Trevor Lawrence has arrived

notthatbluestuff

7 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

He made one horrendous throw. Did he throw a couple balls high? Absolutely. He also had 7 dropped passes. He was too aggressive instead of taking the short underneath stuff. Like I said before, this isn’t the first time he’s struggled against Tampa 2 and won’t be the last. He was a top 7 QB analytically before the downpour in Philly. He will be ok.

5 teams have played the Texans. Only one of their opposing QB’s was as bad as Lawrence and it was Fields. This includes opposing QB’s like Ryan and Wilson who have been sucking this year and been massive disappointments. So the only QB you can argue did worse against them is also playing like crap. And the Texans haven’t exactly been playing quality QB’s this year outside of Herbert. So Lawrence being at the bottom is an indictment on him and his play. 

I’ll say it again for those in the back. If Lawrence was objectively evaluated outside of the draft hype he’d be viewed the same way Wilson was and we’d be worrying about an imminent bust scenario. Because of his hype he’s getting a ton of excuses and one or two decent games are being used as evidence of some major turnaround. 

He’s a massive disappointment at this point by any standards.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

He made one horrendous throw. Did he throw a couple balls high? Absolutely. He also had 7 dropped passes. He was too aggressive instead of taking the short underneath stuff. Like I said before, this isn’t the first time he’s struggled against Tampa 2 and won’t be the last. He was a top 7 QB analytically before the downpour in Philly. He will be ok.

"good except against tampa 2" is a pretty spectacular caveat for an nfl quarterback

• Like 2

He's shown clear growth from last season. That's what you want to see in young QB's. He hasn't been who we thought but that doesn't mean he can't be. Coming back from things like yesterday are what will make or break him.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lancerman said:

5 teams have played the Texans. Only one of their opposing QB’s was as bad as Lawrence and it was Fields. This includes opposing QB’s like Ryan and Wilson who have been sucking this year and been massive disappointments. So the only QB you can argue did worse against them is also playing like crap. And the Texans haven’t exactly been playing quality QB’s this year outside of Herbert. So Lawrence being at the bottom is an indictment on him and his play. 

I’ll say it again for those in the back. If Lawrence was objectively evaluated outside of the draft hype he’d be viewed the same way Wilson was and we’d be worrying about an imminent bust scenario. Because of his hype he’s getting a ton of excuses and one or two decent games are being used as evidence of some major turnaround. 

He’s a massive disappointment at this point by any standards.

From the final game of last season to the Eagles game this season, he had a 9/1 TD/INT ratio. He had a turnover palooza in Philly (INT/4 lost fumbles) and made a horrible throw against the Texans yesterday. Hasn’t had a fumble this season besides that Eagles game. Not gonna let a turnover filled game in a downpour and a defense he’s struggled against throughout his short career, negate the growth he’s shown this season. He will rebound.

Edited by KhanYouDigIt

5 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

From the final game of last season to the Eagles game this season, he had a 9/1 TD/INT ratio. He had a turnover palooza in Philly (INT/4 lost fumbles) and made a horrible throw against the Texans yesterday. Hasn’t had a fumble this season besides that Eagles game. Not gonna let a turnover filled game in a downpour and a defense he’s struggled against throughout his short career, negate the growth he’s shown this season. He will rebound.

In 5 games this year he’s had two games with a rating above 90 which is a standard benchmark in this league. Those two games are the only games he had with a completion percentage above 60%.  And one of those games was against a terrible Colts team. 

Give him credit for the Chargers game, but that’s about it. He’s been mostly subpar and the best thing you can say is he toned down the interceptions until the last two weeks. 

I get you want to be optimistic on him. Maybe he will turn it around. History is against it though and he’s way below what a player of his caliber was supposed to be 

20 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

He's shown clear growth from last season. That's what you want to see in young QB's. He hasn't been who we thought but that doesn't mean he can't be. Coming back from things like yesterday are what will make or break him.

I agree with this - I think our evaluation is spotty nowadays because we expect everyone to come out like Mahomes or Herbert or Burrow. Nobody here will admit it, but I'm sure there are plenty of posters in this thread who wrote Josh Allen off after Y2.

I'll give credibility to the generational tag Lawrence was given - he might not be in that Elway/Manning/Luck tier, but that's not precluding him from being a good QB. He's making incremental improvement - it's not at the pace we expect it, but that's more to us not knowing what we are seeing moreso than him not improving.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I agree with this - I think our evaluation is spotty nowadays because we expect everyone to come out like Mahomes or Herbert or Burrow. Nobody here will admit it, but I'm sure there are plenty of posters in this thread who wrote Josh Allen off after Y2.

I'll give credibility to the generational tag Lawrence was given - he might not be in that Elway/Manning/Luck tier, but that's not precluding him from being a good QB. He's making incremental improvement - it's not at the pace we expect it, but that's more to us not knowing what we are seeing moreso than him not improving.

Worth noting that Trevor Lawrence in year 2 is only 5 years out of HS. Luck, Herbert, and Burrow all stayed as seniors, and I believe all 3 redshirted too.

Expecting him to go through the development curve the same way 2 years younger isn't fair.

• Like 2