Week 4: Patriots @ Packers (4:25 ET on CBS) - PG: Packers WIN 27-24 in OT; Move to 3-1!

FAH1223

4 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

same was true of the bears game, and they got absolutely worked.  Difference is that Bears had a good running game.

So my point stands - bad run D vs good run O.

Not sure I agree the Packers got worked vs the Bears with the run game as you suggest.  It was basically 1 series later in the game where the Packers where in control of the game.  Thinking the Packers were more interested in keeping the clock running and staying away from the big strike pass td play.    FG was correct the Packers shut down TB's run game big time.  It should be very interesting seeing what the defensive game plan will be this Sunday.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

this is a stop the run game week.  2 very solid backs.

GB is the worst D against the run thus far, but they haven't tried to stop it.

Time to see if they can.

what metric has us as worst run d in the league?  Looks like the Pack are 18th from what I'm seeing.  

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

same was true of the bears game, and they got absolutely worked.  Difference is that Bears had a good running game.

So my point stands - bad run D vs good run O.

The Bears had one great drive in which we had poor personnel on the field for run d, then they went to a hurry-up offense to keep said personnel on the field. 

Edited by Sandy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, deltarich87 said:

Looks like Watson is trending towards playing. Upgraded from Limited to Full Participation today. Jaire didn't practice, but that's not too surprising. I'd expect him to miss this week but the fact that he got even some work in yesterday is encouraging. At the very least, appears it's likely a low grade groin strain

Thanks for injury report, delta.  Nice that Watson is back to full.  Agree, Jaire will miss game, but doesn't sound like anything long-term.  

1 hour ago, Sandy said:

The Bears had one great drive in which we had poor personnel on the field for run d, then they went to a hurry-up offense to keep said personnel on the field. 

1. I've heard reference to this.  What were the poor personnel?  Were we still in 3-DL set?  Even with Clark out, I'd otherwise think that Lowry-Slaton-Reed shouldn't be that bad?  Or was that also a set where Tipa was in, too?  
  2. I think they were pretty aware of Fields' running threat.  That obviously doesn't translate to Brady or Jones or Hoyer.  I think the run defense can change game to game, so I'm not sure the Bears drive is super predictive.. 
  3. I also think that week by week, Quay is getting a little more comfortable.  
  4. Often I think teams can defend run when they prioritize doing so.   But yeah, I'd have thought that would be a priority versus Bears, and it still wasn't good.  So who knows.  

On 9/28/2022 at 7:49 PM, MantyWrestler said:

Plus, as CB-4 he would need to play some special teams. Did he ever do that when he was here?

He did last year, and from what I remember, he was pretty good when doing so.  Like, at least there was effort there and he was down the field quickly.

6 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

what's my agenda?

Btw, metric is run defense DVOA; 1st vs 32nd.

Many of us go more by the eye test.  Each game is different and conditions in a game are all different.  I don't get to worked up by stats .. get more worked up by wins and losses.

3 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Many of us go more by the eye test.  Each game is different and conditions in a game are all different.  I don't get to worked up by stats .. get more worked up by wins and losses.

going by the eye test, this is the worst run defense of any contending team the last 10 years.  Consistently embarrassed by teams that can run the ball well and don't resort to passing the ball if it isn't a winning proposition.  Since capers.

If you watch NE this year.  Their passing game is in shambles.  The only thing the Packers have to do is hold up vs the run against 2 pretty good backs and a decent O-line and a coach who is willing to go an entire game with <10 pass attempts if it's a winning strategy.

Packers don't even have to be excellent vs the run, just decent and they should get out with a win.

16 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

going by the eye test, this is the worst run defense of any contending team the last 10 years.  Consistently embarrassed by teams that can run the ball well and don't resort to passing the ball if it isn't a winning proposition.  Since capers.

If you watch NE this year.  Their passing game is in shambles.  The only thing the Packers have to do is hold up vs the run against 2 pretty good backs and a decent O-line and a coach who is willing to go an entire game with <10 pass attempts if it's a winning strategy.

Packers don't even have to be excellent vs the run, just decent and they should get out with a win.

If 32 carries for 125 yards to Cook and Fournette is the worst run D you've seen in the last 10 years among contenders, might be time to see an optometrist.

Bears caught us in nickel in the 4th Q and had 94 yards on 8 carries. Take out that series and we've allowed 247 yards on 59 carries. 4.18 ypc. Not exactly amazing, but that's tied for 12th in the league. You're being real over-dramatic.