Trevor Lawrence has arrived

notthatbluestuff

2 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Grading Luck as "generational" depends on how you grade that subjective term. If you take QBs in his age range only, he was top probably top 3. In that kind of grading system, all 3 of Brady, Manning, and Brees can be considered "generational" as well. But there's a clear dropoff from that generation to the next one and it kind of lets the next crop of QBs off the hook IMO.

However, when the term "generational" is thrown around, you don't expect that kind of talent to blend in with a lesser QB class. By that I mean you expect that QB to stand out, compete for MVPs, make All-Pro teams, etc. Can anyone say Luck was a real standout among Russell Wilson, Matthew Stafford, and Cam Newton?

Patrick Mahomes is living up to that term. Josh Allen is far closer than Luck ever was when playing.

Luck was more impressive than Lawrence so far for sure. He was closer to living up to the term as of now, but that doesn't mean he actually did. That's not his fault because he was a very good QB that most teams would be more than happy with and the Colts certainly got what they wanted from their #1 pick, but that doesn't mean he was a generational player.

He can beat Deshaun who is a top 5 qb

So that makes him generational.

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I didn't include DJ because he was a bit before 2005 if I recall, but I freaking loved him.

Williams I didn't just because he was taken over Bush and their GM got a TON of flack for that.

Suh is a GREAT call.

Von Miller, Sean Taylor, and Peterson are great calls.

Just checked DJ was 2005 on the nose. I think he and Curry are cleanly better than any other LB prospect, but I'm tempted to throw Patrick Willis' name in the ring.

And yeah there are enough DL, that's usually where the best prospects overall end up. And I guess apparently I love DeCastro, Nelson may knock him down - if Nelson came out first DeCastro would never have gotten the hype he did. Same with Earl Thomas, may have been a little late compared to how good he was, but he was incredible

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BofaDeez54927 said:

Just by memory, wasn't Sam Bradford considered a generational prospect? There was a lot of chatter that he'd be taken #1OA in 2009 if he had declared. If not, then he's about as close as you can be without being one. 

Nah man. There was a big contingent of people who thought Suh should be the first overall pick. Bradford ain’t even close.

Lawrence and Luck are the two that are generational QB prospects in the last decade plus.

Probably the closest between those two was Joe Burrow. And that’s not particularly close.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

Nah man. There was a big contingent of people who thought Suh should be the first overall pick. Bradford ain’t even close.

Do you have a link to that?

I remember that draft well, and my recall of Bradford was that he was the clear #1 pick, would have also gone number 1 in 2008, and as a prospect, he was considered an above average but not elite #1 overall type QB. The big concern was injuries (whoopsies) and arm strength, but he had everything else, and was commonly thought of as an elite athlete too. The media made a big deal about him being a near scratch golfer and the best ping pong player in the locker room, that kinda stuff.

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Do you have a link to that?

I remember that draft well, and my recall of Bradford was that he was the clear #1 pick, would have also gone number 1 in 2008, and as a prospect, he was considered an above average but not elite #1 overall type QB. The big concern was injuries (whoopsies) and arm strength, but he had everything else, and was commonly thought of as an elite athlete too. The media made a big deal about him being a near scratch golfer and the best ping pong player in the locker room, that kinda stuff.

Probably not. It was an opinion piece before the draft that they should take Suh and McCoy instead of Bradford. Since it’s a decade and change old, I doubt I could find it, but I do remember reading it around the time.

I wanna say it was Fox Sports because they were the sports site linked up with msn, which was my home page at the time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

If Lawrence and Luck weren’t generational QB prospects, I would love a list of who is.

Christian Hackenberg in 2013. 

Lest we forget, he was a damn near lock to go 1:1 when the time came, as a freaking Freshman. It was foretold and practically guaranteed by some. 

He just didn't have the team around him to keep that hype train before his flaws were exposed. 

"Generational" is too much hyperbole since it increasingly gets slapped on virtually any Freshman starter at a blue chip program that has a hot season. It may not last, indeed it usually doesn't, but it doesn't mean the outrageous hype wasn't there. 

Edited by ronjon1990

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

Probably not. It was an opinion piece before the draft that they should take Suh and McCoy instead of Bradford. Since it’s a decade and change old, I doubt I could find it, but I do remember reading it around the time.

I wanna say it was Fox Sports because they were the sports site linked up with msn, which was my home page at the time.

Yep, you weren't lying. Not exactly the same thing, but close enough

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/mccoy-sooners-carry-first-round-clout

While some wonder if Nebraska's Ndamukong Suh will be the top pick, the Sooners are providing the Rams with plenty of options. McCoy, Bradford and Williams give Oklahoma the opportunity to have three top 10 picks for the first time in the program's history and become only the sixth school to have three players taken that high in the past 50 years. Auburn was the last to pull off the feat, when Ronnie Brown, Cadillac Williams and Carlos Rogers were among the first nine players taken in 2005.

I'd think that Kellen Winslow Jr was viewed as a generational prospect.  He ended up being the highest TE ever selected, a the time, and had a ton of media coverage around him.  He was basically used as the national face of those loaded Miami teams, as a TE.  He and Pitts were both more hyped than Vernon Davis, imo.  

Eric Berry had more hype, in his own class, than Earl Thomas.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

I'd think that Kellen Winslow Jr was viewed as a generational prospect.  He ended up being the highest TE ever selected, a the time, and had a ton of media coverage around him.  He was basically used as the national face of those loaded Miami teams, as a TE.  He and Pitts were both more hyped than Vernon Davis, imo.  

Eric Berry had more hype, in his own class, than Earl Thomas.  

2 of my final cuts. Didn't think Kellen was better than Vernon. Pitts is the best pure prospect, but 20 years later the bar got moved up higher imo.

Apparently I'm overrating how good Earl Thomas was as a prospect, but I remember him being everywhere on that otherwise mediocre Colt McCoy Texas team.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Lawrence and Luck are the two that are generational QB prospects in the last decade plus.

Probably the closest between those two was Joe Burrow. And that’s not particularly close.

I don't know, probably going #1 in consecutive drafts and getting chosen over a generational prospect says it's pretty close to me.

That shoulder surgery gave a few people pause, though.