Trevor Lawrence has arrived

notthatbluestuff

50 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

In hindsight.

Anyone else here old enough to remember when Andrew Luck was nothing but a Spider 2 Y Banana checkdown artist?

Unpopular opinion, but even in hindsight I don't feel like Luck ever really lived up to the hype given to him. 

An indictment of him? No, he was a good QB that had some great years. 

An indictment of the absurd hyperbole people attach to their favorite QBs in the draft? Absolutely. 

Truth is, he wasn't really on some HoF pace production wise. He may have picked up the pace or enough other accolades along the way to warrant a look, but he was decidedly closer to Matt Ryan than Peyton Manning in terms of being an all-timer. Were his name Kirk Cousins or Alex Smith, he's not remembered as a surefire HoF QB. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You've been a Jets fan way too long to not get how draft upside works.

I understand it well thank you.  Just pointing out the loose use of the word generational and the expectations that it carries.  Far more players would fit that description if it was how Daniel described it.  It should carry weight and sky high expectations if it's being used.  

3 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Unpopular opinion, but even in hindsight I don't feel like Luck ever really lived up to the hype given to him. 

An indictment of him? No, he was a good QB that had some great years. 

An indictment of the absurd hyperbole people attach to their favorite QBs in the draft? Absolutely. 

Truth is, he wasn't really on some HoF pace production wise. He may have picked up the pace or enough other accolades along the way to warrant a look, but he was decidedly closer to Matt Ryan than Peyton Manning in terms of being an all-timer. Were his name Kirk Cousins or Alex Smith, he's not remembered as a surefire HoF QB. 

I disagree with the take, but appreciate that at least you know what I'm talking about.

The second that Luck retired early, any criticism of his career stopped overnight, and his career got romanticized into the star that burned too bright. Meanwhile, while he was playing, you'd have to bring up his injury record because people constantly questioned his love of football.

22 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

yawn. another day at the office

From a totally neutral perspective……. well, actually I like Lawrence and hope he does well………but please, please don’t read anything into a QB looking decent against the Raiders defence! Even the Broncos looked decent on offence against us 😄 we really are absolutely the best team to play if you want a false perspective of your offence.

I’d say in honesty that Lawrence wasn’t great or even particularly good, made some pretty inaccurate throws, seemed his timing was off and looked lost most of the first half but in credit he did step up when needed, ran nicely at times and made a few really big throws. I wouldn’t read too much at all into his performance this game sadly 😉

15 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

From a totally neutral perspective……. well, actually I like Lawrence and hope he does well………but please, please don’t read anything into a QB looking decent against the Raiders defence! Even the Broncos looked decent on offence against us 😄 we really are absolutely the best team to play if you want a false perspective of your offence.

I’d say in honesty that Lawrence wasn’t great or even particularly good, made some pretty inaccurate throws, seemed his timing was off and looked lost most of the first half but in credit he did step up when needed, ran nicely at times and made a few really big throws. I wouldn’t read too much at all into his performance this game sadly 😉

What? His incompletions were drop, throwaway, thrown behind Engram, pass breakup down sideline to Marvin Jones, spike and a tipped pass intended for Kirk…..

44 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Were his name Kirk Cousins or Alex Smith, he's not remembered as a surefire HoF QB. 

People think this?

Dude had maybe a year or two, tops, where he was a top 5ish QB. Not even an elite one. I never hear anyone talking about Luck as a would-be HOFer.

46 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I mean he was insanely efficient. Went down 17-0 and consistently marched down the field with just about every possession we had (including the drive where we missed the FG from 45 yards) after that. Believe he started the second half 12/12 until he got that ball knocked down by Ferrell on 3rd down. Etienne started the game with 8 rushes for 13 yards, so it’s not like we leaned on that success the whole way through either.

Raiders defense or not, the efficiency/success rate were spectacular as the chart you quoted indicated. Not really sure what you took issue with besides the bad pitch and a couple misses like the one to Engram tbh.

30 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

What? His incompletions were drop, throwaway, thrown behind Engram, pass breakup down sideline to Marvin Jones, spike and a tipped pass intended for Kirk…..

That’s what I saw in my honest opinion. I think he’ll be good and it’ll be great for Jags supporters to have a QB but he wasn’t good in the first half. Much better in the second of course and he rose when the occasion demanded it so that’s a great sign, but take it with a pinch of salt as our D makes everyone look like Warren Moon 😢

3 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Manning and Luck lived up to the generational hype and right now Lawrence is not.

Hard disagree on Luck. He was good (better than Lawrence, surely) but he absolutely did not live up to a generational tag. Heck, he's not even the best QB from his draft, Russell Wilson has better accolades and numbers.

Whether or not its his fault is up for debate - but if we're giving Luck a caviat, why can't we give Lawrence one?

• Like 2