games into a 17 game season and should be 1 and 1 if not for an unfortunate fumble by a solid player.  

We have a new HC, new coordinators, many new players at key positions and fans think this should be a well oiled machine right out of the gate.  

I've heard it all, fire JM and DZ, bench Carr for Stidham, Jones is washed and now is a bum.  All massive overreactions as it is very clear that many fans overestimated the talent of this fraud playoff team from last season which is one of the main reasons that JM and DZ came in and cleaned house. They knew exactly what we had talent wise going into the offseason which was not much.  

This season is far from over and even though this team is still talent and depth depleted this is the best overall roster we have had in 20 years.  It will take time to start hitting on all cylinders and I am pretty confidant that we will beat the Titans this week.  

If this team misses the playoffs this year do I consider that a down season?  I will have to wait until the end of the season to reserve judgment on the players and staff as there will need to be context as to why we missed it.  II had a feeling we would start out slow, which we have done but catch fire soon which I believe will happen, all of this doom and gloom **** will be a moot point. 

10 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Exactly, flat out insanity.  We are two games into a 17 game season and should be 1 and 1 if not for an unfortunate fumble by a solid player.  

We have a new HC, new coordinators, many new players at key positions and fans think this should be a well oiled machine right out of the gate.  

I've heard it all, fire JM and DZ, bench Carr for Stidham, Jones is washed and now is a bum.  All massive overreactions as it is very clear that many fans overestimated the talent of this fraud playoff team from last season which is one of the main reasons that JM and DZ came in and cleaned house. They knew exactly what we had talent wise going into the offseason which was not much.  

This season is far from over and even though this team is still talent and depth depleted this is the best overall roster we have had in 20 years.  It will take time to start hitting on all cylinders and I am pretty confidant that we will beat the Titans this week.  

If this team misses the playoffs this year do I consider that a down season?  I will have to wait until the end of the season to reserve judgment on the players and staff as there will need to be context as to why we missed it.  II had a feeling we would start out slow, which we have done but catch fire soon which I believe will happen, all of this doom and gloom **** will be a moot point. 

We’re not the only team with a new coaching staff. But imo we’re the only team that doesn’t look prepared for the season. 

38 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

This is exactly what I have been saying all off-season and why I was disappointed with how the new FO handled the off-season.  We went all in giving ourselves a 3 year window with the assumption that we where a playoff level team from the year before.  We stumbled into the playoff and got lucky. 

25 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

We’re not the only team with a new coaching staff. But imo we’re the only team that doesn’t look prepared for the season. 

Now the talk of replacing people in week 3 is a bit premature but if we fall flat on our faces and the season is lost I would like to see someone else get a shot at QB just to gauge Carr's performance in the system and with the players currently on the roster.

34 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

This is exactly what I have been saying all off-season and why I was disappointed with how the new FO handled the off-season.  We went all in giving ourselves a 3 year window with the assumption that we where a playoff level team from the year before.  We stumbled into the playoff and got lucky. 

Now the talk of replacing people in week 3 is a bit premature but if we fall flat on our faces and the season is lost I would like to see someone else get a shot at QB just to gauge Carr's performance in the system and with the players currently on the roster.

I wasn't a huge fan of signing guys in their early 30's to massive deals but I also see the theory of what they are trying to accomplish.  We had a team devoid of talent, that was very clear to anyone who objectively looked at this roster but I also understand coming in as a HC/GM and wanting to win now which is what they are striving for.  We had a massive amount of turnover on the roster and to expect all of these new players gelling game 1 is unrealistic, however with the influx of proven talent we have received (Adams, Jones) with the quality core players that were retained (Carr, Jacobs, Maxx, Waller, Renfrom, Moehrig, Miller) we should have a competitive team.  

6 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Bengals have a new coaching staff? I don’t watch them

honestly do you think we look prepared for the season?

The Bengals don't have a new coaching staff.  My point is you're blaming the staff when our struggles are much more dynamic than the lazy argument that it's solely on the staff.  We have had a ton of roster turnover, a new system combined with a new staff. It's not rocket science as to why we are starting slow, does is suck yes but I am not shocked.

Edited by Frankie2Gunz
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

A brilliant play caller as HC absolutely needs someone nearly equally as brilliant handling the other side of the ball and/or an ability to delegate responsibility even on their side of the ball. 

Arians had Leftwich and Bowles. Bowles now has Leftwich and Kacey Rodgers who is no slouch. 

Shanahan has had McDaniel and Saleh/Ryans.

McVay has had O'Connell/Taylor and Phillips/Staley/Morris. 

Payton had a whole host of very top notch coordinators. 

I don't mean to say exceptions don't exist (Bill Belichick) but there's a huge difference between a great coordinator and being a head coach. Many great coordinators make bad HCs. Some great HCs don't move the needle much as coordinators.

All those guys you mentioned started out as nobodies. Their status was elevated by their teams winning games. They won games, because they are loaded with talent.

3 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Nobody is doubting he isn’t a respected play caller. For me it’s if he can lead a group of men. That didn’t work out in Denver so it’s yet to be decided. Calling plays is one thing but being a great leader is another. Personally I preferred being a dc than a hc/dc. Very difficult to oversee everything as an hc but still dedicate the time needed to be a dc. Imo he seems like 70% oc 30% hc

In today's NFL, if you want the great play caller, you have to make them HC. He's checked all the boxes for me as a leader thus far. Took responsibility for the let down last week. Seems confident going into week 3. Compare that to the Gruden era finger pointing every week.

Josh hired good people. The foundation is there and the wins will start coming. They need more talent which will take time to acquire. 

• Like 2