Week 5 Thread: (2-2) Titans @ (1-3) Commanders

MikeT14

Losing out in the hopes your franchise will turn around because of high draft picks & new hired coaches is not the answer.

The Lions have been doing that for years.

The Jets have been doing that for years.

The Browns have been doing that for years.

Etc. Rinse & repeat.

What you do need is a good General Manager who is good at Free Agency, good at the draft, good at making trades & good at hiring coaches.

It's why the Eagles are where they are & why we are where we are.

It's sad, when the football future website fans like you & me, can identify the weaknesses in the team & know what positions need to be addressed (like LBers for example)

But the current regime cannot.

That's the problem with giving a Head Coach full control. 

The reason why Washington Redskins/Team/Commanders can't win isn't because of poor coaching, poor players.

It's because they haven't had a true Football Manager to coordinate all the above.

You go to a Wendy's & order a burger...right?

That Manager is making sure everybody is doing their job. Coordinating all positions on the floor. It's why things run smoothly or supposed too.

Some Wendy's Managers are better than others.

We don't have a Wendy's Manager.

We have a bunch a kids having fun, throwing french fries at each other, screwing up the orders, showing up late, etc.

And we the fans?

We're the Customers & we're pissed off.

Until we get someone to run things, it won't matter if we have the #1 pick. It will still be chaos in the kitchen.

36 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Losing out in the hopes your franchise will turn around because of high draft picks & new hired coaches is not the answer.

Etc. Rinse & repeat.

What you do need is a good General Manager who is good at Free Agency, good at the draft, good at making trades & good at hiring coaches.

It's sad, when the football future website fans like you & me, can identify the weaknesses in the team & know what positions need to be addressed (like LBers for example)

The reason why Washington Redskins/Team/Commanders can't win isn't because of poor coaching, poor players.

It's because they haven't had a true Football Manager to coordinate all the above.

That Manager is making sure everybody is doing their job. Coordinating all positions on the floor. It's why things run smoothly or supposed too.

We have a bunch a kids having fun, throwing french fries at each other, screwing up the orders, showing up late, etc.

And we the fans?

Until we get someone to run things, it won't matter if we have the #1 pick. It will still be chaos in the kitchen.

Jets & Lions are kind of turning it around now that they have better coaches.

The Browns did turn it around finally. They made the playoffs a few years ago, almost made the playoffs last year & have a very solid team. They’ll probably be a playoff team next year bc they’ll have Watson with an entire offseason under his belt to go w/ their great running game & D.

The Bengals turned it around. The Dolphins looked like they turned around before Tua’s concussion. The Jags have seemed to turn it around, right now it looks like they very well could win the AFC SOUTH.

22 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Glad to get back to the forum. Experienced a direct hit from Ian. Just got internet back and this is a nice distraction from the destruction this hurricane caused us. Never want to experience that again 🙏🙏🙏

Glad all is well, or as well as it can be after that devastation. Scary stuff, and I hope you and your loved ones made it through as best you could. 

And we’re glad you’re back too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Glad to get back to the forum. Experienced a direct hit from Ian. Just got internet back and this is a nice distraction from the destruction this hurricane caused us. Never want to experience that again 🙏🙏🙏

Hope you are doing well.  I remember Isabel here, and that was a giant rain storm coming up the bay, not all that you guys got.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aceinthehouse said:

Etc. Rinse & repeat.

And we the fans?

Yes, we are now one of those franchises that we hope lucks into getting it right to get a competitive window.  

We need a GM who can chart a course for years, even decades, like some of the other teams have.  And it is not the coach-centered approach, who aside from Belichick, doesn’t work.  And even now, I’ll say it looks like Brady masked some of BB.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Glad to have you back, my uncle lives in Bonita Springs, but not near the water. Luckily, he never lost power.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Yes, we are now one of those franchises that we hope lucks into getting it right to get a competitive window.  

We need a GM who can chart a course for years, even decades, like some of the other teams have.  And it is not the coach-centered approach, who aside from Belichick, doesn’t work.  And even now, I’ll say it looks like Brady masked some of BB.  

Agree with you totally about where we are, of course — we are definitely in that position where we need to get lucky with a star QB and let him take the reins. Also completely agree about needing a GM who guides the ship — that’s the absolute key to the deal, we’ve all gotten to see firsthand two separate (and strangely different) stints of well-regarded coaches failing to manage the personnel side effectively.

My only quibble with your post is that it seems to imply that we’re in an uncommon position, in the sense that we need to stumble into a QB to ever have a chance at sustained success. I think that’s the case for most teams around the league, to be honest. How many franchises around the league have proven to have a machine in place that’s able to keep winning regardless of the guy under center for them?

Baltimore is one, for sure, and the best-run team in the league for my money. Maybe Pittsburgh, although Ben was there for such a long time that it’s kinda hard to tell. Not looking great thus far, post-Ben. Sorta the same thing with New England, post-Brady. Kansas City had a good team prior to Mahomes, but they were never a postseason factor until they got their guy. San Francisco seems like they should be an example, but they’ve also had a lot of terrible years interspersed with their deep runs. I don’t know that TEN or IND has really done enough (for long enough) to put themselves in that class. Maybe the Eagles might be pushing toward that status?

I guess my point is that I think it’s true of the vast majority of the league that, for the most part, they go as their QB position goes. Teams can stay on top for about as long as they have a stable franchise guy in place. But otherwise it’s always going to be this year-to-year, “try to catch lightning in a bottle” status. The number of teams who can consistently win without getting “lucky” and landing a top QB is startlingly few, I’d say. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

No talented GM is going to work for Snyder.

I always read stuff like this and then Snyder hired whoever he wants. It’s like the “no coach will ever come here” meanwhile Schottenheimer, Spurrier, Gibbs, Shanahan and now Rivera all coached for Snyder. Not saying you’re totally wrong Knight but I just think money talks for the most part.

• Like 1

I disagree with the opinion that no young talented front office personnel person in another organization will work for Snyder as a GM. I know one for sure who would I believe.

If Snyder fired Rivera after the season & offered Kyle Smith the GM job in mid January & allowed Kyle Smith to hire his own HC while allowing him to remake the scouting department, I think Kyle Smith would take the job as would a lot of guys in their late 30s or 40s who’ve been working in an NFL front office for a decade or two waiting for a shot to be a GM & build their own team.

While working for Snyder sucks, there’s only 32 GM jobs in the NFL, just like there’s only 32 HC jobs in the NFL. If a guy is able to double or triple their current salary - or more - they’re going to take that chance & that $! Who wouldn’t?

@lavar703 I think you’d enjoy this article.

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/obsessed-with-the-process-how-kyle-smith-became-terry-fontenot-s-right-hand-man

Edited by turtle28