Jimmy Garoppolo V Kirk Cousins

mdonnelly21

Better QB  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Better QB

• Jimmy Garoppolo
    • Kirk Cousins

On 9/25/2022 at 11:21 PM, Forge said:

Jimmy legit seems to be getting worse with each passing year. In 2019, I thought he was a 12-15 guy, in 2021 I thought he was a 17-21 type guy, and at this point I'm wondering if he's a top twenty guy. Maybe he's shaking off rust, I dunno

He's not. Shanahan makes qb's look better. Cousins would look great in SF IMHO.

Kirk Cousins is right there alongside Tony Romo as the most under appreciated QBs I've ever seen. I'm not even down on Jimmy, but comparing Kirk to him is an insult in every respect. Cousins is more productive, better rated, has a worse team year in year out, and never gets injured.

The only knock on Cousins is his primetime/big game record. But that's about perception and bad luck as much as anything else.

On 9/28/2022 at 9:39 PM, ChazStandard said:

Kirk Cousins is right there alongside Tony Romo as the most under appreciated QBs I've ever seen. I'm not even down on Jimmy, but comparing Kirk to him is an insult in every respect. Cousins is more productive, better rated, has a worse team year in year out, and never gets injured.

The only knock on Cousins is his primetime/big game record. But that's about perception and bad luck as much as anything else.

Ehhhh, I mean when you go 2-10 on MNF with your only wins coming against the Bears something funky is going on as much as the QB win/loss argument is just a giant pitfall. But I don't know, maybe a few others were close score games. Some guys though just like in all sports go into another gear in big pressure situations. It's why Joe and Tom are legends in that regard, and someone like Danny White ain't. Actually Cousins reminds me of Danny White...or Mark Brunell. Good, sometimes great QB that can hang with the other top dogs, but flounders in bigger moments. 

On 9/28/2022 at 3:30 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

He's not. Shanahan makes qb's look better. Cousins would look great in SF IMHO.

This claim is blatantly false. Shanahan is 8-28 when Jimmy does not start.

Please do some research and fact checking before making a claim, ok?

16 minutes ago, biggie. said:

This claim is blatantly false. Shanahan is 8-28 when Jimmy does not start.

Please do some research and fact checking before making a claim, ok?

I'm sure that has nothing to do with the QBs starting in Garoppolo's absence was an assortment of CJ Beathard, Nick Mullens and Brian Hoyer, of which only Nick Mullens has a claim to be a top 50 QB.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, HerbertGOAT said:

I'm sure that has nothing to do with the QBs starting in Garoppolo's absence was an assortment of CJ Beathard, Nick Mullens and Brian Hoyer, of which only Nick Mullens has a claim to be a top 50 QB.

The claim is that Kyle Shanahan "makes QBs look better". The fact check debunks that claim; quarterbacks very rarely improve under him.

In fact, when we inlcude Shanahan's time as an OC, his resume remains unimpressive.

Texans (08-09): Matt Schaub remained productive 2010-2012 and made the playoffs in 2012.

Redskins (10-13):

-10: Donovan McNabb was benched. He regressed in his first year without Andy Reid.
-11: Grossman remained one of the worst QB's in the league; he did not improve under Shanahan.
-12: Caught lightning in a bottle with RG3.
-13: RG3 regressed and Kirk Cousins did not look good in relief. Cousins, however, become a highly productive QB AFTER Shanahan left.

Browns (14): Had a decent stretch at times with Brian Hoyer, but overall it was a dud.

Falcons (15-16): Matt Ryan won MVP in 2016. However, he was a highly productive QB YEARS before Shanahan arrived.

There is zero evidence that Shanahan is a QB whisperer; all he has is the one year with RG3 and Matt Ryan's MVP run. On the contrary, he has a very poor track record and remains one of the most overrated coaches in the league. I suspect he is only held to a higher light because of his last name.

Edited by biggie.

4 hours ago, biggie. said:

The claim is that Kyle Shanahan "makes QBs look better". The fact check debunks that claim; quarterbacks very rarely improve under him.

In fact, when we inlcude Shanahan's time as an OC, his resume remains unimpressive.

Texans (08-09): Matt Schaub remained productive 2010-2012 and made the playoffs in 2012.

Redskins (10-13):

-10: Donovan McNabb was benched. He regressed in his first year without Andy Reid.
-11: Grossman remained one of the worst QB's in the league; he did not improve under Shanahan.
-12: Caught lightning in a bottle with RG3.
-13: RG3 regressed and Kirk Cousins did not look good in relief. Cousins, however, become a highly productive QB AFTER Shanahan left.

Browns (14): Had a decent stretch at times with Brian Hoyer, but overall it was a dud.

Falcons (15-16): Matt Ryan won MVP in 2016. However, he was a highly productive QB YEARS before Shanahan arrived.

There is zero evidence that Shanahan is a QB whisperer; all he has is the one year with RG3 and Matt Ryan's MVP run. On the contrary, he has a very poor track record and remains one of the most overrated coaches in the league. I suspect he is only held to a higher light because of his last name.

He orchestrates an excellent run game and designed YAC plays that literally require hitting open targets and making quick throws. But i'll take your word for it.

On 9/25/2022 at 11:21 PM, Forge said:

Jimmy legit seems to be getting worse with each passing year. In 2019, I thought he was a 12-15 guy, in 2021 I thought he was a 17-21 type guy, and at this point I'm wondering if he's a top twenty guy. Maybe he's shaking off rust, I dunno

I'm not a 49ers fan but yea I kind of agree...   I think after the Super Bowl he has slowly regressed and this year he has looked pretty terrible.  Last year he had his moments of bad but usually was consistently average.

• Like 1